• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    Yeah, but at the moment I'm in a miserable job getting an ''ok'' salary. If I take this, I might still be in a miserable job but with a much better salary. But I'm not fussed about how much $ I'm getting at the moment. My gripe is my job is boring, so I don't really want to go to another boring job. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    More $$$, free parking, it's near by, it's a 10 minute drive to work instead of a 50 minute car/train/walk trip. AAAGH! sad cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Exactly. I'm completely prozaic in the matter: you work to live, not the other way around, so if a job offers you the measn to do the things in life you really like *I* would take it.

But then that's just me.
    Job satisfaction is important, sure, but never even near as important as life satisfaction!

shocked
    How many hours of your life do you work? More than there's left to do other things I guess!

A bad job can mentally kill you. Ever had a job where you were counting the minutes? Like I said, the paycheck can't help you from going crazy.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, screw Martijn's opinion! tongue biggrin

I have 5 days of sufferring for 2 days of moderate happiness. wink dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    More $$$, free parking, it's near by, it's a 10 minute drive to work instead of a 50 minute car/train/walk trip. AAAGH! sad cry

AND YOU ARE STILL THINKIN ABOUT IT?!?!?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    If the job is too boring, don't do it. It will drive you nuts, no matter what the paycheck is!

I don't agree, really!
    If the paycheck really provides what you really want, then I'd do any job, no matter how boring.

I really like my job now, so I'm putting a lot of effort in it and getting a lot out of it.
    I'm not paid bazillions, but I'm doing more or less OK.

In the other case, I'd ask for bazillions and simply find my satisfaction elsewhere (volunteer work, or life experiences I would otherwise never be able to afford: trips to South America, go hang gliding, buy a house in Spain. Whatever!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    At the moment, as I'm still 18, a huge salary isn't as important as actually enjoying what I do. Work seems to kill whatever social life you have before, so now I really need a job that I don't hate. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Ever had a job where you were counting the minutes?

Oh definitely, but it's all about balance!
    If I had the means and the opportunity to do what I really want in life, I'd be ecstatic having any such job, because I'd know that real life would start when I'd get home.

Obviously I'd also not put a minute more in the job than would be required (something I'm doing with alarming regularity now!). It'd just be occupational therapy to me.

Money ALONE can't buy you happiness...but it definitely can help you towards fulfilling those dreams.
    Obviously that implies you should have these dreams and ambitions in the first place.
    Otherwise it'd be an empty existence indeed...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    now I really need a job that I don't hate. smile

There's your decision. RIGHT THERE.

Mate, I'm over twice your age (I can't believe I just said that... cry I could be your father, Luke. Tony. Whatever.), so my considerations are notably different from yours.

You've just explained your reason.
    Stick to it.
    It's not so complicated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    If the job is too boring, don't do it. It will drive you nuts, no matter what the paycheck is!

I don't agree, really!
    If the paycheck really provides what you really want, then I'd do any job, no matter how boring.

I mean really boring. Really really boring. No music, no reading, no internet, just boring work from 9.00 till 17.00.
    I couldn't do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Anthony wrote
    Yeah, but at the moment I'm in a miserable job getting an ''ok'' salary. If I take this, I might still be in a miserable job but with a much better salary.

Well, that makes the decision easy, doens't it? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think most really, really, REALLy boring jobs don't pay that well, so that's a lose-lose situation anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey wait! 9 to 5? You mean a paid lunch break???
    WHERE CAN I SIGN UP???
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think the worst thing about taking a job is what do you do if you hate immediatly hate it. It's almost taking a risk when all you know about the job is what you read on a piece of paper and talked about at an interview. I wish there were 'demo' days where you could do stuff in the role for a week and then decide whether to take it or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yes, it's always a risk, leaving something familiar for something else you don't know yet. On the other hand, I think when you are young it's good to experience several different jobs. You will learn new things there.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well, I've got another company getting back to me as well, and if I get the job there (I really hope I do) I'll immediatly take it. I guess this one is kind of a backup, but I don't know whether to take it if the one I want falls through. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Brr, I don't want to think of that yet.

