• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    lp wrote

The score for Horton was amazing in the movie, and lackluster and unfocused on album.

I think it's amazing as an album too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    I think I'll try to get another full listen out of it. The last Powell animation score I could always listen to from start to finish is Robots.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

The score for Horton was amazing in the movie, and lackluster and unfocused on album.

I think it's amazing as an album too.

I'm going to agree with LP...well kinda anyway... tongue

The middle part of Horton on CD is a over-loud, unfocussed mess. Luckily the parts either side of that are way better, and the ending is EPIC! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    "Hollywood Blvd" from Hancock Rocks! beer

It has this powell rythms that has made this guy the most talented composer of this decade!

Yeah that's an amazing cue indeed.

One of the best action cues I've heard in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    elenewton wrote

Really? I'm incredibly underwhelmed by most of the tracks on the album. And there's about 2-3 minute of good action scoring there in the track, but I've heard better stuff from John Powell. But perhaps I'm just getting a bit tired of the same John Powell brass/percussion sound design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    elenewton wrote

Really? I'm incredibly underwhelmed by most of the tracks on the album. And there's about 2-3 minute of good action scoring there in the track, but I've heard better stuff from John Powell. But perhaps I'm just getting a bit tired of the same John Powell brass/percussion sound design.

He's capable of so much more, e.g. Paycheck. He's already proved he can write intelligent, interesting action scores, but with films like Hancock and to a slightly lesser degree Jumper, he doesn't seem to be very inspired at all.

I am very pleased with his score for Horton, I love it, but I don't think I want to hear another score like that from Powell (at least not for now). I want him to develop his Paycheck, X-Men III and even his Mr. And Mrs. Smith sound a little more, that's where he's more interesting. Of course, we could always hope for another Chicken Run, but I doubt he'll ever receive the divine inspiration he had when working on that movie! (And we can't rely on Harry Boring-Williams for that kind of thing these days! tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    elenewton wrote

He's capable of so much more, e.g. Paycheck. He's already proved he can write intelligent, interesting action scores, but with films like Hancock and to a slightly lesser degree Jumper, he doesn't seem to be very inspired at all.

I am very pleased with his score for Horton, I love it, but I don't think I want to hear another score like that from Powell (at least not for now). I want him to develop his Paycheck, X-Men III and even his Mr. And Mrs. Smith sound a little more, that's where he's more interesting. Of course, we could always hope for another Chicken Run, but I doubt he'll ever receive the divine inspiration he had when working on that movie! (And we can't rely on Harry Boring-Williams for that kind of thing these days! tongue )

Ack, Hancock is miles better than Chicken Run.

Anyway, his chief source of inspiration for Hancock is surely Danny Elfman's Spiderman scores. If they weren't the temp-track I'd be amazed. The more I listen to it, the more I'm sure it's his best score since Bourne Ultimatum - I'm really pleased with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

HAHA!!!

I lol'd. I lol'd hard. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

HAHA!!!

I lol'd. I lol'd hard. biggrin

Me too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008 edited
    If you were being serious, then you're a stranger man than I first thought. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Semi-serious. I probably need to listen to Chicken Run more. I listened to it once when it first came out and haven't ever been inspired to listen to it again - and I seem to have lost the CD now. I've listened to Hancock three or four times in a day so obviously it's done more for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008
    Dude, Hancock has virtually nothing interesting or new in it. Re-listen to CHICKEN RUN.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I would if I hadn't lost the CD!

Hancock has lots in it though. A really solid Powell score. I can't understand why some people are so negative towards it - it's much more interesting than his other ones this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How? Why? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It has a good main theme, the orchestration is more expansive than Powell usually uses in an action score, it's really good fun, and unlike Jumper it doesn't just sound like an extension of his previous scores, there's a real sense of identity about it being an individual score for this film. It's not as good as Bourne or Paycheck, I just don't get what people don't like about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lots of underscore that goes nowhere, mickey mousing, lots of unused musical space.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lots of underscore that goes nowhere, mickey mousing, lots of unused musical space.

