• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011
    Today, five years ago, we lost this most wonderful of composers.
    As much as it saddens me to realise we won't hear from him again, today it is my joy to celebrate his life by playing his compositions only. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Will you commence or end with the almighty power of Conan?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    smile
    Good question, that!
    As I have already started though, I pretty much have no choice but to end it with his Magnum Opus, do I?
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Sure, it's is the only way to pay homage to Basil.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've never been one to mark a composer's DEATH day with tributes. Birthdays, especially round numbers, is another thing. I'm continually surprised by how certain members -- especially at FSM -- create a Goldsmith thread or five on his death day every year since it happened.

I do play my Poledouris with regular intervals, though, regardless of context. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Today, five years ago, we lost this most wonderful of composers.
    As much as it saddens me to realise we won't hear from him again, today it is my joy to celebrate his life by playing his compositions only. smile

I prefer to think that we hear from him every time we play his music. He's still alive every time we play one of his albums.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    I've never been one to mark a composer's DEATH day with tributes. Birthdays, especially round numbers, is another thing. I'm continually surprised by how certain members -- especially at FSM -- create a Goldsmith thread or five on his death day every year since it happened.

Every year? uhm

Anyway, I kinda see your point. But, in this case at least, it's not like I thought about commemorating his death per se, but rather more that I was reminded by an outside source that his death was today, AND five years ago. And it made me want to play some of his tracks again.
    Not because I feel I have to.
    But because I like to.

That's why I made a big point about celebrating hislife.
    (aside from from the fact that he's unlikely to have any more birthday celebrations dizzy wink )

I do play my Poledouris with regular intervals, though, regardless of context. smile

Well, of course!
    It's Poledouris!
    Who could stand having to wait?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    I prefer to think that we hear from him every time we play his music.

Well yeah, of course.
    I meant something new.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It still saddens me that Basil was taken away so prematurely.

I'll play some of his music today, it nary takes more than the mention of his name to give me a nudge into playing him smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    CONAN THE DESTROYER

Markedly different from the one we're used to on the original soundtrack. I can't wait! chicken
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    CONAN THE DESTROYER

Markedly different from the one we're used to on the original soundtrack. I can't wait! chicken

Is sounds awesome doesn't it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    Ho - ly - frak!
    Sounds as if we´re getting a great Conan score this year after all!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Ho - ly - frak!
    Sounds as if we´re getting a great Conan score this year after all!

biggrin beer
  4. Timmer wrote
    CONAN THE DESTROYER

nice nice nice smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    CONAN THE DESTROYER

CONAN THE DESTROYER Oh man YEAH!!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    CONAN THE DESTROYER

CONAN THE DESTROYER Oh man YEAH!!!! punk

Holy crap! They also rerecorded Sword and sorcery: The adventures of Conan! shocked

As soon as I heard about Conan the destroyer being rerecorded about a half year ago I posted that it would be amazing if they also included Sword and sorcery: The adventures of Conan. Seems my wishes were heard.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    17.Pit Band (0:18) uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011 edited
    When is it gonna be available?! punk

Me wants!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Marselus wrote

Me wants!

I am hoping that it's going to be available before Christmas. This time of year is quite frustrating because the US-based labels release near the holiday season at a time that means that the titles will usually arrive at US addresses in time for the holidays. But for people outside the US we have to worry that packages don't get lost in the Christmas post - they don't usually come for weeks into the new year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. That new recording sounds absolutely delicious but I remember 'Destroyer' not as completely fantastic as 'Barbarian'. Or am I wrong? Anyway, I'm going to check this out on release. Keep those bombastic scores coming. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011
    It get's shipped from London, I'll hope I get mines before that egit santa knows whatsup.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote

Me wants!

I am hoping that it's going to be available before Christmas. This time of year is quite frustrating because the US-based labels release near the holiday season at a time that means that the titles will usually arrive at US addresses in time for the holidays. But for people outside the US we have to worry that packages don't get lost in the Christmas post - they don't usually come for weeks into the new year.

That's what I'm worried about. I'd like to have it before Christmas!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012 edited
    WHITE FANG punk

Do I put this HERE or....
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    Poledouris is the draw for me on this one, if it was just Zimmer I'd not bother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too. The Intrada press release is conspicuously silent on the issue - why are there two scores? Track titles suggest they're both essentially scores for the whole film - was one score rejected?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I forget the actual details, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Basil's score was supposed to be rejected out right. Zimmer came in, wrote a new score but the producers ended up selecting cues from both scores and used them on a cue by cue basis in the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I believe you're correct Erik. I'm sure the booklet notes will fill in the details.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    I believe you're correct Erik. I'm sure the booklet notes will fill in the details.

I love booklet notes, specially the ones written by enthusiastic film music fans punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012 edited
    RE: CONAN THE BARBARIAN

From the Intrada Forum

"Hear ye, one and all. Nothing to lose sleep over. EVERY piece of music in the movie appears on our 3-disc set, all delivered under Poledouris' baton in a reading of raw intensity and primitive fury unmatched in any other performance. We're talking some 110 minutes or so of actual soundtrack music, newly-mixed from the complete 2" 24-track session masters PLUS numerous cues deleted from the re-recording such as: the striking tam-tam, low piano and percussion pieces ("Freedom Council" where Conan is turned loose from captivity, "Warpaint" where he prepares for battle), the drinking music before he's summoned to Osric ("Indulgence/Mettle") and the fire music prior to meeting the "Wolf Witch". You'll also find both Basil's original unused music for the snake fight, based on his gladiator "Pit Fights" music and Milius' preferred film version of "Las Cantigas De Santa Maria" that was used instead.

If that's not enough you'll find an early unused "Prologue", three different percussion loops written as alternates for the council meeting, a rejected and strikingly different "Anvil Of Crom" with trumpets doubling the horns in extremely high registers, an alternate "Battle Of The Mounds", unused versions of the entire "Children Of Doom" sequence written for mezzo-soprano with chamber orchestra as well as for female choir with harp (including a gorgeous, never-before-heard bridge passage for woodwinds), a complete re-construction from Universal's paperwork of the film-edited version of the kitchen battle ("The Defilers") and the similarly edited "End Title" music, the complete original Poledouris album assembly for MCA Records...

AND...

An "extra" of the complete "Prologue/Anvil Of Crom" sequence featuring our beloved Mako speaking that immortal opening, "When the oceans drank Atlantis... ." We wouldn't dream of leaving that off. You dear listeners get to have your cake and eat it, too.

(Oh, and yes, you get Arnold on the cover.)
    --Doug

P.S. And patience, please, as we dot the 'i's" and cross the "t's" in our packaging. We're as anxious as you to play this beauty. (Ok, yes, we can play it now... but we want you to be able to play it, too.)"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
    MUST. - WILL. - HAVE.