Unfortuantely, after June, I'll need to. sad

Anthony, I'd go for the other one you're getting at.
    Not being sure isn't very good either.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I didn't get the one I really wanted in the end, but this other one is a shizz load of $$$. I'll book all my holiday now, accept the job, and when they question "but you said you had no holiday booked", I'll say "correct, yesterday at the interview, no holiday was booked!" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Excellent, dear boy. Excellent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

wha' d' fu....a TRIBBLE!? shocked cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No. Those are elsewhere.
    Besides, they look NOTHING like lolcats.
    Nothing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Martin, you gotta be a more respectful man.
  1. Anthony wrote
    I didn't get the one I really wanted in the end, but this other one is a shizz load of $$$. I'll book all my holiday now, accept the job, and when they question "but you said you had no holiday booked", I'll say "correct, yesterday at the interview, no holiday was booked!" biggrin

Sorry you didn't get the job you wanted. Maybe it's time to move onwards and upwards to this new job with the extra money.
    beer

BTW, why is the dollar sign the default symbol for money rather than the pound sign? The way that things are you'd get a lot more ££££££ for your $$$!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    This day started of really well. The day care centre just let me know that next school year the kids can come on tuesdays! We will switch primary school but the day care centre with that school was full on tuesdays with a long waiting list as well. And since I can only teach on tuesdays I had a big problem. Now apparently they are extending the place, so there's room for more children. Phew! This means a huge worry is off my mind!
    cheesy

Also, last week when we came back from vacation, I got a letter from the hewe organisation. They offer all teachers a two year training for free! It's a bit complicated but the story is this: our profession is not officially recognized and has always been dependent on subsidy. So salaries haven't been that great either. The organisation has been fighting for state subsidy for a while now and last year we got an amount of money for training. (This was very good news, although we were aiming for money for salary, otherwise there will be no teachers left in the first place!). Apparently the organisation developped a special training to improve our professionalism according to the standards in primary education, so that we can ask for proportionate loan. It has always been a goal to level up our training and loan with primary school teachers and to get our job officially recognized so this is going in the right direction!

I'll probably sign up for the training of course. Now I'm qualified to teach hewe in primary school, with the two year training I had and the certificate. That training always had a follow up of three years that qualified teachers to teach in the lower classes of secundary school as well and this certificate was recognized (hbo bacherlor). This is the training they're offering right now, but in two years and for free! Yippee!!
    punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm taking this afternoon off. I was just going to go home and do nothing, but I've decided to make a day of it. Off to see Speed Racer and then do a bit of DVD/CD/game shopping!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Now I'm qualified to teach hewe in primary school, with the two year training I had and the certificate. That training always had a follow up of three years that qualified teachers to teach in the lower classes of secundary school as well and this certificate was recognized (hbo bacherlor). This is the training they're offering right now, but in two years and for free! Yippee!!
    punk

Damn! shocked
    Congratulations! That is GREAT news!

Does that mean you will at some time be a full-time teacher at both primary and secondary schools?

(Oh, And what does HEWE stand for exactly. I know it's to do with Humanist and life philosphies and such, but I just can't figure out the acronym! shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    Congrats Bregje! You're really going to be busy the next years then!
    Everything smoothens over there. cheesy wink

Is it because of the new house?
    It haz magick! shocked cat

Btw, I had asked in an other thread, but don't know if you answered already, how as the trip to Prague?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Does that mean you will at some time be a full-time teacher at both primary and secondary schools?

(Oh, And what does HEWE stand for exactly. I know it's to do with Humanist and life philosphies and such, but I just can't figure out the acronym! shame )

Hewe stands for humanist ethical and world view education.

I have no idea where I will be teaching! But considering the lack of teachers maybe one day I will teach in secundary school as well. The good thing about that is that school hires you, now I work freelance not under the best conditions. Let's just hope I like that age group. It takes certain skills to work with adolescents... for now I'm more attracted to primary school. And professional education. If I add another two years of training it will be a master and then I'd be qualified to teach ethics as well in professional education, that would be so cool. But now I'm thinking at least four years ahead and I don't want to do that. I have to take one year at a time. If parents decide they don't want hewe anymore then I'm out of work and teaching practice anyway!