• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I listened to a lot of his stuff in the last days and I still don´t get the excitement. I like some of it, but for now, I´ll wait for Star Trek to amaze me. The best thing he did - IMHO of course - is that piano track from the final episode of LOST - Season 1, where you can see how the cast enters the ill-fated flight. That one nearly got me welling up. Beyond that, I don´t get much emotion in either direction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007

Excuse me for being a slight ass here mate but that should answer your question. Give him time and space before you make up your mind.

As I said, I haven't made up my mind on anything. I'm just wondering what all the fuss is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods (quoting Demetris) wrote
    He is a man that doesn’t just underscore a scene; he’s a man that proceeds way beyond the surface, into the depth of the scene and its meaning, truly elevating it and really capturing the inner musical voice of each on-screen bit of visual he composes for.

This is interesting. I like his albums a lot but can't say I had noticed this about him - the only movies I've seen scored by him are the two Pixar ones and Mission Impossible, and that seemed like "standard" modern-day surface-level scoring to me. (I say "standard" not in a derogatory sense, since I think he's a fantastic composer.) I wonder if you could give some examples so I can investigate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007 edited
    Well, I'll place some vivid examples and i am hoping that Erik will complete with more too:

LOST - SEASON 1 : EPISODE 1 - the opening mayhem of the crash scene
    LOST - SEASON 1: EPISODE 23 "Exodus: Part 1"
    LOST - SEASON 1: EPISODE 24 "Exodus: Part 2"
    LOST - SEASON 2: "Man of Science, Man of Faith"
    LOST - SEASON 2: "Lockdown"
    LOST - SEASON 2: "Live Together, Die Alone"

And especially:

LOST - SEASON 3 : EPISODE 9 "Stranger in a Strange Land" , the gorgeous last 10 minutes and the final 2 episodes of SEASON 3

Also the episodes when "Hurley's Handouts" and "Rose and Bernard" from season 2 are being played. Anyone remembers which ones those were exactly?

Listen well!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Excuse me for being a slight ass here mate but that should answer your question. Give him time and space before you make up your mind.

As I said, I haven't made up my mind on anything. I'm just wondering what all the fuss is.

Well, you won't be finding out soon if you don't invest in his music first; and i don't mean financially.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

Well, you won't be finding out soon if you don't invest in his music first; and i don't mean financially.

Well, as I said, I've seen several of his films and TV series (and I'm an avid follower of LOST), so it's not like I'm asking the question out of the blue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't say that; but i generally believe that about scores; if you don't actually sit down with the score on the CD several times you will be mostly missing out essential stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True. And I'm not passing proper judgement untill I have done that. But having seen all those things and how his scores work in context - and since none of them (except maybe LOST) have really made an impact on me - it still puts me in a position to ask what it is that makes him such a "hot potatoe" and why his name always brings up lengthy and heated discussions. It's a META-question, really. Can this activity only be explained by his skills as composer or is there something else going on here? I mean, there are many skilled composers out there that don't even get one percent of the attention Giacchino gets among film score fans. So what is it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My answers are perfectly explained in the previous page, in what Erik quoted me at. Maybe you'd like to comment on the points made in that specifically? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    He's not that bad. Although I do see why you complain about the French horns being mixed too low in The Incredibles, but perhaps that was intentional?

There are a ton more Wallin' recordings other than Giacchino scores that I hate...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    He's not that bad?!? The man's a friggin' genius!

Dan Wallin is a friggin' genius?!?!?!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007 edited
    Oh sorry; i thought that was actually referred to Giacchino himself shame wink
  2. No, it wasn't biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    My answers are perfectly explained in the previous page, in what Erik quoted me at. Maybe you'd like to comment on the points made in that specifically? smile

No, that's fine. In that quote, you explained his popularity (as a topic ) because of his skills as a film composer. And that's certainly one possible explanation. But since I hadn't noticed anything particularly striking with him as a composer myself, I was wondering if that was it? If it ended there? Or if there was something else going on with him as a composer, personality, industry actant, choice of assignments, controversial techniques etc. that caused threads about him to run for multiple pages, no matter which forum you visit. Because the fact remains that there are many other just as skilled - or even MORE skilled or MORE idiosyncratic - composers out there that never gets this amount of attention from film score fans.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    His Medal of Honour scores are EPIC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Rumor is that Michael wrote a "Cloverfield Overture" for the end credits on the film. I'm trying to find out more info. Can't wait to hear it!

-Erik-
  3. Which film? You talk about the Abrams horror?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Rumor is that Michael wrote a "Cloverfield Overture" for the end credits on the film. I'm trying to find out more info. Can't wait to hear it!

-Erik-

I was about to ask for it.
    So there´s no original score?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cloverfield.

That Blair Witch meets Godzilla movie, with shaky cam. wink

Great viral campaign (though, they overdid themselves a bit in the end).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No original score in the movie... only a new overture for the end credits... that has just been confirmed!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No original score in the movie... only a new overture for the end credits... that has just been confirmed!!!

-Erik-

Good news then, I don´t think this kind of movie needs score (as has happened with the spanish hit "Rec"). But nice that he has written a cue for the end credits.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Now let's hope it'll be released on... a single, or something lick
  4. Or a certain composer's website! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008 edited
    I'm guessing it'll more likely be an iTunes exclusive rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Now let's hope it'll be released on... a single, or something lick

A CD single of the "complete score"....now wouldn't that be ==> cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Giacchino recorded a 12 minute piece for the end credits with an 87-piece orchestra and vocal soloists in Bratislava. No other score is used in the film.

mc
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    SWEET!

Do you know if it's going to be released?

biggrin

And where's Bratislava? confused
  5. Slovakia wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    No idea if there will be a release of it... would be cool! I'm sure it's a stunning piece. En "Entr'acte" rather than an overture. Bratislava is in Slovakia where a lot of Hollywood scores are being recorded these days.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Now if only Giacchino could develop it into a symphony for live performance and eventual release, this would be perfect cool