• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    KING KONG contains some of the strongest, most emotional and absolutely beautiful material he's ever written, the beauty killed the beast variations.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I too am fond of this score. But not very fond of Alberto Iglesias's The Dancer Upstairs. Or goats.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not even a goat curry?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That goes without saying! Everybody likes a goat curry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FACT! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I hate goat curry.

I do love sate kambing, though! lick

(It's an Indonesian goat kebab. It's the best! )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    By the way, I find King Kong quite generic.
    Very functional, and impressive for the time frame Newton Howard had to work in, but I just can't find much emotion in it at all. (Maybe it's the lack of a clear theme that doesn't set it apart for me).
    There's WAY better JNH out there in my opinion (Snow Falling On Cedars, for example (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Ärvo Part), or Lady In The Water).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh there's definitely better JNH scores out there, sure. But I do have a soft spot for Kong. Generic JNH is absolutely fine by me! (Although I don't necessarily find it generic, but I can see where you're coming from.)
  1. Hehehe.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hehehe.

Wrong thread.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hehehe.

Wrong thread.

applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I hate goat curry.

I do love sate kambing, though! lick

(It's an Indonesian goat kebab. It's the best! )

That looks ( and I bet tastes ) exquisite! lick

But you don't like goat curry? You've obviously never tasted a properly cooked one! tongue

And to keep on topic : Yeah! JNH's King Kong is a generic score! I like it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    That looks ( and I bet tastes ) exquisite! lick

It's bloody excellent, mate.
    Should you ever be in The Netherlands (or Indonesia biggrin ), you must try it!
    (It's an absolute bitch to make yourself, so I've given that up. slant )

But you don't like goat curry? You've obviously never tasted a properly cooked one! tongue

Quite so.
    We're not very big on curries in The Netherlands, so I'd doubt seriously if I ever had a proper curry here.
    (Though I had one corker in an Amsterdam Indian restaurant...still not entirely gotten over that one :godzilla: )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Quite generic?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited
    Rather.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Quite generic?!

You've made me laugh many times over the years, but that's a sharp bit of wit even by your standards.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Quite generic?!

You've made me laugh many times over the years, but that's a sharp bit of wit even by your standards.

Yes, his dry acerbic wit has created a sticky film of spilt coffee to accumulate on my keyboard but thankfully I see there is now a place I can make complaints against Mr Southall to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Bloody British humor... I don't get it slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes you do! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's actually a sarcastic slant on a mocking comment that would suggest that he disagrees with my first statement, which -ironically- he doesn't and mocks the converse of the reverse inclination to doing just that.
    Which he doesn't.
    Which makes it funny.

Get it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    That's what I call a clear explanation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Feel free to start a "Love Martijn" thread to express your gratitude. smile
  2. Martijn wrote
    Very functional, and impressive for the time frame Newton Howard had to work in, but I just can't find much emotion in it at all. (Maybe it's the lack of a clear theme that doesn't set it apart for me).
    There's WAY better JNH out there in my opinion (Snow Falling On Cedars, for example (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Ärvo Part), or Lady In The Water).

Wow, how to answer to that one? I would assume (evil me) that it´s more or less your opinion about the movie itself that drives your connection to the score. There are so MANY beautiful and different themes in it that I can´t understand how anyone can call it lacking of a clear theme. There is the Kong theme itself, raw and wild, the Skull Island Theme, which perfectly sets the mood for the mysterious setting. There is "Beautiful", which alone has so much emotional heart and warmth. Then there is the strikingly beautiful theme where they are filming a scene on the deck of the ship against the sunset where Naomi Watts shows us within 30 seconds what acting is about (with Adrien Brody´s help, of course wink ). And then there is the Finale, full of themes and emotion, and action and tension and ... wowness. This is one of the greatest adventure scores of this decade.

2:0
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can see nor hear it, Ralph. It's an amusing and entertaing SFX-driven fantasy yarn, with a score that offers nothing out of the ordinary. I can't remember a note of it once it's switched off (the release might have benefitted from a FAR briefer presentation).

As it is, film nor score mean much to me. And I certainly can't hear any proper themes as *I* would define them (lingering, melodic and hummable. The James Bond theme. The Raiders March. Even Giacchino's Star Trek motif.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Not an emotional connection even in the beauty killed the beast variations? I played it last week to my college students montaged over scenes from the finale of the movie but without sound and they were ready to cry at the end!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    As it is, film nor score mean much to me. And I certainly can't hear any proper themes as *I* would define them (lingering, melodic and hummable. The James Bond theme. The Raiders March. Even Giacchino's Star Trek motif.)

If you find the time and will to re-listen to the beauty killed the beast variations, maybe you'll hear that beautiful theme? Don't know, just suggesting wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You better listen to him Martijn, I think he has a gun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I suspected this too, from time to time. :mega-shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I can see nor hear it, Ralph. It's an amusing and entertaing SFX-driven fantasy yarn, with a score that offers nothing out of the ordinary.

In times where a lot of people complain about certain missing qualities in scores I find it hard to believe that a score like King Kong, which features all of the components of a classic adventure score, can even be considered to be ordinary. Maybe it would have been, in the Eighties, but in these times, I can only wonder WHAT an adventure score must do to satisfy? Giacchino´s Trek Theme is a perfect example for a theme that I can hum after one or two listenings and want to forget after the twentieth time, because its charme is long gone then. "Beautiful" is the exact opposite. You have to give it some time to get to you, and then it will stay with you through light and dark, like a true friend.

(Edit: I find it very interesting that you mention Giacchino´s Trek, since this score definitely ruined the movie for me. Like your experience with Kong, I felt seriously shocked how it missed EVERY opportunity to make me feel something. Everything was either too much or too fast or too loud. No subleties whatsoever. Kong ist exactly the opposite.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I sense you have a far stronger emotional connection to the film and score than most people, Ralph.

For me, there's far more interesting listens to be (re)discovered out there than to have to sit through 80 minutes of this particular beast again. smile