• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    Yeah, it's Walking with Beasts! My folder was misnamed "Walking with Dinosaurs" tongue Thanks for correcting! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    AS or A2? Either way, hope you do well in it. Those exams are a bitch, I had chemistry ones last year.

I take it you'll be going to uni?

A2. The exam was quite good to be honest. This particular module didn't have a great deal of diverse content so it was easy to revise. Next week is the synoptic paper though and I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT ONE BIT.

I also do chemistry, got an exam tomorrow. slant

NP: Snow Falling On Cedars - James Newton Howard

A beautiful, subtle work. cool

P.S. Nice to see you appreciating the great Mr. Howard, Steven! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith
    Looks like I'm in Goldsmith mood today yet again! Great stuff! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith
    Looks like I'm in Goldsmith mood today yet again! Great stuff! punk

You're on a good run of plays today Ravi cool beer

NP : BEOWULF - Alan Silvestri

I can't remember playing a Silvestri album this much since I bought Predator 2 shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

Probably my favourite score from roughly the first half of JNH's film music career. It was also the biggest score he'd done up until that point. It's a very strong score which often reaches epic proportions and has plenty of emotional material to allow for breathing space. The O.K. Corral cue is amazing!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Awesome score my friend, awesome score.

Restoration JNH

First listen. It's... well, very lush, melodic and beautiful. I like! lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And in similar vein to my last play....

NP : THE VIKINGS - Mario Nascimbene

Possibly one of the most memorable film themes ever written, this is great music, it's just such a shame the sound source is so bad.

For a better recording Silva does a fine version on Cinema Choral Classics.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote

Possibly one of the most memorable film themes ever written, this is great music, it's just such a shame the sound source is so bad.

That was one of two tunes my Grandad wanted played at his funeral! The other one was Born Free.

He wanted The Vikings played as his coffin was carried out. Classic my-Grandad for ya. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

That was one of two tunes my Grandad wanted played at his funeral! The other one was Born Free.

He wanted The Vikings played as his coffin was carried out. Classic my-Grandad for ya. biggrin

Awwww, that made my eyes mist thinking of that.

Seems your Grandad was a class act! smile beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN WILLIAMS - Schindler's List

One of those scores that are being composed - perhaps - once in one's lifetime. A very rare masterpiece, a musical work that contains all the beauty and brilliance of film music in itself.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Happenning | JNH

First proper listen. (Yes I'm slow!)

Seems like a score that needs a lot of attention. I haven't yet found a cue where I can go "oh, I have 5 minutes free, I think I'll listen to *name here*". It's all of it, or nothing!

Nevertheless, a very solid effort by JHN. Sometimes bordering on drone, but it usually manages to go in an interesting direction. The piano motif in "Central Park" is especially eerie. I like what I hear! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Mancini's Greatest Hits - Henry Mancini
    performed by the Cincinnati Pops conducted by Erich Kunzel

A dazzling album featuring some well known favorites - Pink Panther, Moon River, Peter Gunn - and some that I was unfamiliar with - Symphonic Soul (now in my "My Favorites" playlist), Arctic Whale Hunt [From the White Dawn], Drummer's Delight, and March with Mancini. This is a magnificent recording with wonderful, spirited performances. I've always enjoyed Kunzel's albums (especially his older recordings) and this one doesn't disappoint. Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Mancini's Greatest Hits - Henry Mancini
    performed by the Cincinnati Pops conducted by Erich Kunzel

A dazzling album featuring some well known favorites - Pink Panther, Moon River, Peter Gunn - and some that I was unfamiliar with - Symphonic Soul (now in my "My Favorites" playlist), Arctic Whale Hunt [From the White Dawn], Drummer's Delight, and March with Mancini. This is a magnificent recording with wonderful, spirited performances. I've always enjoyed Kunzel's albums (especially his older recordings) and this one doesn't disappoint. Highly recommended!

Yes, I heard it as well a couple of days ago. Don't you just love the energitic spirit of the 4th track, from The Pink Panther? I find that cue awesome.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN WILLIAMS - Schindler's List

One of those scores that are being composed - perhaps - once in one's lifetime. A very rare masterpiece, a musical work that contains all the beauty and brilliance of film music in itself.

