• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, I don't understand.

Me neither. Who brought this up?

Largo Winch just fizzles out at the end so I've put most of the louder cues there. What does that have to do with Zimmer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Desplat just doesn't write much loud music
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Tom, have you heard Frost/Nixon? Or As Good As It Gets? Don't associate *loud* music only with Zimmer.

If I blamed anybody for composing only loud stuff in most of his scores, I'd rather see Tyler there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If I blamed anybody for composing only loud stuff in most of his scores, I'd rather see Tyler there.

Tyler came to mind before I even got to the end of that sentence.
  2. lol

I didn't mean to attack him, but if anybody is to blame it's not Zimmer, who's much more, sorry, versatile here. He's been working on everything from weird dramas to action blockbusters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    But he can be known for very loud disturbing music as can others but I've never heard of anyone complaining about Desplat in that area. I don't dislike Zimmer at all. I just find some of his music especially when trying to watch the film way over the top. Didn't consider it an attack.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    Even better Largo Winch playlist:

Nerio's Theme
    Chosen One
    Chase Latino
    Two Brothers
    Ferguson
    Mato Grosso Escape
    Largo Winch
    The W Building
    The Deal
    Lea's Theme
    Meyer's Ear
    Korsky
    On The Run
    The Orphanage
    Melina
    Anna's Death
    Croatian Sorrow
    Vision In The Waves
    Dugi Otuk
    Hong Kong Chase
    Roof Fight
    Largo Jumps
    Epilogue
  3. Afterwards CD on 13.1.2009:

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B001MGKOCU
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    LARGO WINCH is amazing; the themes have really grow in me, can't stop listening to the CD and i don't mind the official order of the CD.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    LARGO WINCH is amazing; the themes have really grow in me, can't stop listening to the CD and i don't mind the official order of the CD.

I've listened to it too much now. Must have gone through the whole thing at least 6 times over the weekend and I've made myself sick of it. cry

The official album order isn't bad at all, but I felt it needed a bit more "bang" in the middle, and a much louder bang at the end. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    My own favourites:

Anybody who doesn’t think I’m smart enough to handle the job is misunderestimating.
    In Iraq there is no doubt in my mind, not one doubt in my mind, that we will fail.
    The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case.
    Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?
    I would still invade Iraq even if it never existed.

Oh these are fantastic. Surely there must exist an online list of all those? biggrin biggrin biggrin
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. LARGO WINCH is great. Wonderful to hear him in a lighter version of that expressive HOSTAGE scoring.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    LARGO WINCH is great. Wonderful to hear him in a lighter version of that expressive HOSTAGE scoring.

Exactly; there's a lot of melody in it as well, surprisingly i'd say, given the movie and the action cues of the score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said there is no release of the film in the US.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's coming out next year in the US Tom. wink
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    Personal Quotes on IMDB:

''Over the past 15 years, I've been able to build a voice, something that looks like me. I don't know if it's a "new" voice as some say, it's not within my ability to say - but I write what I like! So it's "me". I come from France, and I've worked here, and in England, and Spain, and I'm not going to dump the past 15 years of my life when I come to Hollywood. I will still improve by doing a European movie once in a while, because there's a different approach to film scoring. Even a film with a small budget - I don't care, as long as I can be creative. And being creative is the way to move forward.

Funnily enough, almost at the same time that the Hollywood career started to ascend, I received two major awards for Best Score in Europe: the Silver Bear in Berlin, and the Cesar in France. And suddenly it made sense that the stars were aligned at the same time here and there. I still have not gotten an award here, so I still have a long way to go! I think Maurice Jarre had three, and Michele Legrand had two or three. Yared had one. So, I have to work a little bit.''

I like this quote. It's actually something I would love to see and hear more often from other European composers. Some just leave their entire past behind. In general 'they' write good Hollywood scores, but there's sometimes something missing. And I think it's essentially, as Desplat explains: '' because there's a different approach to film scoring''.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    I couldn't agree more. I wish Powell would bring his old style (smaller) style of writing back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Hopefully it will
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I was also referring to something else than just the loss of an old style, but also just about losing contact with the filmmakers ''back home''. Take Georges Delerue. He was a wonderful composer, who's wrote a lot of good scores in the US, but (in general) these couldn't match his brilliant French scores. Desplat still writes plainty of good stuff for both EU as well as US films, but when I hear something like The Golden Compass it makes me very sad.
  5. Joep wrote
    I was also referring to something else than just the loss of an old style, but also just about losing contact with the filmmakers ''back home''. Take Georges Delerue. He was a wonderful composer, who's wrote a lot of good scores in the US, but (in general) these couldn't match his brilliant French scores. Desplat still writes plainty of good stuff for both EU as well as US films, but when I hear something like The Golden Compass it makes me very sad.

Hearing the best fantasy score since Lord of the Rings makes you sad?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Joep wrote

I love The Golden Compass. Such a rich score. Hollywood's best for a couple of years.
  6. Isn't Yared still scoring? Desplat talks about him like he's not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008 edited
    christopher wrote
    Isn't Yared still scoring? Desplat talks about him like he's not.

My [Mp3]copy of Largo Winch tells me otherwise. smile (I would imagine?)

Edit: wait, I got the names mixed up. Curse my apparent dyslexia!
  7. Yared is in the job, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    All I can say is that he's an exciting composer (Desplat)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2008
    If Desplat doesn't receive the Oscar for CCBB I'll forever ignore them. His music was that good for this film.
    Thomas
  8. He is always that good. When he receives an Oscar it will be for his worst Hollywood work, trust me bunny He will one day, though. I am pretty damn sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2008
    You're probably right and I'll probably ignore the Oscars forever.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Hearing the best fantasy score since Lord of the Rings makes you sad?

Lord of the Rings makes me sad too wink