• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Gangs of New York - Elmer Bernstein

I've not seen this movie and so don't know why his score would have been dropped but I wanted to listen to this from beginning to end to get a better idea of how this sounded...and it's certainly a score that rewards with some serious listening time put aside to appreciate it.

Being just over 70 minutes in length and being made up of 50 individual tracks does break up the listening experience. But the music itself is dark and brooding, and there's some major colour to the score in the shape of Irish bagpipes, martial snare drums and Bernstein's favourite; the ondes martenot.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    NP : HOSTAGE - Alexandre Desplat

One of my favourite scores of recent years.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Batman Returns (Elfman)

I'm probably inclined to be a little harsher on the more recent Batman score after reminding myself of the excellent themes for the Penguin and Catwoman.

I would love it if orchestras around the world performed this score as part of their repertoire. The album plays like a great, dark, symphony. Brilliant score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

I would love it if orchestras around the world performed this score as part of their repertoire. The album plays like a great, dark, symphony. Brilliant score!

-Erik-

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the first Batman score? Because BR sounded better when it was called Edward Scissorhands.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    On The Beach Christopher Gordon

This Aussie is a man of great talent.

I've almost overheated my CD player with that score lately! Just brilliant! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Black Cauldron - Elmer Bernstein

Amazing stuff! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    On The Beach Christopher Gordon

This Aussie is a man of great talent.

I've almost overheated my CD player with that score lately! Just brilliant! beer

Among many of the other fantastic cues on this album, I really like 'Alien Landscape' which starts off with uneasy, tense string writing very reminiscent of Williams' Close Encounters, and then about half way through shifts into apocalyptic mode. I've not seen the film, and to be honest I have no interest, I prefer to think of this as a non-score symphony.
  2. NP: Wall-E - Thomas Newman

Simply brilliant. cool
    A bit annoyed though that the movie was delayed, to be released next month here. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Charlie Wilson's War - James Newton Howard

"And he shall purify..."

Good stuff. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the first Batman score? Because BR sounded better when it was called Edward Scissorhands.

Not at all. While the original Batman is a classic, Batman Returns is something almost completely different. Sure, it has those trademark Elfman fairytale sounds from Edward Scissorhands but none of the themes from that score are in Returns. And as Michael said earlier, Elfman's Catwoman and Penguin themes are simply delicious and go through such extraordinary variations throughout the score. Catwoman's meowing strings are inventive and the tragic Penguin music is heartbreaking. Even Elfman's Batman theme go through various changes. Overall, it's a wonderful sequel score and as I said plays like a symphony. One of the very best produced albums I own.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: Wall-E - Thomas Newman

Simply brilliant. cool
    A bit annoyed though that the movie was delayed, to be released next month here. crazy

You know... I had an Oh-Hum first listen but after seeing the movie I too think that Newman score is one of the best of the year. For a film without much dialog the music has work in order for the film to succeed. Thomas Newman succeeded! Everything from the jaunty Wall-E music to the GORGEOUS space dance music to the epic action material and my favorite cue "The Axiom" docking music.... it's GOLD!!!

However, if there is one blemish it's the Short Circuit music heard in the middle of the film. If you are familiar with THAT score, as I am, then you will hear the influence of David Shire score for another music about a friendly robot in "Foreign Contaminant." It's just the rhythm of the Short Circuit main title theme that is used but I spotted it a mile away. But it works and works extremely well in that sequence. I'm still struggling with the score on CD but now having seen the film I can really appreciate the score. It's dynamite!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

Read my thoughts HERE. Superb stuff!

-Erik-
  3. Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No need to be daft AND obnoxious. Both qualities are much better in isolation. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Nine Hours to Rama...Malcom Arnold. This is one that was best left unrecorded unless you like sitar and percussion.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Nine Hours to Rama...Malcom Arnold. This is one that was best left unrecorded unless you like sitar and percussion.

