• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Orvarsson's score was written, though not sure if it was recorded. I was actually sent a couple of cues by someone and while I like Orvarsson (I think he's one of the best in the group and you could consider listening to some of his stuff, especially choral, due to your interest in Mike Post, for whom Orvarsson was initially an assistant), it wasn't really that great.

That's intriguing. I didn't know Orvarsson even wrote any material. Can you tell us a bit more about it? What was it like stylistically?

I agree with you that he's one of the more interesting RC composers. I wish he got more assignments (although last year he did pretty well).
  2. I checked out cues on his site about a year ago before the re-design, which saw some cues removed. I only liked one cue, and found two or thrre others okay. I don't recall the one cue or the project name.

I remarked here once around the time of the "Karate Kid" fiasco, that he was fine under Post, but as soon as he cut loose after being under Zimmer's wing, BAM -- rejected score.

I'm familiar with probably two dozen composers who proteged under Post, and Atli certainly hasn't impressed me like others. It also seems, in my estimation, that has time passed by, newer proteges declined in quality.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Orvarsson's score was written, though not sure if it was recorded. I was actually sent a couple of cues by someone and while I like Orvarsson (I think he's one of the best in the group and you could consider listening to some of his stuff, especially choral, due to your interest in Mike Post, for whom Orvarsson was initially an assistant), it wasn't really that great.

That's intriguing. I didn't know Orvarsson even wrote any material. Can you tell us a bit more about it? What was it like stylistically?

I agree with you that he's one of the more interesting RC composers. I wish he got more assignments (although last year he did pretty well).

I don't remember exactly, but I guess you could ask Hybrid about it, he's got the cues.

justin boggan wrote
    I checked out cues on his site about a year ago before the re-design, which saw some cues removed. I only liked one cue, and found two or thrre others okay. I don't recall the one cue or the project name.

I remarked here once around the time of the "Karate Kid" fiasco, that he was fine under Post, but as soon as he cut loose after being under Zimmer's wing, BAM -- rejected score.

I'm familiar with probably two dozen composers who proteged under Post, and Atli certainly hasn't impressed me like others. It also seems, in my estimation, that has time passed by, newer proteges declined in quality.

Except Vantage Point ("scoring consultant") I don't think he got any projects through Hans. The Eagle was a fairly low-budget effort with some great Celtic material and a fantastic cue. Maybe Babylon (some great choral writing) was through Zimmer? (though would Kassovitz actually go there?)

Last year two decent epic score, branching out of the typical RCP style came out. One was Balfe's Ironclad and the other was The Eagle. Much better than Djawadi's replacement on Clash of the Titans (to put it delicately, that's about the worst epic score I've heard in my life).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Last year? Those are both at least 3 years old by now Pawel. tongue

I don't think Djawadi's Clash of the Titans qualifies as an "epic" score necessarily, but I'd listen to it over Balfe's Ironcladception any day of the week. Orvarsson's The Eagle tops them both though (assuming that one fantastic cue you're referring to is the Celtic fiddle one, which is amazingly addicting).
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014
    NEW release from Intrada Records: "A Far Off Place" (1993)

newly mastered and with over 75 minutes of music. :-) AWESOME!! :-)

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9 … egory=-113
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm? This is a score I like A LOT! But I've always enjoyed the original release exactly as it is. My initial instinct, the old "fan boy" kicking in, was to order this immediately but I think I'll wait to read a review or two before taking the plunge or not.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014 edited
    Hmmm, I already though the original release was too long! sad

EDIT: Just checked: it's only a 40 minute score!
    Felt like hours, as I seem to remember.
    But then it's been AGES since I listened to this. I purchased it from IceMac (if anyone remembers him from the old ScoreReviews forum). I should try it again I guess...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    This is a "holy grail" to me! :-)
    I love the original album but can't wait to hear this score in expanded form.
    Immediately ordered (together with five more new and recent Intrada releases;-)). Life is good!! :-)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BasilB wrote
    Immediately ordered (together with five more new and recent Intrada releases;-)). Life is good!! :-)

