• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I hope he doesn't win the Oscar because Desplat's score was an absolute floater in the film. Didn't enhance anything, IMHO. Actually, the film would have worked with out music. Like I said in the Now Playing thread I found the source material to be stronger.

-Erik-

I agree completely. The score was just a wallpaper of sound. There weren't many instances in the movie where the score actually helped the drama of the story.

Yeah; lets give it to Bollywood. rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I hope he doesn't win the Oscar because Desplat's score was an absolute floater in the film. Didn't enhance anything, IMHO. Actually, the film would have worked with out music. Like I said in the Now Playing thread I found the source material to be stronger.

-Erik-

I agree completely. The score was just a wallpaper of sound. There weren't many instances in the movie where the score actually helped the drama of the story.

Yeah; lets give it to Bollywood.

I'd rather not!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    As usual I'm wrong. It instead went to a score that I had to cover my ears a couple of times it was so loud, and gave my date a headache due to the relentess pounding percussion. I would have asked for a refund except the film itself had some merit. Certainly not the greatest film I saw in 2008 but a good one nevertheless.

Thomas

Which film is that? confused
  1. Slumdog Millionaire.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A-ha. Not going to watch that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Slumdog Millionaire.

You must be some kind of mind reader. shocked
  2. Among my other superpowers are my ability to find my toothbrush in the dark, a capacity to refuse alcohol on a Friday night, and to make my bed in 7 seconds. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    On a Friday night!? What are you, from Krypton?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    Steven wrote
    On a Friday night!? What are you, from Krypton?

Nearly as far.....Australia I believe!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    As I think about "Slumdog Millionare" again that awful soundtrack is coming back again.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009 edited
    Naïve records will release Et Après (Afterwards).

Info and making of:
    http://www.myspace.com/afterwards_ost
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009
    Isn't this about Desplat?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009
    Well, it's his latest score, so I thought that would fit this topic. wink
    Kazoo
  3. I have a copy of this on order from amazon.fr. Looking forward to hearing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    SWEET! WANT!
  4. For speakers of the world's most beautiful language:

La photographie très belle de Mark Ping Bing Lee, aussi à l'aise dans l'architecture fonctionnelle du quartier des affaires que dans le désert, et la musique soyeuse d'Alexandre Desplat ont en effet tendance à pousser le film vers une beauté plastique et sonore trop parfaite.

http://www.mulderville.net/index.php?p= … ntenu=2176
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    For speakers of the world's most beautiful language:

I'm afraid Italian speakers will be able to offer little assistance with that passage.
  5. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk
  6. More soundclips here, and you can download the score too:
    http://www.amazon.com/Afterwards/dp/B00 … amp;sr=8-1
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly which tracks on the Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium OST are by Desplat and which are by Zigman?
  7. From memory, Desplat wrote 'Night Time', 'Mahoney's Debut' and 'Finale' at least. The latter two are variations on the same source cue, and I think 'Night Time' is also a source cue, so they were needed for filming. We're not sure about the others, but he also wrote sketches of the themes and motifs that appear in these tracks, and which were applied by Zigman to the rest of the score. (With some lovely results - hearing the Desplat ideas in Zigman's piece 'The Flight of Magorium' is a nice case of a collaboration that worked well.) Most of the album doesn't sound like Desplat was the orchestrator to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    From memory, Desplat wrote 'Night Time', 'Mahoney's Debut' and 'Finale' at least. The latter two are variations on the same source cue, and I think 'Night Time' is also a source cue, so they were needed for filming. We're not sure about the others, but he also wrote sketches of the themes and motifs that appear in these tracks, and which were applied by Zigman to the rest of the score. (With some lovely results - hearing the Desplat ideas in Zigman's piece 'The Flight of Magorium' is a nice case of a collaboration that worked well.) Most of the album doesn't sound like Desplat was the orchestrator to me.

Cool. Thanks. beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    William wrote
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly which tracks on the Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium OST are by Desplat and which are by Zigman?

Wasn't it just the main theme by Desplat?
  8. See above.
  9. Those who wish to hear ET APRES in its entirety can find the album streaming here:

http://www.deezer.com/track/the-wonder- … bum/265803

I've only listened to the opening six tracks, but I like the variety. If you like Desplat in general, you'll like it. If you haven't been won over by anything so far, this won't be the score that does it. I imagine this is what his score for SEVEN POUNDS would have sounded like if he'd stuck with that project. While 'The Wonder of Life' and 'Lost' offer more typical melodic beauty from Desplat, cues like 'Crossroads' and 'NDE' have the austere, spectral energy of BIRTH that I like so much. (Clearly BIRTH was a main reference point for this score, as well as DE BATTRE MON COUER S'EST ARRETE.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    Sweet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thank you for that link Michael. Only heard three tracks, but I really like what I hear. Has some of the L'Ennemie Intime in it as well (track 3).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked