• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008 edited
    It's summer and what better way to cool down than to make a splash and get wet. All the 20 clips in this game have some sort of water theme to them (perhaps the movie or its setting). For each clip (#1-18) you get 1 point for identifying the composer and another point for the movie. The two bonus clips carry double points; hence you play for a total of 44 points! (18*2 + 2*4)

Submit your guesses via a PM. I'll let this run for about a week.

General hints:
    The 18 clips are arranged in chronological order and span 66 years. Bonus clip #1 is from 2004, and #2 is from 1996.
    Each composer appears only once.
    There were 3 instances of 2 films belonging to the same year. I followed no particular order for sorting those.
    Two of the movies have a connection to a certain big ship
    Some of the settings for the other movies are: sea adventures, stranded in an island, dangerous waters, the search for water, and sea animals.

Download the zip file-
    http://www.maintitles.net/music/gts/bp/bp-Water.zip

I'll add individual cue hints later this evening. The idea is for folks to have fun and not worry about 'tough' cues.

Hints
    #1 The original swashbuckler in the seas. From a period where wall-to-wall music was very common. This received a spectacular new recording last year (album paired with another score by the same composer)

#2 A historical event (in 1789) was the subject of a number of books and movies. This film received multiple Oscar nominations (but no wins). Many would consider the lead star as the greatest actor of all time.

#3 Someone has a unique way of returning home from a party. It involves getting wet at every home along the way. This composer has won a whole range of top awards.

#4 One of the many unsuccessful attempts in escaping imprisonment in this movie was by observing a pattern in the sea currents and trying to take advantage of it.

#5 No one should need a clue for this. If in doubt listen to only the last 2 seconds of the clip

#6 One of my favorite composers (sadly very few seem to like him around here, I guess) provides an ethereal atmosphere to the opening scene set in a shower room. Some girl is having her first .

#7 A game about the waters would be incomplete without this composer. The lead star in the film was married to a popular tennis player in the late 90s.

#8 That big ship. There's a lot of work to be done once it was discovered in the ocean floor.

#9 There could not be a more depressing film about wanting water. A city-smart character's attempt at farming gets thwarted.

#10 Many would agree that this score was robbed of an Oscar award.

#11 From a composer who was also in my last game. He has won a number of BAFTA awards.

#12 Rain plays a spoilsport in this charming comedy, wrecking what the townsfolk have 'built'. The movie title is quite a mouthful.

#13 A passionate theme for a story of love with that big ship as the setting. Very elegant, very European.

#14 This should be an easy one for the Media Ventures fans.

#15 A lush theme from a composer who's more known for his moody and mysterious scores. One of the stars in that big ship movie is in this one too.

#16 There's hardly much music in this film, hence no full score release. This end credits cue is from a compilation. From one of the top director & composer collaborations of our times.

#17 From a TV series on the history of the oceans! The production team reunited for another successful series in 2006.

#18 My favorite cue of that year. It captures that feel of having been through a long journey, full of charm, magic and hope for a better tomorrow. This composer's collaboration with this director have seen his scores go from strength to strength. Alas, the director's career graph is simply plummeting.

Bonus #1 (from 2004)
    Obscure French film. This composer has only two commercial score releases so far and both are simply stunning (Demetris will agree). Afflicted by severe drought this African tribe belive that they will have rains only when a certain lion is killed and send out a group of their young boys on this mission.

Bonus #2 (from 1996)
    From an Oscar winning composer! I'm not sure about the water theme in the movie but there's 'rain' in the title (translated).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    Great clips! I especially liked 3, 15, 17, 18 and the two bonuses. I probably have clip 17 somewhere, just couldn't figure out where it was from.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    I submitted my first guesses. Lots of great clips, my favourite clips were 5, 7, 11, 12, 15 and 17. I'm sure I've heard number 5 somewhere, it sounds so familiar!
  1. It's still tough for anyone who has never heard the majority of these clips, but still I think my guesses should be worth some points. After all playing's more important than winning...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    This is one I'm definately going to participate in!I've already recognised some of them but I'll wait for the hints to refresh my memory a bit more! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008 edited
    The hints for individual cues have been added. Check the original post.

Peter storms ahead, with Southall a close second. But the game has only begun...

Current standings
    plindboe 20 points dizzy
    Southall 16 points cool
    JuPe 10 points wave
    Dreamtheater 9 points biggrin
  2. Will enter when I can! wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008
    I recognized only one cue. This is going to be a tough one (again).
  3. I've sent my answers in...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008 edited
    More people join the party and Alan moves in straight to the first place and is the only person to guess one of the bonus cues. But Southall is very close...
    Stavroula, Demetris (hey you should know one of the bonus cues), The Grey Pilgrim and Dreamtheater all make decent starts.

Current standings
    FalkirkBairn 24 points beer
    Southall 23 points cool
    plindboe 20 points
    The Grey Pilgrim 12 points dizzy
    JuPe 10 points smile
    Dreamtheater 9 points biggrin
    Stavroula & Demetris 4 points wave

DreamTheater wrote
    It's still tough for anyone who has never heard the majority of these clips, but still I think my guesses should be worth some points. After all playing's more important than winning...

I'm surprised that you didn't get a certain cue which was from a cd that you and Tommy sold me. wink

Ranietz wrote

Which one did you recognize? There are quite a few easy ones in there. For the rest you might want to use the hints and take a chance at guessing. wave
  4. BhelPuri wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's still tough for anyone who has never heard the majority of these clips, but still I think my guesses should be worth some points. After all playing's more important than winning...

I'm surprised that you didn't get a certain cue which was from a cd that you and Tommy sold me. wink

Well if you knew about the obscure stuff my brother has (had) in his possession you would be as clueless as I am. 60 % of his stuff I've never even heard. There's quite a lot of 3-star rated scores among them that just bore me to death... biggrin

I will make another guess later this week. At least one of your hints rang a big bell in my head, I just couldn't guess exactly what it was from.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    Stavroula & Demetris eh? cool
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well if you knew about the obscure stuff my brother has (had) in his possession you would be as clueless as I am. 60 % of his stuff I've never even heard. There's quite a lot of 3-star rated scores among them that just bore me to death... biggrin

Lol. And I thought I knew Tommy as the only one who could give so much 3 star ratings confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula & Demetris eh? cool

Darl , you know the greek saying about fate...! tongue
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    There's a tough fight between Peter, Alan & Southall. And The Grey Pilgrim continues to add more to his tally. But zirael pulls a blinder and gets both the bonuses to move ahead of the rest shocked

Current standings
    zirael 34 points shocked
    plindboe 26 points wave
    FalkirkBairn 24 points
    Southall 23 points

The Grey Pilgrim 14 points spin
    JuPe 10 points
    Dreamtheater 9 points
    Stavroula & Demetris 4 points

However it's still anybody's game and franz is yet to play wave

DreamTheater wrote

I will make another guess later this week. At least one of your hints rang a big bell in my head, I just couldn't guess exactly what it was from.

Haha! Then you are excused smile But yes, do submit another guess.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    BhelPuri wrote

Ranietz wrote

Which one did you recognize? There are quite a few easy ones in there. For the rest you might want to use the hints and take a chance at guessing. wave

I recognized cue 14. (yeah, I'm new to this) There was a couple I have heard before but don't know what is. With the help of google and amazon I'll figure out a couple more. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Joep wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Lol. And I thought I knew Tommy as the only one who could give so much 3 star ratings confused

His ratings! I tend to give them even lower points. wink
  5. Joep wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

put a sock in it Joep biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    What a family! What scares me the most is that your brother calls a lot of your stuff obscure!
  6. Joep wrote
    What a family! What scares me the most is that your brother calls a lot of your stuff obscure!

considering with perhaps other people, I indeed have some obscure stuff, comparing to you I'm nobody! are you happy now? tongue
  7. Tommy_Boy wrote
    Joep wrote

considering with perhaps other people, I indeed have some obscure stuff, comparing to you I'm nobody! are you happy now? tongue

Ha the battle is on! Which round is this again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008 edited
    Zirael continues to forge ahead with just another 4 points to complete the game! But Peter is still within striking distance. Ranietz enters the game with a terrific performance punk with Thomas very close (and he still hasn't got the clip from the cd he sold me wink )
    Demetris gets the 1st bonus right and leaves Stavroula behind wave

zirael 40 points shocked
    plindboe 30 points beer
    FalkirkBairn 24 points
    Southall 23 points

Ranietz 18 points cool
    Tommy_Boy 17 points spin
    Demetris 15 points smile
    The Grey Pilgrim 14 points
    JuPe 10 points
    Dreamtheater 9 points
    Stavroula 4 points

Joep wrote

So Joep, when are you going to submit your guesses? wink
  8. Wow, looks like this game is going to be hard to make an impression on!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Another though game, but I will try... smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    BhelPuri wrote
    #5 No one should need a clue for this. If in doubt listen to only the last 2 seconds of the clip

#6 One of my favorite composers (sadly very few seem to like him around here, I guess) provides an ethereal atmosphere to the opening scene set in a shower room. Some girl is having her first .

I listened to the last two seconds of the clip, but still nothing.

The composer of clip 6 is a genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BhelPuri wrote
    Peter storms ahead

Hehe... biggrin

(sorry, for dutchies only... shame )
  9. BhelPuri wrote
    Zirael continues to forge ahead with just another 4 points to complete the game! But Peter is still within striking distance. Ranietz enters the game with a terrific performance punk with Thomas very close (and he still hasn't got the clip from the cd he sold me wink )
    Demetris gets the 1st bonus right and leaves Stavroula behind wave

zirael 40 points shocked
    plindboe 30 points beer
    FalkirkBairn 24 points
    Southall 23 points

Ranietz 18 points cool
    Tommy_Boy 17 points spin
    Demetris 15 points smile
    The Grey Pilgrim 14 points
    JuPe 10 points
    Dreamtheater 9 points
    Stavroula 4 points

Joep wrote

So Joep, when are you going to submit your guesses? wink

Joep doesn't know this stuff, it's not obscure enough biggrin
    And now I finally now which one you mean, that's why I sold it, I can't remember it anymore shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Beware of a late arrival to this game who has got 20 points without even listening to a single clip thanks to computer trouble. wink
    Any guesses as to who this might be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hey hey, i want my 17 points!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sorry, can't play.
    Brain my dead is.
    Kazoo