• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods (quoting Demetris) wrote
    He is a man that doesn’t just underscore a scene; he’s a man that proceeds way beyond the surface, into the depth of the scene and its meaning, truly elevating it and really capturing the inner musical voice of each on-screen bit of visual he composes for.

This is interesting. I like his albums a lot but can't say I had noticed this about him - the only movies I've seen scored by him are the two Pixar ones and Mission Impossible, and that seemed like "standard" modern-day surface-level scoring to me. (I say "standard" not in a derogatory sense, since I think he's a fantastic composer.) I wonder if you could give some examples so I can investigate?

One of the things I like about Southall's reviews is that he often voices what I am thinking! Until I met him, I wasn't convinced I didn't also live in Bristol and work as an actuary.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Bregt, what would you say to considering a new in-forum law that would ban for life all those b*****d Giacchino / Lost haters? Eh? Come on, make my day man!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I believe there's a difference between 'hate' and 'confusion'.

And just for that, Demetris, I'm giving you -10 points in the Tango game! tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt, what would you say to considering a new in-forum law that would ban for life all those b*****d Giacchino / Lost haters? Eh? Come on, make my day man!

I'm not going to disagree with that. Giacchino is making his way up, and when he's at the top he's going to be HUGE! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't open new forums anymore for some time. tongue

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to my first ban.
    To raise chances, I'd better open new forums.

And so, all things go in circles.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I say you make it Demetris becuase he's got the most posts. tongue Let the rest of us catch up. biggrin
  3. What I like about Giacchino's work is that it's a welcome return to mostly pure, orchestral music. It's a dying art which needs preserving. I think we're getting past the 90s stage of being impressed by composers who only seem to string samples and textures together, painting by numbers, etc. and we're looking at a new wave of composers who can really write music, understand harmony etc. It's interesting to note that games music has become very orchestral and traditional in this way of late, which is kind of ironic when you consider it's the most high tech medium.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And your theory, Dazzled, also explains why Alias sucks! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    And your theory, Dazzled, also explains why Alias sucks! tongue

ALIAS, THE SCORE SUCKS?! AND LOST SEASON 2 IS CRAPTCACULAR?

oh; oh; oh i know who's getting banned! oh; oh; pick me! pick me!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lol! biggrin

What's so good about Lost season 2? It seems almost comical for some reason. confused

And ok, I lied about Alias. It does contain some good action music, but hardly any of it has been released! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Meh; go watch 24 or something as lame tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes, 24! biggrin

I will not defend season 6 though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Damn, the seventh season should be in the air by now...damn strike! crazy crazy

(oh, and I DO defend the 6th season)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm with you there Marselus. At least Kiefer's jail sentence is nearly over. See Demetris, 24 actors REALLY DO go to jail! I don't see anyone from the cast of Lost actually going to live on a desert island. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I'm with you there Marselus. At least Kiefer's jail sentence is nearly over. See Demetris, 24 actors REALLY DO go to jail! I don't see anyone from the cast of Lost actually going to live on a desert island. tongue

Hehe...but "Lost" actors go to jail too, they are always caught driving under influence! I wonder what do the cops say to them when they relaize they´ve just caught a celebrity. Do they ask for answers of the show (I would do that)? tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Seriously, if I was the cop who pulled over Kiefer Sutherland, I think I'd have let him go and told him he owes me big time. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I wonder if I should pay my hard earned $10 just to see and listen to the End Credits of Cloverfield?

tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'll happily go on the buy one ticket get one free on Wednesdays. tongue

The monster stuff looks pretty cool (did anyone catch the oil rig getting eaten?), but it looks like one of the films where all the characters will get on peoples nerves and only end up getting killed.

Score! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I´m really lookong forward the movie (and, well, the End Credits cue), but I´ll have to make an effort, because in Spain the title of the movie will be "Monstruous". I hope the guy that entitled the movie is already waiting in prison to be executed.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Right, Cloverfield comes out in the US tomorrow, but I want to see NO REFERENCES to the "monster" without CLEAR SPOILER TAGS. I can't see the film over here until it comes out in February, so no ruining it for me or anyone else!
  4. SPOILER The monster's 'voice' is based on a twisting of Dame Edna's unmistakable tones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I wonder if I should pay my hard earned $10 just to see and listen to the End Credits of Cloverfield?

tongue

-Erik-

Wild horses couldn't drag me to see it. The trailer made me feel sick and when it announced who the producer was, that was pretty much the final straw.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    SPOILER The monster's 'voice' is based on a twisting of Dame Edna's unmistakable tones.

Ohhhh I do hope so possums?! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    SPOILER The monster's 'voice' is based on a twisting of Dame Edna's unmistakable tones.

It sounded more like Les Patterson to me.
  5. For a moment I thought you said 'Les Hiddins', the world-renowned Bush Tucker Man.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

It sounded more like Les Patterson to me.

Crikey!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Empire Online gave the movie 5 stars, I hope it lives up to that!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hmm...what would people say Giacchino's cleverest use of a theme was...??

I'm stuck. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008 edited
    About the Cloverfield overture:

It's aptly called Roar! and is said to be "even more than exquisite, it's Giacchino in his best shape" (a user over at the IMDb boards). "It's got a very 50's sci-fi, campy, Godzilla-esque sound, and it's a really fun track."

About the availability: "Giacchino has said that he is "hoping to get the tune available on iTunes or the like." Let's keep our fingers crossed!