• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008
    So where's Josh and Sam? tongue biggrin
  1. Bregt wrote
    Would the London stay be longer then just Sunday, or do we head back to Bristol on Sunday evening.

For me, I wouldn't want to stay in London for long after the concert - though I understand if people wanted to sightsee while there.

I'd probably head back to Bristol in the afternoon sometime.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Anthony wrote
    I'm not a huge fan of going to Bristol and then coming back to London. Why can't we just stay in one place? Train fares are stupidly high over here. slant

I still say London would still be the best place to meet. It's a logical meeting point, there's loads to do and see there, yesit is a bit more expensive, but in the end it's going to be cheaper than trekking it all the way to Bristol! wink

Bristol isn't really ideal for me either, but it seemed to be a logical place to recommend as it's (relatively) easy to get to by car or train.

I'm not sure that a couple of nights accommodation, food'n'drink, congestion charges (if applicable) or train fares to London is just "a bit more expensive".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Bregt wrote
    How will we book hostels?
    Together, or do people prefer alone?
    I wouln't mind a room of 4 or so for example, cheaper and it always ends up in some odd discussions before falling asleep. biggrin

Friday = arriving at Bristol
    Who will arrive at Bristol on Friday already?
    I could eventually just postpone it and leave Saterday morning in Belgium, but then I'll probably arrive just 5 hours later in Bristol. Anyone wants to join on Friday already?

Saturday = Bristol
    Venue?

Sunday = London/Bristol
    morning = London
    afternoon = London?
    evening = Bristol or a night @ London?

Monday = I'd like to visit Bath a day or two
    Tuesday = Bath

Wednesday = A stop in London and leave by eve to Belgium..

As for train tickets and transportation, I'm trying to find out what reductions and all I can acquire. But there's some infinite amount of possibilities. dizzy

I think that we'll find that people who want to get together will arrive in dribs and drabs over Friday/Saturday and the same will go for Sunday/Monday - depending on commitments. As I said earlier, I plan to travel down on the Satruday morning, aiming to arrive sometime around noon. And then travel back home on the Monday afternoon sometime.

Again, ideally I'd prefer to find my own accommodation (I'm getting too old for the dorm approach) so I'll be looking into getting somewhere cheap (whether it be a B&B or an inexpensive hotel chain). I'd look for guidance from Bristol residents - what area's best for getting to for example James' house via bus or local train. So, any accommodation ideas would help.

Maybe if James and/or Tim could give an idea if they are willing to put up with a few people coming around with some cans, etc then that would help with regard venues. Or recommend somewhere "in town" for us all to congregate.

Anthony, you seem to be a bit reluctant to come out to Bristol - and this is understandable if London is where you are coming from and then we all travel back into London a the concert. But someone mentioned the possibility of going into London with any concertgoers but doing a bit of sightseeing whilst the concert it happening. Maybe after the concert you could meet up with these people, then we could all meet up after the concert and hang out for a few hours before heading back to Bristol.

I think that it would be easier for planning if we decide that this time the base location is Bristol for those few days over the weekend.

Just my thoughts on this...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    This is the nearest hotel to my house:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/925 … tid=492351

It also has the benefit of being extremely close to Bristol Parkway station.

I am happy to offer lifts to anyone who needs them but I only have a two-seater car so there might be a bit of toing-and-froing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    This is the nearest hotel to my house:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/925 … tid=492351

It also has the benefit of being extremely close to Bristol Parkway station.

I am happy to offer lifts to anyone who needs them but I only have a two-seater car so there might be a bit of toing-and-froing!

That's the sort of info that's great James. Cheers! It seems to be not too far from you.
  4. James,

Would somewhere more central, and travelling out to you (Bristol Parkway station) be "easy". I notice there are a couple of Travellodge (relatively cheap) places:

1 - Anchor Road, A4, Bristol, Avon, BS1 5TT
    2 - Cribbs Causeway, Bristol, Avon, BS10 7TL

The Cribbs Causeway seems to be a bit isolated though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There are numerous hotels in Bristol city centre which might be more "fun" (there's nothing much to do at night out where I live - apart from everyone drinking beer at my house, of course, which is fine by me but perhaps people want to do something more exciting). The Cribbs Causeway one is in the middle of nowhere really. I'll see what I can find out.
  5. Southall wrote
    ...there's nothing much to do at night out where I live - apart from everyone drinking beer at my house, of course, which is fine by me...

And that's fine by me also. I don't really feel the need to do anything apart from eat, drink and talk to people about anything that comes to mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The hotel James suggested is quite expensive?

Anthony, would you like the idea to start the weekend with a day/evening/night in London (Friday)? I suppose you can entertain and guide me around there? In the morning we then leave for Bristol.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Someone please explain to me why Bristol is more logical than London? dizzy biggrin

Would have been good to organise this sooner, all met up on the 22nd and gone and seen Indy 4 at a big cinema!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    The hotel James suggested is quite expensive?

You're right, I didn't check the price!

There's also this one, but it may not be any cheaper:

http://www.hilton.co.uk/bristol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And this

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hot … otel_id=79

Perhaps my earlier contention that hotels would be far cheaper in Bristol was based too much on speculation and not enough on fact!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    They all offer me rooms for families! crazy
    And indeed not much cheaper.

Perhaps London is not a bad idea at all.

I think I'll also join the sight seeing on Sunday, the concert is another 50 ... euhm... what currency is used again in Britain?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Basically, the longer we leave it, the more expensive it's going to be. sad

My vote goes to London. Bristol just seems to be ''suggested'' by the people who already live there (no offence). slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I think I'll also join the sight seeing on Sunday, the concert is another 50 ... euhm... what currency is used again in Britain?

Just pay with Euros.
    They have to get used to them at some point. Stubborn gits.
    Oh, and whatever they ask, make sure you answer in the metric system.

"How was your trip?"
    "426 kilometers"

(I'm feeling aggressively educational these days)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    My vote goes to London. Bristol just seems to be ''suggested'' by the people who already live there (no offence). slant

I know London.
    Well.
    Small parts of London.

I don't know Bristol, and I want to see Tim and re-arrange James' CDs.
    My vote goes to Bristol.

(But I re-emphasize that it's possible that I won't even be able to make it at the last minute due to impending changes in the project, so my vote in all honesty shouldn't count. sad )

I'll go along with the majority.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Just pay with Euros.
    They have to get used to them at some point. Stubborn gits.

NEVER!! biggrin

Martijn wrote
    Oh, and whatever they ask, make sure you answer in the metric system.

Nope, we're really annoying and use a mix of things. We still prefer miles instead of kilometers but use kilograms instead of pounds etc. biggrin wink
  6. Just getting up to date with what's been said overnight...

The initial suggestion was a meeting in Bristol - yes or no. An alternate city was not an option. If people want to meet instead in London that's fine but a decision needs to be made.

Bristol. Yes or no?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Again (no offence), it seemed like ''it's Bristol!'' and all planning went around that. If we all have a vote of where would be best then that might be better. beer

Bristol is fine, but London is easier IMHO. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ANTHONY!
    Get with the program!

Alan's question was:

Bristol. Yes or no?

I say YES.
    (with the aforementioned priviso concerning any presence at all!)

So that's London - Bristol 0-1
    What say you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    I did at the outset suggest Bristol, mainly as I thought that this would be a good venue as both Tim and James are nearby. And it is served by major motorways and rail services, hoping that it would be relatively easy to get to for those not living in Bristol.

But if you want to go down the route of a democracy then fair enough! wink

Bristol.

BTW, Anthony, where would you be coming from for any meeting that is organised?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Democracy. Bah. angry
    Rotten system.
    We should just have one person take all the decisions.
    I nominate me. All in favour... er...oh...wait... slant

Anyway,

London - Bristol 0 - 2
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm down south, so kinda half way between the two.

My vote:

London - Bristol 1 - 2

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You think this is a DEMOCRACY?
    Your vote doesn't count!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    cry

goat < Does his count? (He votes London!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    cry

goat < Does his count? (He votes London!)

^ he's lost then cos there's far more goat's in the west country biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  7. Martijn wrote
    You think this is a DEMOCRACY?
    Your vote doesn't count!

Maybe it's FEUDALISM.
    It's your count that votes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt