• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015
    I remember Il Postino... and I actually like it but Bravheart should have won that year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

Superb. Beautiful and thrilling. I think it was only a couple of days before his death that I was commenting here on how I miss action music like this; action music that is actually emotional and melodic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015 edited
    LSH wrote

Superb. Beautiful and thrilling. I think it was only a couple of days before his death that I was commenting here on how I miss action music like this; action music that is actually emotional and melodic.

At the risk of repeating myself each time someone mentions this score, it's one of my favourites. By that, I mean no other score exists that I love more, only a few that equal it. The original album is great, but the complete version has some great cues that were missing from it. It is, as the title would suggest, perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I "favourite" this post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Forgive the self-indulgence and the pretentious title (I couldn't think of anything better)... but anyway... announcing Movie Wave's James Horner Review Odyssey:

http://www.movie-wave.net/james-horner-review-odyssey/
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Erik Woods wrote
    I remember Il Postino... and I actually like it but Bravheart should have won that year!

-Erik-

I have to ask: Do you (or anyone else reading this) know if it is true that Horner didn't write the Braveheart theme? I have been trying to find discussions on this because I am curious, but I just couldn't find anything, which obviously makes me think it is just bs because it just seems unlikely that it hasn't been discussed before. Surely someone here must know so I can stop thinking about it/fill that knowledge gap of mine. Maybe I am just easily fooled or are just hearing things - regardless of the situation, it would be nice to have some confirmation on it. I am not experienced or knowledgeable enough to judge it myself.

It is not like it matters a lot, but it would be nice to put my thoughts into rest regardless if he wrote the theme all by himself or not. His borrowings/inspirations/thefts or whatever you want to call them do not often bother me at all usually (I admit that they sometimes do), but as a big fan of his it is always nice to know the sources when he does it. I would like to know if the Braveheart theme is another case of Horner taking something from the past by someone else and making it better, or if it is his own theme completely. No disrespect meant at all (even if it kinda sucks having to ask this question this week), I am just genuinely curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't know which theme you mean, but the "For the Love of a Princess" theme is very obviously inspired by Jupiter from Holst's The Planets
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    I mean this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AN04imFDK8

Is that one lifted/borrowed/inspired (you name it) from/by this piece? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KDZbkU3nRU

That piece was released in 1988 on the following album by the Japanese new-age group named S.E.N.S. (it is the last track on the album) - http://www.discogs.com/SENS-Kaishin-The … se/4495872

Horner has also said that he listens to world music and I think this album/piece ticks that box too?

It sounds like the theme to me if it is just not me hearing things again (it has happened before, so I wouldn't be surprised if i'm completely wrong again).

I would like to know other people's thoughts about it. I find it really weird that I couldn't find any discussion about it (I searched pretty much all film music forums, but I might just have missed it). I am probably late, but it would be good to know and fill that knowledge gap if so. Please don't laugh if i'm completely wrong shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They're strikingly similar for sure, and I can empathise with the suspicion, but I would wager he didn't consciously steal it (I doubt he'd even heard of the group). That particular chord structure is very common, and I'd even go as far to say that sort of melody almost writes itself given the chords. That's not to diminish Horner's achievement, there's far more to the score than a few simple ascending chords and a pretty melody, but at its most basic the theme can be distilled to quite a simple set of notes that even a monkey like me could play (like many a great melody can). That score is a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Forgive the self-indulgence and the pretentious title (I couldn't think of anything better)... but anyway... announcing Movie Wave's James Horner Review Odyssey:

Crikey. That's some target you've set yourself there. Surely deserves to be advertised on just about any (decent) film music forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well... I did here, Filmtracks and FSM, which are the only ones I frequent. I don't predict much interest (there rarely is) but I'm not under any illusion that I don't do these things primarily for myself.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015
    Southall wrote
    Well... I did here, Filmtracks and FSM, which are the only ones I frequent. I don't predict much interest (there rarely is) but I'm not under any illusion that I don't do these things primarily for myself.

I think there's a lot of people who are interested and enjoy reading your reviews but just don't comment all that often. I know I was one of them for a time.
  1. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That or Apollo 13.
  2. Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

At the risk of repeating myself each time someone mentions this score, it's one of my favourites. By that, I mean no other score exists that I love more, only a few that equal it. The original album is great, but the complete version has some great cues that were missing from it. It is, as the title would suggest, perfect.

Complete version? Where?
  3. Thor wrote
    Speaking of which -- how many Horners do you have in your collection (no need to list them; a number would suffice)?

I have 30 CDs, 4 digital albums, and another 4 CDs en route.

Southall wrote

I think this is a fantastic idea. I'll read every one of them. I just read three of your Horner reviews today: PROJECT X, ONCE UPON A FOREST, and THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES, since those were the albums in Erik's show that I wasn't familiar with. The first two are hard to come by, sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

Complete version? Where?

[spoiler]The Internet[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A MUST LISTEN!

A Composer Tribute to James Horner

Twenty-one film, television, video game composers deliver their heart-felt thoughts and reflections about the man, James Horner, and his music. Listen to their thoughts set to many of James Horner's most memorable scores.

http://blog.tracksounds.com/2015/06/a-c … orner.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Man, you are determined to make me bawl, aren't you? Listen to it!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That or Apollo 13.

Yeah, Horner probabaly lost that Oscar because he split the votes between his two nominated scores. And I don't mean any disrespect towards Il Postino and Luis Bacalov. What I've heard of it sounds beautiful, but just not as memorable as Braveheart, which I regard a modern classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    A MUST LISTEN!

Twenty-one film, television, video game composers deliver their heart-felt thoughts and reflections about the man, James Horner, and his music. Listen to their thoughts set to many of James Horner's most memorable scores.

-Erik-

You are right... a definite must listen, if only to hear that all these composers have lost one of their own heroes.

Great share. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Listened to half of it, before my browser crashed smile Very nice to hear other composers pay their respects and hear what an inspiration Horner has been to them.
  6. Tried to listen using the "SoundCast in Stitcher" option on the left-hand side of the page. It said that it was the tribute show but what played was the interview with Brian Tyler. I've seen mention in social media that this can happen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2015
    Yeah... something happened when Christopher uploaded the show. He fixed it but it might take a while for some streaming services to get that update. I listened to the show through iTunes just fine. The show is also available on Tracksounds directly.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    A MUST LISTEN!

-Erik-

Just finishing this up now. Thanks for your hard work, Erik.
  7. Thank Christopher Coleman! Erik's just spreading the good word. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I had no idea he did a TED talk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIcwsQgQrEg
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    A MUST LISTEN!

-Erik-

Just finishing this up now. Thanks for your hard work, Erik.

Thank Christopher Coleman!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015
  8. Great review as always, James, and I can very much relate to what you say. Curious that I would also think of Vaughan Williams. The pastoral "English" style is definitely there, especially in the second movement.
    In that regard the piece by Ludovico Einaudi is a real good companion piece as -IMO- it features the same pastoral style. I am curious what Timmer will have to say abut the album, once he returns from Glastonbury and as a chance to listen to it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.