• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    Thanks Justin. For those who doubt Giacchino's actually a f* genius.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. In a stark comparrison, I watched one with Elfman on the PotA re-visioning.

The orchestra felt bored, looked annoyed at times, the atmosphere was very quite like you had an angry librarian ready to pounce on you, and Elfman didn't move at all or get into the music. Occassionally he's throw his hands up in a prissy way and tell them to do it again while he tried (after 20 years of scoring) to find the right words to tell them what to do, even walked up to a musician like he was confronting the guy, and then watched him while he played it again.
    Damn.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007 edited
    See these as well:

f*.awesome!

Michael Giacchino scoring Mission Impossible III
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrDOV9ZJVxE

Michael Giacchino on scoring LOST
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=v1K4Fsk3rG8

Medal of Honor: Airborne Michael Giacchino Interview

http://youtube.com/watch?v=amht4_BzRuA

Michael Giacchino - Secret Weapons Over Normandy-04_Nemesis
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AvsQzEgywcI
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JNjYd3tPrwc

Michael Giacchino scores TURNING POINT FALL OF LIBERTY (soundtrack.net article)
    http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1024

Notice any similar patters in the atmosphere, music, way of working, general mood? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    note: play the last one loud, i CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT TO BE RELEASED!

Same goes for LOST SEASON 3 for which i've seen that the dvd box has just been released and i can't even begin describing how mad i'll get if the score isn't released too, in like a couple of months maximum?!? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    As I said, I do believe there could be much more melody in the score.

There is quite a bit of melody... and Giacchino is very melodic in his action writing or at least containing a recognizable motif.

Quite true, but maybe Pawel, like me, is more looking toward a true theme (i.e. a 4-minute recognizable, hummable unified entity, not a 4-note motif). I know we've butted heads over this before, but the main reason I'm still expecting it, is that Giacchino has the rest down pat.
    He writes action music like a younger John Williams might had done. He gets a sense of "epic" through. He understands different eras and their musical requirements. Heck, he's done the best non-Barry Barry score ever.
    ...but I'm still waiting for his Raiders March. His Leia's theme. His mark. Something he could take to a concert hall.

And the only reason I'm frustrated is that I sense, more than with any young composer out there, Giacchino's got the skills, the finesse and the historic sensitivity to actually make that happen.

I may be wrong of course. It may all just be wishful thinking on my part.
    But wouldn't that be a shame. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think his Medal of Honor theme is quite ... Raiders Marchy, in the terms you mean. Such a good theme, that gamers recognize immediately.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm...I'll put that score on again in a minute.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Michael Giacchino scoring Mission Impossible III
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrDOV9ZJVxE

That´s good!
    Too bad they focus too much in Schiffrin´s theme; I´d love to see the recordings of the other themes composed by Giacchino.
    And funny seeing Cruise "conducting" the orchestra; seems he´s having a great time. Always good when the producer takes care of the score/s for his film/s.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    ...but I'm still waiting for his Raiders March. His Leia's theme. His mark. Something he could take to a concert hall.

Do I have to find my scorereviews Giacchino post where I uploaded clips featuring various, fully developed Michael Giacchino themes.

ARGH!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know you did.
    I remember those clips, so don't bother on my account.

These are all fine.
    But that's not what I mean! You know that!

If you equate any of these -in essence very fine and worthwhile- compositions with something like Princess Leia's theme, it's obvious we have different expectations. I think I've made pretty clear what I hope to see/hear one day. And so far that, to my mind, hasn't materialized yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    Martijn wrote
    If you equate any of these -in essence very fine and worthwhile- compositions with something like Princess Leia's theme, it's obvious we have different expectations. I think I've made pretty clear what I hope to see/hear one day. And so far that, to my mind, hasn't materialized yet.

Well, when he gets something like a Star Wars and a director or producer who will ALLOW him to write in that Romantic, Korngoldian, Williamsesque style with themes a plenty, concert suites, etc... then I will jump for joy. But you know, like I do, that something like that will take nothing but miracle to materialize.

BTW, there will never be another Princess Leia's theme or Raiders theme. I think the day of those iconic movie scores and themes are going the way of the dodo. Sure, we have The Lord of the Rings, but can anyone here tell me what other ICONIC scores... composed in the last ten years... that could be played in a concert hall and get a standing ovation just from hearing one of two notes like the Raiders March or the Star Wars theme.

Anyway, I'm blabbering on... look what you are turning me into, Martijn. Stop it!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry mate. I do enjoy your little essays though. It's always good to be in the company of other passionate enthusiasts. smile

Sadly you have a point, though I'm not quite as pessimistic as all that. I think with the kind of talent we get now, the generation that's weaned on Star Wars and Raiders, we may well get a sort of "condensed" Romanticism: I know studios are less and less concerned with a thematic/melodic approach to film scoring (witness your point of The Lord Of The Rings being such a breath of fresh air (so to speak, it harkening back to influences of a century hence wink ) ), but Giacchino is exactly the kind of composer who could still come up with something as worthwhile as that, witness his already very motif/theme-riddled approach to his video game scores.

