• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. You're right, 'Humanoids from the Deep' is a review nobody is interested in. tongue

Great review man, although I don't agree with you (yet).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    James Horner didn't create the Na'vi langauge, Thomas.
  2. Steven wrote
    James Horner didn't create the Na'vi langauge, Thomas.

James Cameron was the one who created the na'vi language, but wasn't he the one who had to work that into the vocal singing?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    According to a quick google search, Paul Frommer created the language with (presumably) instructions from Cameron.
  3. Steven wrote
    According to a quick google search, Paul Frommer created the language with (presumably) instructions from Cameron.

and yet, I've read somewhere he was on board to create the language as well, Broxton mentions it as well in his review

anyway dizzy
  4. So you ripped off that piece of info???

Oh the irony !!!! shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    So you ripped off that piece of info???

smile
  6. Frommer created the language as spoken in the movie, with direction from Cameron; Horner and sound designer Christopher Boyes took that language and adapted parts of it for the choir to sing in the score. So Horner didn't create the *spoken* language, but wrote the lyrics for the choir in that language, and subsequently worked it into his music.
  7. Jon Broxton wrote
    Frommer created the language as spoken in the movie, with direction from Cameron; Horner and sound designer Christopher Boyes took that language and adapted parts of it for the choir to sing in the score. So Horner didn't create the *spoken* language, but wrote the lyrics for the choir in that language, and subsequently worked it into his music.

thanks for explaining it Jon, I'll change it immediately smile
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    So you ripped off that piece of info???

...Danger motif...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New Horner audio interview:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/ep … nts/148277

It used to be that Horner would hardly give any interviews at all. Now he seems to be talking to people all over the place.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    It used to be that Horner would hardly give any interviews at all. Now he seems to be talking to people all over the place.

Has he got a big budget movie out at the moment?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Has he got a big budget movie out at the moment?

Yeah, but I can't remember him being that ubiquitous during the TITANIC days either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New Horner audio interview:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/ep … nts/148277

Someone wants to win an OSCAR!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So.Right!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Well he earned it for Titanic. Not sure for Avatar though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well he earned it for Titanic. Not sure for Avatar though.

I expect it to get nominated but it won't win.

p.s. my Oscar predictions have been rubbish for years and years and should never be taken seriously
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Now if only Vangelis would follow suit on the interview front.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    I found Iris and Field Of Dreams at an online used CD store.
    Both at same price but I have a limited budget, and I haven't seen either of these films.

Which do you recommend? smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    Field of Dreams, definitely. It is much more melodic and emotional. Iris is not bad either, but it lacks memorable melodies.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Miya wrote
    I found Iris and Field Of Dreams at an online used CD store.
    Both at same price but I have a limited budget, and I haven't seen either of these films.

Which do you recommend? smile

Field of Dreams Is a Classic for Me It's a Score Horner really had an Idea for ... Iris isn't bad at all It's really mature work and has some Ralph Vaughn Williams feel to it... both are very relaxing calm listining smile But Suggest Field of dreams more I think:)
    Here Is some nice movie where Horner Talk about how he approach the score. I really recommend it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Curiously, I owned FIELD OF DREAMS once and couldn't stand it. Like THUNDERHEART, it seemed like meandering, directionless droning. But that was then (as a teen). I wonder how I would have felt about it today, when I lean more towards calmer material.

IRIS I've not heard.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Iris is in my relaxing playlist, and it never fails to do exactly that. Definitely not one to play loud, but one to have on in the background. It's a really pleasant score/album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I prefer Iris too, actually. Very pleasant score. Field of Dreams seems more tied to the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Thanks everyone! It's still under consideration cheesy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  12. I think Iris is the more consistently pleasant listen, though none of it is really "standout." Field of Dreams, on the other hand has one of Horner's best pieces in it: "The Place Where Dreams Come True." Holy moly, that's one beautiful track. Most of the rest of FoD is just okay, and a little dated in parts. That finale track, though, is good enough and long enough that I say if you want a highlight, go for FoD. If you're feeling like you want an album that is consistently beautiful, though unmemorable and pretty much the same throughout, go for Iris.
  13. Definitely Field of Dreams, it's classic emotional Horner from his glory years; while Iris isn't bad, there's nothing exactly on the album that touches me in a way that Field of Dreams does.

And Thor, only you cannot stand a gorgeous album like FoD. rolleyes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, I've never been than fond of Field of Dreams as an album. Never seen the film though.
  14. But the film is really un understated and underrated gem. See it, you might appreciate the score more.