• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It´s the score from Caprica´s pilot, out on DVD soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Rian wrote
    And (i was really surprised) he's releasing yet another cd with his score for the new bsg spin-off series called 'Caprica'.

That's early! the new series is planned for 2010 I thought?

It just contains the score to the pilot episode, nothing more.
    Yes, he might be milking things a bit there.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  2. If I were him, I would milk it as much as possible. It´s a rare occasion to have that kind of attention level and passionate followers when you´re "just" scoring TV. Bear proves how great TV scoring can be and that success is possible if you just keep the faith in your work and try something new once in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If I were him, I would milk it as much as possible. It´s a rare occasion to have that kind of attention level and passionate followers when you´re "just" scoring TV. Bear proves how great TV scoring can be and that success is possible if you just keep the faith in your work and try something new once in a while.

Amen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    According to gamespot, he's scoring Capcom's new video game "Dark Void".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009
    punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    According to Amazon, Caprica will be appearing on June 16.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2009
    No spoiler track titles?
    Bother! sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Great blog about Bear´s music in Caprica´s pilot, including links to actual clips.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1903#more-1903

Especially the End Credit Suite is beautiful!
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Great blog about Bear´s music in Caprica´s pilot, including links to actual clips.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1903#more-1903

Especially the End Credit Suite is beautiful!

is this the final episode of the season? Or a finale 3 hour movie, like the pilot was?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009 edited
    No, this is Caprica, the pilot for the new series Caprica, coming to the renamed SyFy Channel next January. The pilot was published last week on DVD and hasn´t aired yet.

This new series is about how the Cylons were created in the first place 50 years before the events shown in Battlestar Galactica.

The final episode of Battlestar Galactica is called Daybreak and is indeed a three hour movie, seperated into Part 1 (one hour) and Part 2 (two hours), a rather foolish move by SciFi, because Part 1 doesn´t work as a standalone episode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2009
    SyFy? Seriously?
    Kazoo
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    No, this is Caprica, the pilot for the new series Caprica, coming to the renamed SyFy Channel next January. The pilot was published last week on DVD and hasn´t aired yet.

This new series is about how the Cylons were created in the first place 50 years before the events shown in Battlestar Galactica.

The final episode of Battlestar Galactica is called Daybreak and is indeed a three hour movie, seperated into Part 1 (one hour) and Part 2 (two hours), a rather foolish move by SciFi, because Part 1 doesn´t work as a standalone episode.

ah a spin off
    ok, we'll see then
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Bregt wrote
    SyFy? Seriously?

Yup. The name was used for many years by a genre newspage, before NBC bought it from them to use for the renamed SciFi Channel.

Now, any thoughts on the music? The suite reminds me of MANY things I like, so this is another step in the right direction for Bear McCreary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What's this CAPRICA series going to be about? Sci-fi alien thingies again?
  6. Never watched Galactica, didn´t you? Nearly one hundred episodes and not a single alien creature. As a matter of fact, Edward James Olmos said the second some guy with an alien latex mask appeared on set he would leave the series. So they didn´t do it.

As Galactica, Caprica will deal with very human problems and shortcomings which, over time, will be enough to nearly wipe out the race. No aliens needed.

Unless you call Cylons alien thingies, but they only were aliens in the classic series. The reimagined BSG made humankind out as their creators. As a matter of fact, Caprica will deal with exact this creation.

Now, any thoughts on the music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i haven't watched it. The genre is not exactly my thing. It's ok for a movie or two but sitting through all those seasons seems too much for me.

The music though, it's top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    The music though, it's top stuff.

Here´s the direct link to the End Credits Suite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks!
  7. Good music. I quite like the dark feeling of the melodies here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Having never seen a single entry in the Terminator franchise, I decided to purchase and watch everything in the series, all 3 movies and the TV show, in preparation for the new film this summer.

so i am wondering...how does Bear's score for Sarah Connor Chronicles compare to his BSG stuff?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's rather good; you'll find similar musical traits, like the orchestration and arrangement for instance and the percussive nature of BSG, although sparser and darker as a whole. It's a good work; McCreary is one of the very interesting cases of the younger composers in the genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I consider Bear´s music for TSCC to be a very interesting combination of his BSG style and Fiedel´s original Terminator material.

You should keep in mind though, that, although both Terminator 3 and TSCC tell what happens after T2, they do so quite differently, so we have two different continuities, and it´s even possible that the new movie will ignore both of them. So, watching The Terminator and Terminator 2 should be just fine as preparation, although T3 at least explains why there is a fourth movie at all.

Personally, I like both T3 and TSCC.

While T3 is considered by many as a bad sequel, I thought the timeline complications it played with to be quite fascinating, and I like the ending specifically. Watching it will do you no harm, I think.

TSCC has 31 episodes now, which is a lot to swallow as preparation, since it adds not much to the movie mythology, but plays with series-specific storylines up to the point where the future may not be the one we´re used to know from the movies, so as part of the movie continuity, the series is just great in recapturing the atmosphere of Cameron´s two original movies, but then takes its own path down the road, which will have probably nothing or at least not much to do with the continuity from Terminator Salvation. As a series standing on its own, it´s great, but keep in mind that it ends with a massive cliffhanger that will probably never be resolved because the series is on the brink of cancellation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As a series standing on its own, it´s great, but keep in mind that it ends with a massive cliffhanger that will probably never be resolved because the series is on the brink of cancellation.

Too bad, I liked TSCC, specially the second season. The last episodes are really good and the cliffhanger had a lot of possibilities. Nice return of Derek´s theme when he shows up in the end.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hmm...maybe I will hold off on buying the show then...didn't realize it was in danger of being cancelled, I thought it was quite popular. Thanks for the advice!
  8. It IS a great show, and, like Firefly, worth watching despite its open ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    but Firefly has an ending....
  9. Yeah, but still is was worth watching before Serenity became reality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    haven't seen firefly yet, i just bought it on blu-ray, so i can't comment further on that. but in general i can't stand cliffhangers, because the ending is always the most important part of a story to me.