Tom smile

I haven't heard this for years Tom but I do remember enjoying it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I have often said there is just some music that I don't understand and this is one of them.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Sinbad - Legend Of The Seven Seas - Harry Gregson-Williams

A very fine score by HGW, IMO. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Sinbad - Legend Of The Seven Seas - Harry Gregson-Williams

A very fine score by HGW, IMO. punk

One of his best really, it's a fun score.

NP: Wall•E - Thomas Newman

It's definitely growing on me.

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HELLRAISER - Christopher Young

Brilliant horror score from a true master of the genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Apollo 13 James Horner

I include two dialogue tracks from the regular album onto the promo album because I actually like how they work as in introduction to the music that follows them; 'Launch Control' and 'Waiting For A Disaster - A Privilege'.

Tis AWESOME.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I agree, it's nice to hear Horner's music swell up behind some of the more dramatic pieces of dialogue in the movie. And it's also my favourite Horner score, so it's a perfect blend.

NP: Blood Diamond - James Newton Howard

Just want to get charged up on some JNH before I go out. Bliss!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    I agree, it's nice to hear Horner's music swell up behind some of the more dramatic pieces of dialogue in the movie. And it's also my favourite Horner score, so it's a perfect blend.

Glad to see someone agrees with me! Most people don't, which is understandable. Why have dialogue on an album which is meant to be about the music? Well, for the reasons you described quite clearly. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

Glad to see someone agrees with me! Most people don't, which is understandable. Why have dialogue on an album which is meant to be about the music? Well, for the reasons you described quite clearly. cool

I can see your point and the dialog does work well but I still prefer to hear my film music albums without dialog.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree of course, but there are the odd albums that I like with the dialogue. Certainly Apollo 13 and Williams' War Of The World spring to mind. (But dialogue over music you want to hear IS annoying.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

I can see your point and the dialog does work well but I still prefer to hear my film music albums without dialog.

-Erik-

I would normally completely agree, I hate dialogue/sound effects interfering with music. But because of the fact that the promo edition is available, it's not as though there isn't an alternative. Horner's music worked perfectly in that film and sometimes it's just nice to remind myself of that, by listening to the original CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I agree of course, but there are the odd albums that I like with the dialogue. Certainly Apollo 13 and Williams' War Of The World spring to mind. (But dialogue over music you want to hear IS annoying.)

One of those albums where it's great to have the regular and promo release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Steven wrote

Angela's Ashes (US version), chock full of dialogue, but over the years I've grown to like it, as it's actually part of the sad story and it's told in such a fashion (non-intrusive, most of it) it helps with the emotional aspect of the score.

Just thought of this: the most obnoxious dialogue-filled score release remains Babe (Varese Sarabande), that wonderful music being massacred by singing mice and other voices which belong in the movie and only in the movie. AAAARGGHHHHHHHHHHHH crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    IQ - Jerry Goldsmith

I know why Goldsmith might have wanted this one to remain unreleased (it's so very repetitive) but it's a delightful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Angela's Ashes (US version), chock full of dialogue, but over the years I've grown to like it, as it's actually part of the sad story and it's told in such a fashion (non-intrusive, most of it) it helps with the emotional aspect of the score.

Ooooooh... but "Back To America" sounds soooooo much better WITHOUT the dialogue. Thank God I was sent a promo.

NP: Various Piano Cues - Various Artists

Usually when I'm editing and can't play music in the background but this boring medical video I'm working on is killing me and I need something playing the background. So, I typed in the word "Piano" into iTunes and selected a few tracks.

I just finished playing
    - Vanessa In The Garden from Amazing Stories - Lennie Niehaus (lovel)
    - La Valse D'Amelie from Aleilie - Yann Tiersen (what a delightful score)
    - Piano in an Empty Room from Blade Runner - Vangelis (this in the first time I've heard this piece and it could easily be transplanted into Giacchino's LOST scores)

Currently Playing:
    Testament (Hope-Piano Arrangement) from Concerts Pour L'Aventure (James Horner)

-Erik-
  4. Erik, how does the "piano" tag work in iTunes?

Do you have to select "piano" and associate it with specific tracks or does iTunes select a series of "key words"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn