• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Of all the scores you listed, Signs is the only one I would consider ranking as great.

So would say that Atonement is as good as Star Wars? confused

Or do you have a ranking above "great"? That might be part of our misunderstanding here.

No, but Atonement is great! A score can be great without reaching the unreachable heights of Star Wars, Indy, Ben-Hur, The Adventures of Robin Hood, etc.

-Erik-

COULDN'T AGREE MORE! beer beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I don´t. Too much typewriting. ^^

But yes, scores can be great without being Star Wars. Especially because they are not Star Wars.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Of all the scores you listed, Signs is the only one I would consider ranking as great.

So would say that Atonement is as good as Star Wars? confused

Or do you have a ranking above "great"? That might be part of our misunderstanding here.

No, but Atonement is great! A score can be great without reaching the unreachable heights of Star Wars, Indy, Ben-Hur, The Adventures of Robin Hood, etc.

-Erik-

COULDN'T AGREE MORE! beer beer

rolleyes

Oh yes you could! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But yes, scores can be great without being Star Wars. Especially because they are not Star Wars.

Are you saying there are scores that are great because they're not Star Wars?
    Implying that Star Wars is not great?
    Shall we take this outside?
    uhm

(I'm feeling so belligerent today. biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There ARE better scores than Star Wars.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    kill Timmer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    What I am trying to say is that a lot of scores try to be great by cloning Star Wars. There are actually some great clones out there, but most of them are just soulless. Hence I prefer to look for something different in a new score, not for something I´ve heard before.

And yes, there are better scores than Star Wars. But I would never challenge the leading role Star Wars played in reviving thematical scoring.

Still wanna go outside? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Still wanna go outside? wink

Nah. It's freezing. freezing

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    kill Timmer

devil biggrin

Not many, admittedly, but some....yes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tim explode mer
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Timmer wroteNot many, admittedly, but some....yes!

Names please.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Tim explode mer

You've blown me in two!!!

You've blown me in two!!!

Yes, there ARE scores better than Star Wars.

Yes, there ARE scores better than Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    What I am trying to say is that a lot of scores try to be great by cloning Star Wars. There are actually some great clones out there, but most of them are just soulless. Hence I prefer to look for something different in a new score, not for something I´ve heard before.

Intriguing... I want examples of these soulless Star Wars clones.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Hm... for example, Battle Beyond The Stars.

Now wait a second before hanging me.

I love this score, but it has taken too many things from other great scores without adding something to their original greatness, including, of course, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Magnificent Seven, and so on. It is a clone, a good one, but not a great one, and it has no own identity ---> soul.

With Krull and Star Trek II, Horner proved that he can do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good example, Ralph. I actually agree.
  3. *blushes*
  4. Erik Woods wrote

franz_conrad wrote
    In fact, if I get it all in one go, there's probably not much reason to keep exploring.

Oh hog wash. You give any music repeated spins because it connects with you. I'm not going to listen to Star Wars for the 4 millionth time in hopes that I find something in the music that I've never heard before. If I do, that's an added bonus, but I play Star Wars because I like the music or it transports me back to the fantastic film or just makes me feel like a kid again, etc.

-Erik-

Some of the best flowers fade very quickly though.

Good example - Mark Snow's OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW. I couldn't get enough of that score the day I heard it, particularly the main melody. But a few days later, it was as though I'd gotten every bit of enjoyment I could out of the score. There was nothing more, and I've only occasionally listened to it since. I call these quick burn scores. The Wolfram de Marco score LOFT is another - loved it the first time, started to see how repetitive and temp tracky it was the second.(Maybe PERFUME is another recent example that 'faded' after a while.)

The idea that you don't (or I don't) always see the good immediately is not just applied to minimalist scores and the like. (JOSHUA took a few listens, though.) HELLBOY, which I listened to in the car this morning, was the opposite case. The first listen, I didn't connect. I didn't know one track from another, and it all sounded a bit overhyped and anonymous. And yet I know now that it's a really fine album, and the score in its film function is probably very strong too. It took a few unimpressed listens to see the value in it.

STAR WARS is a bit different. It's not just brilliantly-composed, but given the number of times I saw the film as a child, it's like how some patriotic people must feel when they hear national anthem - makes you all warm and bubbly. That kind of connection is hard to compete with.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is there a way to quantify what makes a better score than a great score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hm... for example, Battle Beyond The Stars.

Now wait a second before hanging me.

I love this score, but it has taken too many things from other great scores without adding something to their original greatness, including, of course, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Magnificent Seven, and so on. It is a clone, a good one, but not a great one, and it has no own identity ---> soul.

With Krull and Star Trek II, Horner proved that he can do it.

But some would consider Krull and Star Trek II to be a clone of Battle Beyond The Stars. I mean, most of the ideas for those scores can be found in Horner's soulless score for Roger Corman's sci-fi classic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Yeah, he had the right ideas (that´s why I think it´s a good score), but he developed them much further for Krull and ST II (that´s why I think those are great scores).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yeah, he had the right ideas (that´s why I think it´s a good score), but he developed them much further for Krull and ST II (that´s why I think those are great scores).

I don't know man... pick another one.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Phillips' Battlestar Galactica?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Phillips' Battlestar Galactica?

Good example. Very good score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Personally, I would rank BSG out, but only because of my personal connection to it. Objectively, you´re right.

On the other hand, Beastmaster is a soulless clone of both BSG and Star Wars. But still good.
  6. There´s another one:

Personally, Masters of the Universe is a favourite of mine. But I know a lot of people who think it´s a soulless Star Wars clone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep, agree with both again (even though I personally don't like Masters of the Universe)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One of the things the recent posts illustrate is that there is a huge gap between the perception that Star Wars was this great influence which changed all of film music, and the reality that actually barely anyone else has written anything like it since.

It's GREAT. Absolutely GREAT! But this theory that we suddenly saw an end to the bad ways of film music before and turned on to great film music afterwards is a weird one for me. The year before Star Wars, the Oscar was won by The Omen; the year after, it was won by Midnight Express.
  7. So obviously, some people would agree there are soulless Star Wars clones out there.
  8. Southall wrote
    One of the things the recent posts illustrate is that there is a huge gap between the perception that Star Wars was this great influence which changed all of film music, and the reality that actually barely anyone else has written anything like it since.

It's GREAT. Absolutely GREAT! But this theory that we suddenly saw an end to the bad ways of film music before and turned on to great film music afterwards is a weird one for me. The year before Star Wars, the Oscar was won by The Omen; the year after, it was won by Midnight Express.

Well, of course SW didn´t stop all that came before, and didn´t start all that came after. But its role in film music is undisputed, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Star Wars' influence has way more to do with a return to a certain style of film music making (i.e. a symphonic one) than a certain global outburst of quality.