• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Although i can understand what you're saying there Pawel mate, there's absolutely nothing generic with M:I:III. His rhythms, arrangements and theme manipulation is like nothing i can think of right now. It's way more complex than the majority of the good action scores out there, it just needs a bit of attention and focused listening to actually realize what he's doing with his orchestra!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    I was disappointed by M:I-III. Could have been *much* more melodic and a bit less generic, really

More Schifrin, I think, would have helped. It's a pretty lightweight spy adventure film, it needed a less apocalyptic score at times. Something that matched the film's self-conscious jokes about being a spy film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really enjoy most of his stuff. I thought this year, Ratatouille was very fine.

However, I'm disappointed that Davis isn't doing this new Wachowski film. I'm sure the film will be awful beyond belief, but even so, Davis was inspired to extraordinary levels on The Matrix films.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    all of them, hehe, I love the guy. but I would say, all his Medal of Honor game scores and Secret Weapons, and one more Ide mention thats not here is his The Lost World game score, its in a word Outstanding!!

sd smile

Giacchino Rules!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Although i can understand what you're saying there Pawel mate, there's absolutely nothing generic with M:I:III. His rhythms, arrangements and theme manipulation is like nothing i can think of right now. It's way more complex than the majority of the good action scores out there, it just needs a bit of attention and focused listening to actually realize what he's doing with his orchestra!

Well, when it comes to the orchestrations he does rework his Lost ideas, really, adding Schifrin to it. Had it been (like Franz said) more Schifrinesque and less all-dissonant, it would have been much better. ANd he isn't doing much more with the orchestra IMHO than he does with it in more melodic and, I dare to say, inspired MoH: Airborne or even Ratatouille even if it's completely different genre

Somebody knows when and how did GIacchino become so percussive, BTW? I love his knack for percussion!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Finally a film that gives him the oppurtunity not to write in other composer's styles.
  4. Somebody knows when and how did GIacchino become so percussive, BTW? I love his knack for percussion!

he always had that, but in the Medal of Honor days he was showing a much more melodic voice, now he's showing a more rhythmic voice, and for that percussion always works wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Airborne, Ratatouille were both melodic and percussive though!. Relative lack of percussion in first Medal of Honor scores I'd call a reference to Williams.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Airborne, Ratatouille were both melodic and percussive though!. Relative lack of percussion in first Medal of Honor scores I'd call a reference to Williams.

true, but if you compare Airborne and Frontline both styles couldn't be more different, Frontline builds continiously upon its ideas and expands them to the biggest version yet, Airborne shows the themes but puts them in the MI3 rhythmic speeder and gives them an energie boost unimaginable

I like both styles very much solely because Giacchino adds more depth to his music than most
    I think its just a matter of Giacchino maturing, just look at the Williams of now and say 10 years ago, same thing
  7. Yes, very true. Giacchino matured a lot and that for 3 years (compare first MoH and Frontline)
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, very true. Giacchino matured a lot and that for 3 years (compare first MoH and Frontline)

so we understand one another Frodo Baggins biggrin wink
  9. Yeah biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think that when it comes to this generation, Giacchino is the best working composer alongside with Powell. Airborne (and Ratatouille) are heavily recommended, though I was disappointed by M:I-III. Could have been *much* more melodic and a bit less generic, really

Lost is amazing, I really like Alias too, what he does with that techno elements. In fact, I'd perhaps say the only disappointment for me was Mission: Impossible 3, really. Family Stone is not particularly amazing either. Looking forward to his Star Trek score the most.

Yeah I agree with you there. Pretty much everything I've heard of his has impressed me in one way or another. I wasn't too fond of Alias and The Family Stone...well it was a Christmas comedy, what do you expect? MI3 was also kinda a disappointment....it was like Alias in movie form almost and it reminded me too much of Beltrami
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    Antineutrino wrote
    Finally a film that gives him the oppurtunity not to write in other composer's styles.

Oh Jesus. Are we going there again? YAWN!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Somebody knows when and how did GIacchino become so percussive, BTW? I love his knack for percussion!

He always has been. When I attended the Underground sessions I couldn't believe how busy the ENTIRE percussion section was. Just listen to some of the timpani writing in that score. A very colourful composer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Interesting. It's not so obvious on the album, though! Yes, there was a large timpani solo in... what was that ? Returning to Paris? Other than that I found Giacchino being rather rhythmic in his string writing, which was more in tune with the referenced Williams sound.

My favorite Underground piece is The Battle of Monte Cassino, though I'd love it to have such a constant snare rhythm that e.g. Operation Varsity had...
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    Erik Woods wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Finally a film that gives him the oppurtunity not to write in other composer's styles.

Oh Jesus. Are we going there again? YAWN!

-Erik-

UGH...such an old/tired argument.....same thing's always said about one of my fav's Debney, too........
  11. While he might not be technically signed, on Monday (17th) giacchino will record full-blown trailer music for the "Star Trek" film.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. I honestly can´t wait to hear what he makes out of it...
  13. justin boggan wrote
    While he might not be technically signed, on Monday (17th) giacchino will record full-blown trailer music for the "Star Trek" film.

oh cool, always excellent when music is specifically scored for a trailer, this might be big wink
  14. He did the same for Abrams' M:I-III, mind you. Not the best movie. And score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    slant
  15. Not a fan of both... As I said, I do believe there could be much more melody in the score. When it's good, it's great and those are the Schifrin variations in the whole Rome sequence, because of the meter changes mostly, though (from 5/4 to 7/8 - just amazing idea), later it is nothing more than more apocalyptic version of Lost for higher ensemble, where it could be much less serious and actually melodic, which is a dying art in action music of today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not a fan of both... As I said, I do believe there could be much more melody in the score. When it's good, it's great and those are the Schifrin variations in the whole Rome sequence, because of the meter changes mostly, though (from 5/4 to 7/8 - just amazing idea), later it is nothing more than more apocalyptic version of Lost for higher ensemble, where it could be much less serious and actually melodic, which is a dying art in action music of today.

There is quite a bit of melody... and Giacchino is very melodic in his action writing or at least containing a recognizable motif.

There is a variation on The Plot melody in "Factory Rescue" And then Giacchino introduced his own about half way through.

That melody gets a kick ass workout in "Evacuation" Listen to the trumpets. I love that melody.

What about the heartbreaking horn melody in "Special Agent Lindsey Farris" Which then moves to piano and harp. Yes, the long sustained string note is right out of LOST... but then picks up the melody as the piece finishes.

IMF Escape contains the new IMF theme which is littered throughout the entire score.

And there is wicked "statement and echo" motif in "Hunting For Jules" which easily one of the greatest up tempo pieces Michael has ever written. I love whistling along with that piece whether whistling the statement or the echo. Absolutely incredible action piece.

As for the film... well, it's 10 million times better than that piece of trash John Woo put together.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THANK YOU!
  16. And there is wicked "statement and echo" motif in "Hunting For Jules" which easily one of the greatest up tempo pieces Michael has ever written. I love whistling along with that piece whether whistling the statement or the echo. Absolutely incredible action piece.

That tempo piece alone is one of Giacchino's best moments in his career, killer in the movie, killer on score, it shows what Giachino with just several notes

I whistle that too smile Let's be whistle brothers biggrin
  17. I can't whistle.

At all. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I can't whistle.

At all. rolleyes

Well, there's the problem right there! wink

-Erik-
  18. No, I don't think so biggrin
  19. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgl2g0XhBTE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.