Are you familiar with any of the unreleased music for A Far Off Place, Basil? There's been a boot doing the rounds for years, though I've never personally heard it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I'm completely unfamiliar with this score. But it's Horner. And it's a Disney film featuring expansive shots of Africa? From 1993? How could this not be amazing? James, you said in your review that it was his best score of the ten (!!) he wrote that year. That's pretty high praise. Do you still feel that way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interesting question! I've just looked and the ten were:

The Pelican Brief (1993)
    We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993)
    Bopha! (1993)
    The Man Without a Face (1993)
    Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
    House of Cards (1993)
    Once Upon a Forest (1993)
    Jack the Bear (1993)
    A Far Off Place (1993)
    Swing Kids (1993)

So I would have to say no, I don't, Searching for Bobby Fischer is clearly the best. But I'd certainly put it second. (Having never heard Bopha, but nobody seems to like it.)
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Timmer wrote
    BasilB wrote

Are you familiar with any of the unreleased music for A Far Off Place, Basil? There's been a boot doing the rounds for years, though I've never personally heard it.

No, I'm not familiar with the bootledge. I just own the earlier Intrada release with about 45 minutes of score on it and I really like that album. A remasterd version with 30 minutes of additional music (and even without "alternates") intrigues me very much. But, sure, I wouldn't rank this within the best of Horners work. Just a nice score with great melodie, heart and action in it to keep me well entertaind. Bring it on! :-)
  6. Southall wrote
    Interesting question! I've just looked and the ten were:

The Pelican Brief (1993)
    We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993)
    Bopha! (1993)
    House of Cards (1993)
    Jack the Bear (1993)
    A Far Off Place (1993)
    Swing Kids (1993)

So I would have to say no, I don't, Searching for Bobby Fischer is clearly the best. But I'd certainly put it second. (Having never heard Bopha, but nobody seems to like it.)

Second to Bobby Fischer is still pretty good smile. I think I'd better get this one. I'm a huge fan of Horner's music from the 90's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Far be it from me to cast aspersions, especially since I have no idea what the truth is, but it has been suggested elsewhere that Horner may have received a little uncredited help on A Far Off Place.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Far be it from me to cast aspersions, especially since I have no idea what the truth is, but it has been suggested elsewhere that Horner may have received a little uncredited help on A Far Off Place.

I remember a big debate about this on the old* FSM board ( *pre-2000, hence I don't think it's findable now ) and talk of this still pops up occasionally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I remember a big debate about this on the old* FSM board ( *pre-2000, hence I don't think it's findable now ) and talk of this still pops up occasionally.

Your memory is good!

You're right that threads prior to October-2000 are not searchable anymore. Archive.org has a few 'snapshots' of the board from early to mid 1998, when it still had a tree format, but between that and the reboot in 2001, it's all lost to the annals of cyberspace.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Southall wrote

Don Davis
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014
    Hi,

For me, the best scores of Mr. Horner in 1993 are:

8. The Pelican Brief and The Man Without a Face are excellent. The former has some great suspense music and the latter some good music for strings.
  9. Wish I'd gone to the concert of 'Pas de Deux' in Liverpool but after watching this trailer for the CD release next May I can't wait to hear it, sounds fantastic!

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/pas-de-deux-trailer/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014
    John Chambers wrote
    Wish I'd gone to the concert of 'Pas de Deux' in Liverpool but after watching this trailer for the CD release next May I can't wait to hear it, sounds fantastic!

It sounds gorgeous and very accessable unlike the "serious" works of some film composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well chuffing hell that sounds rather spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Leave it to James bloody Horner to write what is probably the best thing this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (And John Williams to write the best trailer music.)
  10. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Concert Music.

Can't even write a non film score withut referencing his film scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good.
  11. Horner plagiarism complaints are so early 2000s, Justin.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    John Chambers wrote
    Wish I'd gone to the concert of 'Pas de Deux' in Liverpool but after watching this trailer for the CD release next May I can't wait to hear it, sounds fantastic!

Terrific news!! Bring it on!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds brilliant. Traditional and straightforward, but wonderful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014
    *and