I know I should really put some additional effort into my expectation management, which tends to go through the roof, but I maintain this expectation: if it still happens, Giacchino will be the one to do it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    if it still happens, Giacchino will be the one to do it!

I agree with this statement 110%

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    if it still happens, Giacchino will be the one to do it!

I agree with this statement 110%

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more with Martijn here too. I know he's the one, currently, out of everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, there will never be another Princess Leia's theme or Raiders theme. I think the day of those iconic movie scores and themes are going the way of the dodo. Sure, we have The Lord of the Rings, but can anyone here tell me what other ICONIC scores... composed in the last ten years... that could be played in a concert hall and get a standing ovation just from hearing one of two notes like the Raiders March or the Star Wars theme.

Hedwig´s Theme and the Pirates of the Caribbean Main Theme immediately spring to mind. Especially the latter one will get the reaction you propose without any doubt. I agree that those lack in the overall iconic measurement, but those themes certainly are able to get that result from any audience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Hedwig´s Theme and the Pirates of the Caribbean Main Theme immediately spring to mind. Especially the latter one will get the reaction you propose without any doubt. I agree that those lack in the overall iconic measurement, but those themes certainly are able to get that result from any audience.

With Williams' being one of the two composers you listed. As for Pirates... I've been to a few concerts where this is played and it didn't get the same reaction as when Raiders or Star Wars was played. Actually, there was no reaction.

Anyway...

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    With Williams' being one of the two composers you listed.

Well you didn´t say it had to be someone else. wink

As for Pirates... I've been to a few concerts where this is played and it didn't get the same reaction as when Raiders or Star Wars was played. Actually, there was no reaction.

I´ve heard about very exciting reactions during a Klassik Radio concert this year. On the other hand, the same guy said the audience was exploding when the orchestra started the Imperial March. This seems to prove your point, but I think ten years from now Potter and Pirates will be considered classics and will get a similar reaction as the other classics you talk about. Of course the classics are greeted with applause. That´s why they are called classics. And there is no doubt that the themes that became famous during our youth have a specific status in our generation. But each generation will have their own themes which they will consider to be iconic, and LOTR, Potter, and Pirates will do it for the current one.
  3. Sadly this is true. He's a Pirate became a modern classic...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sadly this is true. He's a Pirate became a modern classic...

Sad indeed!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And why "Sadly" ? Sheesh rolleyes
  4. Because everything Zimmer's written before is there and it was always somewhat...

better?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, it defines Zimmer in so many ways.
    What a great theme! biggrin

And it is so catchy.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because everything Zimmer's written before is there and it was always somewhat...
    better?

Ook! shocked
    Beg to differ... (Rain Man? Days Of Thunder? To name but two clunkers?)

In fact, I like He's A Pirate.
    Nice infectious tune, which in my book in itself is already a damn sight better than te majority of the musical wallpaper going on these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because everything Zimmer's written before is there and it was always somewhat...

better?

Exactly. There's so much better Zimmer out there that Pirates. Imagine hearing "Show Me Your Firetruck" with full symphony, chorus and massive percussion backing. Now that would have people standing on their feet. As for Pirates... the theme is the theme from Gladiator and the Pirates score is just plain awful. Sure, some here love it because it plays well on CD... but it was the WRONG, WRONG, WRONG score for that film. AWFUL!!!

-Erik-

Giacchino rules... to stay on topic. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never even seen the film. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

Days of Thunder does suck... but Rain Man is one of Zimmer's earliest successes. A perfect score for that film. Excellent main theme!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhhhh. WhaddaYOU know? wink
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

Days of Thunder does suck... but Rain Man is one of Zimmer's earliest successes. A perfect score for that film. Excellent main theme!

-Erik-

Days of Thunders sucks shocked wink
    my god, what a perfect piece of typical '80 fun
    not his best but surely a wonderful fun listen
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

-Erik-

Days of Thunders sucks shocked wink
    my god, what a perfect piece of typical '80 fun
    not his best but surely a wonderful fun listen

That STUPID main theme does not sound like a raw, powerful NASCAR theme to me? It belongs in some lame ass 80's comedy. It's friggin' wimpy. It's like Driving Miss Daisy 2. So wrong. Oooooh... there's some cheap electronic guitar. It's laughable. I'll take Talladega Nights over this trash.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    OH YA... REMEMBER FOLKS.

THIS IS A MICHAEL GIACCHINO THREAD

Let's take the Zimmer bashing to another thread!

I'm as guilty as the rest of you!

-Erik-