• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016
    A long time ago -when he was still doing game scores- I considered Giacchino Williams' heir apparent (just listen to the excellent Secret Weapons Over Normandy). Less so when he started doing TV, even less now that he'ds doing films.
    Not because I dislike his work, but because, like Southall says above, his own style is nothing like Williams'.

If this goes the way of Jurassic World, I'm not too optimistic about this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For me, this is like exchanging tomato sauce with mustard on your breakfast cereal -- I don't like it either way.

But it's surely some big news; I'll be writing a news article about it soon.

For those of us who BOTH like STAR WARS AND a more alternative/less safe approach to things, this is very sad news indeed. It seems like Edwards' original vision is being totally undermined, and taken over by Gilroy (who's an OK screenwriter, but a mediocre director).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Jurassic World was shockingly underwhelming. I have to think Giacchino was reigned in by Trevorrow or the studio and not allowed to stray too far from the original themes, because he's capable of far, far better than that. Hopefully Williams' own experiments with The Force Awakens will lead to Disney at least giving Giacchino a little bit freer hand than that, even if it won't be as unique as what Desplat probably would have done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    even if it won't be as unique as what Desplat probably would have done.

We'll never know of course, but based on Desplat's and Giacchino's output and their marked differences in stylistic approach, from a gut feeling I'm inclined to agree.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Well this is big news to wake up to. In my eyes it's neither good nor bad news (well...replacement scores are never a good thing, but looking purely at the composers in question I mean). I think a Desplat Star Wars score would have been more interesting and unpredictable...but I rather suspect I will enjoy the Giacchino score more. Plus, methinks with Giacchino there is a higher likelihood of Williams' themes (and not just the big ones) being utilized in smart and appropriate ways.

It sure feels inevitable that Giacchino get a Star Wars gig one day. I guess that day has come.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wrote
    It seems like Edwards' original vision is being totally undermined, and taken over by Gilroy (who's an OK screenwriter, but a mediocre director).

For all intents and purposes Edwards has nothing to do with this picture now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wrote
    It seems like Edwards' original vision is being totally undermined, and taken over by Gilroy (who's an OK screenwriter, but a mediocre director).

It's the "David" phenomenon all over again (Fincher on ALIEN 3, Lynch on DUNE, not to mention David Kubrick on SPARTACUS).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    not to mention David Kubrick on SPARTACUS).

Did they tell Kubrick "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid you can't do that"?

:coat: shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    wink
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wrote

Why is Disney trying to imitate WB? It's supposed to be the other way around...did this summer spook Hollywood that much?? Does the public really want to just keep watching the same movie over and over again? I sure don't, I barely have any desire to watch Force Awakens again, but I could always go for watching the prequels again, problematic as they are, at least they are unique and full of personality and creative desire. Same thing with the Hobbit trilogy, they might have serious pacing issues but at least they're confident in their own identity. Few directors who aren't Peter Jackson are willing to spend over an hour of their epic fantasy story on NOTHING but setup and character deveopment and worldbuilding before a single minute of any kind of action happens, and I love that. Even when I'm bored I loved it. Whereas The Force Awakens makes my eyes glaze over even as I'm supposed to be cheering on with the characters, because it's all so easy and obvious...

Maybe I'm just crazy.
  5. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    I barely have any desire to watch Force Awakens again, but I could always go for watching the prequels again, problematic as they are, at least they are unique and full of personality and creative desire.

love

Maybe I'm just crazy.

No. kiss
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    I barely have any desire to watch Force Awakens again, but I could always go for watching the prequels again, problematic as they are, at least they are unique and full of personality and creative desire.

shocked

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Yes. kill
  6. Well, these are certainly opinions.

*nods and sips tea*
  7. Morgan: Is Martijn stronger?

Volker: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016 edited
    Morgan: is it possible to learn this opinion?

Martijn: Not from a Captain...

wink
  8. biggrin
  9. Oh my, if this isn't the freshest thing to ever come out of Giacchino's head, I don't know what is. Finally an interesting Marvel score...

https://youtu.be/Q4uoNAFfvKg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016
    I like it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016
    I kinda like it too -- some rare contours of an actual theme (for Giacchino, anyway) halfway through, surrounded by Pink Floydish, psychedelic instrumentation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016
  10. Great review, James. I'm looking forward to hearing that one.
  11. My review of DOCTOR STRANGE, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/11/11/doct … giacchino/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016 edited
    Oh boy, I like the snippets I'm hearing....

ROGUE ONE

I hear big Empire Strikes Back sounds here.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Here's a direct youtube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlEVvakVhmA
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    This is Star Wars! Close enough in style to almost be Williams!
  13. As long as he channels his Williams-in-early-Star-Wars mode in the music and suppresses his own style then this could be very good.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    Sounds a lot like his Medal of Honor scores, which I think is a good thing, because the whole movie seems to have a WWII vibe going on. To be honest I don't think it's so important whether he nails Williams' sound or not... I think it's more important that he comes up with some good themes. Fingers crossed! smile
  14. Despite it being unrealistic, the sound of the Star Wars universe is vintage John Williams.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  15. Oh, boy, oh boy, oh boy ...
  16. FalkirkBairn wrote
    As long as he channels his Williams-in-early-Star-Wars mode in the music and suppresses his own style then this could be very good.

Yes.