That's Jumper for you too. But switch the mickey mousing with drone, and switch the unused musical space with a collection of 4 or 5 cues that are repeated again and again. wink

I still haven't heard Hancock, but I hardly think it's anything to look forward to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's Jumper for you too. But switch the mickey mousing with drone, and switch the unused musical space with a collection of 4 or 5 cues that are repeated again and again. wink

I still haven't heard Hancock, but I hardly think it's anything to look forward to.

You'll love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Southall wrote
    It has a good main theme, the orchestration is more expansive than Powell usually uses in an action score, it's really good fun, and unlike Jumper it doesn't just sound like an extension of his previous scores, there's a real sense of identity about it being an individual score for this film. It's not as good as Bourne or Paycheck, I just don't get what people don't like about it.

I agree, I can't understand how one can not like the final two tracks. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas wrote
    Southall wrote

A whole hour of boring moments for the 2 final tracks? It sounds ironic on its own wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote
    Southall wrote

A whole hour of boring moments for the 2 final tracks? It sounds ironic on its own wink

I think those last two tracks sound better because the rest of the album is so weak. Place those two tracks in a decent Powell score and I don't think they would stand out nearly as much.

I give up with this score, I'd rather listen to something worthwhile. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008 edited
    I gave Hancock a listen on my way to work this morning, and I have to say, I enjoyed it. It's got just enough lightness for a comedy, nice melodic moments for the drama, good ideas for this 'hip superhero' kinda film (Train Disaster contains some spot-on musical ideas, and SUV Chase is great!) and a great closing.

It certainly doesn't deserve all the negative attention (look further than the occasional mickeymouse-track, of which there really are only a few!), since it's just a solid score. Sure, some of the music isn't 'going anywhere' (Indestructible, for example), but the mood it creates is fun and it contains enough gorgeous themes in between to keep you interested (Getting Therapy, or the vocal of The Trailer). No masterpiece, it won't get in any Powell top 5's, but it does the trick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Even his Face/Off score had more interesting things going on. The 1st track is good, and the last two is equally good, but the whole album isn't that "good". Hancock is only a few notes above Jumper and is NO WHERE CLOSE to Paycheck. I think one of the theme in this score is extremely similar to something else that John's done.

To be fair, I'll blame the nature of this score on the director and his style of movie making. There probably weren't enough "action" to warrant, say, a 5 minute action track that we all would love to hear John write. There's simply too much miscellaneous stuff flying around and not enough cohesiveness for a satisfying listening experience. I was hoping for something better than Jumper (which it is), and somewhat closer to X3 (a score too Elfman to love), but came out underwhelmed and disappointed. Perhaps there are more interesting music that wasn't released in time.

I'll check out the movie and find out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2008
    lp wrote
    Even his Face/Off score had more interesting things going on. The 1st track is good, and the last two is equally good, but the whole album isn't that "good". Hancock is only a few notes above Jumper and is NO WHERE CLOSE to Paycheck.

Couldn´t agree more. Face Off is far better than Hancock and Jumper together. And is very far from Paycheck, one of his best scores IMO (too bad the movie is awful; it inspired Powell though):
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2008 edited
    Sorry to interrupt Hancock talk... wink

First BOLT trailer:
    http://www.empireonline.com/video/bolt/

To be honest... I like it biggrin It looks no longer bizarre American Dog by Chris Sanders, but I still like the character design
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I saw Wall-E last night and they had the trailer for Bolt before it. Didn't look good at all, but it still looked a whole lot better than what I originally expected. Let's hope we get something good from it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...but what about Wall-E???
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    ...but what about Wall-E???

Check recent viewing. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    I've also got a lot more of what the three-named-guys (JMcKS and JAT) did and will post that up soon!

Soo.....

Anthony, are you going to post the info on what James and John did?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    lp wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I've also got a lot more of what the three-named-guys (JMcKS and JAT) did and will post that up soon!

Soo.....

Anthony, are you going to post the info on what James and John did?

Saturday. Let me get back home first. wink smile