• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017
    I'm more concerned that we have a Han Solo prequel film in the first place...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Guys:

Probably there might be a call to Hans and both will think how to courteously say no about this idea (they are great friends right now and Hans just doesn't want to lose that particular connection; on the other hand who knows, reportedly the process on Inferno was very difficult. They still share each other's posts, Howard took and posted a picture from Hans' concert in London).

But I find a lack of one name disturbing. He has worked with Ron Howard before and has a now rather well-publicized Star Wars connection:

Thomas Newman.

That would be interesting indeed. But there is of course another composer who has worked with Ron Howard before and has a well-publicised Star Wars connection:

John T. Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2017
    Steven wrote

This.

I liked the concept of Rogue One in the way I liked Shadows Of The Empire twenty years before, exploring a bit of a bridging time between the main story arcs. I am of course ecstatic that the main story is continuing with The Force Awakens and beyond.

But what -other than a quick name recognition cash-in- would a 'Young Han Solo Adventures" have to offer that actually adds anything? I dunno. Maybe they'll make it work somehow, but I can't see the attraction myself, and honestly couldn't care less who directs or scores it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2017
    Steven wrote

Really? I'm excited. Both FORCE AWAKENS and ROGUE ONE were fantastic theatre experiences (even if they didn't hold up quite as well on further viewings). So far, Disney has a great STAR WARS track record, I'm excited for ANYTHING they're putting out smile
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. I feel a bit overfed with Star Wars, something I wouldn't have thought possible until recently. The omnipresence of the logo everywhere you go alone is starting to walk my nerves.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    But I find a lack of one name disturbing. He has worked with Ron Howard before and has a now rather well-publicized Star Wars connection:

Thomas Newman.

freezing freezing freezing
  3. I like Thomas Newman but I don't see him as a composer for Star Wars. Star Trek maybe but not Star Wars. If the example set by Rogue One prevails, Disney wants the Anthology films to exist within the general formula of the franchise. So we will have a classical trained composer with a stock record of such scores. If they want to give those films a coherent musical voice, Giacchino is the official Anthology Star Wars composer. If they choose the Marvel way, all bets are off.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017
    Can I vote in Joel McNeely? sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Can I vote in Joel McNeely? sad

Don't toy with me like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm really looking forwards to War for the Planet of the Apes after so enjoying the last installment, a beautiful slow paced film that felt like it was from a different era of movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If looks set to be the best film he's scored.
  4. Aidabaida wrote
    I'm really looking forwards to War for the Planet of the Apes after so enjoying the last installment, a beautiful slow paced film that felt like it was from a different era of movies.

Yes and yes. I enjoyed the last film immensely!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The last two Apes films were improbably good. This one looks great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Despite the composer, I'm also looking forward to the new APES film. Loved the previous two.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017
    The first one was okay, but suffered from cliché characters and poor casting... except, of course, Andy Serkis. The second one is in a completely different league to the first -- and by the sounds of it, War is even better. I'm enjoying the resurgence of this franchise more than any other, including Star Wars. (But then I'm sick of Star Wars at this point. Thanks Disney.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    The first one was really small scale. The second one was a bit bigger, but still confined to one location. This last one looks huge.

So... a franchise that knows how to slowly build up to a big finale?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017 edited
    I thought the first was superior to the second (the small scale, as you say, helped it a lot), but both are recommendable. Here's my Norwegian review of the first:

http://montages.no/2011/08/rise-of-the- … ytolkning/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    The first one had a highly unique tone and incredible pacing, as you said in your review, the, "sober balance of the action sequences and intense drama".

But the second one had great character development, and a slow burn. I felt the characters in the first film were relatively incidental, whereas all four major characters in "Dawn" were well developed. It was just a well balanced, well thought out movie.

I don't mean to get all analytical, but on the human side, there was someone willing with the apes (Malcom), and someone not (Dreyfus). On the ape side, there was someone willing to work with humans (Caesar), and someone not (Koba). The first and last shots are identical except far different emotional settings. The way they developed these mirror images was really interesting, and allowed for an interesting play of ideas, suggesting that the apes and the humans are really no different from one another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True, the 'mirror' aspect -- so prevalent in many A.I.-themed movies and TV shows these days -- is very much at the core of this series too, both in the mise-en-scene and in the actual plot.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited
    Currently, SPIDER MAN HOMECOMING has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's certain to change as new review come in, but so far, 2017's Superhero Movies have received unanimous critical acclaim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017
    Yeah, it really seems to be the Spider-Man everyone has been waiting for.
    Kudos to Sony who let the property finally be treated the right way.
    Now if only they could do that with the Fantastic Four as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

I want a proper Doctor Doom. I want to see the Torch get the Ultimate Nulifier for Reed so they can stop Galactus. I finally want to see blue eyed Benjamin Grimm go toe to toe with ol' green skin on the big screen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    The first 30 minutes of the 2015 Fantastic Four was my favorite Superhero Movie material for a long time. I loved the slow pace, the small scale, the positive characters, the gorgeous score. Sure there were logical holes (Why did Reed take his transported machine to a STATE FAIR?!), but it started SO WELL. Then it just...stopped. There's hardly anything to it. It just stopped, and ground to a painful halt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    yeah

I want a proper Doctor Doom. I want to see the Torch get the Ultimate Nulifier for Reed so they can stop Galactus. I finally want to see blue eyed Benjamin Grimm go toe to toe with ol' green skin on the big screen.

Hold your horses there Denis Leary. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    yeah

Hold your horses there Denis Leary. tongue

I want Bill Hicks back. tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt