• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Nah, I'll wait for samples that are longer than the album itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015 edited
    Wow, James Horner's Wolf Totem clocks in at under an hour runtime. James Horner actually constrained himself!

And wow, the wailing woman arrives in literally the opening second of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ All of that is good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    James mother fuckin' Horner. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I just watched the trailer for Horner's concert work Pas de Deux and I'm super excited now. The writing for soloists is incredible and the performances passionate. Not sure if this has been posted before but I'll add it just in case...

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/pas-de-deux-trailer/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Review of Wolf Totem:

http://www.movie-wave.net/wolf-totem/

Aww, you mentioned me shame

also...
    if you can’t get enthusiastic about Wolf Totem then you may as well give up ever getting enthusiastic about anything ever again

Brilliant biggrin
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Southall wrote
    Review of Wolf Totem:

http://www.movie-wave.net/wolf-totem/

Great review! I love "Wolf Totem"!!
  2. Budging in with a few words on Wolf Totem. smile
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015 edited
    Hmm, I'm not sure I'd describe The Perfect Storm as 'harsh' (epic and incredible are the words that come to mind), even though it does have some harsh, dissonant moments...if that's what you meant?

Also...

The only reason this score doesn’t and cannot top the likes of “Legends of the Fall” or “Braveheart” is purely for sentimental reasons.

The other reason is it's not as good as those scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    I'd certainly put it above Braveheart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Though I'd certainly put it below Legends of the Fall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

dizzy

Mental.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Is it me or is the album mixed extremely low?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Southall wrote

shocked

I liked my first and so far only listen to WOLF TOTEM, but I don't like it anywhere near as much a BRAVEHEART. Nor can I imagine I ever will even after many listens. WT is monothematic, isn't it? It's a great theme, but how can one great theme repeated a bunch of times beat half a dozen great themes, several of which are used as counterpoint against others during the course of the album. I'm a little biased, though, as I think BRAVEHEART is pretty much the great score ever composed. . .

Thor wrote
    Is it me or is the album mixed extremely low?

I get that with a lot of his albums. Is it the guy who mixes the albums? It seems like I always have to turn the volume up to nearly double my normal listening volume to hear Horner's scores properly. His Spider-Man score was that way, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with you -- while this is a fine score indeed, it isn't even CLOSE to breaking into my Top 10 Horner list. I'm not quite sure how people get all euphoric about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    It's a great theme, but how can one great theme repeated a bunch of times beat half a dozen great themes, several of which are used as counterpoint against others during the course of the album.

Indeed. Yes, Wolf Totem is very nice, very pretty and quite exciting - it's growing on me with each listen. But the emotional content just can't compete with Braveheart. That's a score Horner will never be able to top. Equal, perhaps, but never top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    I agree with you -- while this is a fine score indeed, it isn't even CLOSE to breaking into my Top 10 Horner list. I'm not quite sure how people get all euphoric about it.

I agree with it not being near the top 10 but it's so much better and more pleasantly traditional than most of the stuff that's been released this decade that I feel it's still worthy of euphoria.
  4. It's below Natty Gann to me. It wouldn't make my Top 10 horner, probably not even Top 20.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Steven wrote
    christopher wrote
    It's a great theme, but how can one great theme repeated a bunch of times beat half a dozen great themes, several of which are used as counterpoint against others during the course of the album.

Indeed. Yes, Wolf Totem is very nice, very pretty and quite exciting - it's growing on me with each listen. But the emotional content just can't compete with Braveheart. That's a score Horner will never be able to top. Equal, perhaps, but never top.

I think it's Horner's best since Amazing Spider-Man 2. I liked Black Gold, but I loathe Cristiada with a passion.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Cristiada is the first Horner score where I've genuinely been annoyed by his 'recycling'. Most other times I haven't minded, I've even enjoyed it - but that score took the piss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    PawelStroinski wrote
    but I loathe Cristiada with a passion.

I believe we are all of us here aware of that wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Cristiada is the first Horner score where I've genuinely been annoyed by his 'recycling'. Most other times I haven't minded, I've even enjoyed it - but that score took the piss.

Didn't give a toss about it to be honest. Didn't see the point of doing so. Wasn't in love with it at first, certainly, but it's grown on me a lot.

Braveheart I do like a hell of a lot but ironically THAT one is the one where the classical borrowing bothers me the most. (Self-borrowing by any composer has never bothered me.) The Holst is such a famous piece I think it's vaguely comical hearing it vaguely altered a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote

Apparently I'm not familiar enough with the ones he ripped because I considered it a fairly fresh and interesting work.
  6. The Missing (Bullet on a Train)? The Four Feathers (the love theme becomes the main theme)? The Mask of Zorro? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Never heard the first two and the last one its just they happen to be the same style due to similar settings of the films. Dang it, now I want to listen to them both but I don't have time crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You see, I'm (fairly obviously) a big Horner nutcase and I've never noticed any similarity with Zorro. Is there a chance that if you're not looking, you don't find? And you can enjoy more as a result?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

Apparently I'm not familiar enough with the ones he ripped because I considered it a fairly fresh and interesting work.

Interesting maybe, fresh definitely not. This is what a score would sound like if you designed a piece of software to compose a Horner score.