This Violin... biggrin Just Kidding.

NP:Cleopatra (jones)

The Jones score I most enjoy. Even if it's one of his most simple score.

I love the mix of new age and Rozsa. A more succeful "Roman" score than Gladiator. IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Steven wrote
    Awesome score my friend, awesome score.

Restoration JNH

First listen. It's... well, very lush, melodic and beautiful. I like! lick

I haven't heard this one, but I've read some very good things about it. It's the one written in a more traditional classical period style, right?

NP: Bee Movie - Rupert Gregson-Williams

Somehow seems appropriate since I was stung while mowing the lawn today. Although the experience wasn't as bad as when I was six or seven, it wasn't quite as fun as this score either! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Swept from the Sea - John Barry

Haven't listened to this for years. Very fine indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Melbourne 2006 - Official Music From The Opening Ceremony Christopher Gordon

Magical. And I have a close affection for this 'score' as it reminds me very vividly of my California holiday last Summer. cheesy
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Excerpts) - John Williams

The highlights for me are...

- The Jungle Chase <-- The latter half is all that I like

I'm not crazy about the way 'Adventures of Mutt' swings in at 1:10, but prior to that, the way Williams works Irina's theme through the ensemble is one of my favourite sections of the album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Walking With Dinosaurs - Benjamin Bartlett

A great but underrated score. Battle of The Salt Plains is awesome and the cello from Flight of The Giant is just unearthly!! shocked

SERIOUSLY underrated!

It's right up there with the best TV scores ever written!

p.s. Are you sure you're not talking about Walking With Beasts ? That's the album that contains Battle of The Salt Plains which from the one off show The Ballad Of Big Al, with the rest of the album containing highlights of Walking With Dinosaurs.

There's a full score album for Walking with Dinosaurs too.
    An excellent score! There are lots of goodies in the BBC TV series. punk
  2. It's difficult to know where to begin when there's 250+ posts in the thread - some excellent selections throughout. Particularly from Tim...some great "oldies". punk

At the moment I'm looking forward to hearing The Happening after reading the positive comments.

NP: The Day Time Ended - Richard Band

Nothing very grand about this one but there's a feel to this score that makes it very appealing. It seems quite intimate somehow. Perhaps it's the relatively small ensemble? I'm not too sure. But it's a great little listen and may be a good example of what a fine year 2008 is for releases...of older scores.

There's something about Band's music that keeps me dipping into his work when it becomes available from labels like Intrada. Some of his work is obviously "low-budget" but people could do worse than giving this score a chance. And it's twinned with The DungeonMaster.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: The DungeonMaster - Richard Band

Divides into two halves this one: there's the orchestra-dominated Band material and then there's the Shirley Walker/Gary Chang scored electronic stuff. I'm not sure they sit very well side-by-side as a listening experience. I much prefer the orchestral pieces.

And definitely the beautiful The Day Time Ended over The DungeonMaster.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Walking With Dinosaurs - Benjamin Bartlett

A great but underrated score. Battle of The Salt Plains is awesome and the cello from Flight of The Giant is just unearthly!! shocked

SERIOUSLY underrated!

It's right up there with the best TV scores ever written!

p.s. Are you sure you're not talking about Walking With Beasts ? That's the album that contains Battle of The Salt Plains which from the one off show The Ballad Of Big Al, with the rest of the album containing highlights of Walking With Dinosaurs.

There's a full score album for Walking with Dinosaurs too.
    An excellent score! There are lots of goodies in the BBC TV series. punk

I have that too BP, shame they couldn't include more tracks, having watched the series again recently I was struck by how much was left out.

Easy a 5 / 5 listening experience IMO!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Swept from the Sea - John Barry

Haven't listened to this for years. Very fine indeed.

Oh, i adore that. Those 2 themes are simply irresistible, definitely one of Barry's best scores, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008 edited
    NP: Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban - John Williams

The best Potter score till date, tracks like A Window To The Past, Buckbeak's Flight, Lupin's Transformation and Finale are great!! I really hope maestro Williams is back for Deathly Hallows! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban - John Williams

The best Potter score till date, tracks like A Window To The Past, Buckbeak's Flight, Lupin's Transformation and Finale are great!! I really hope maestro Williams is back for Deathly Hallows! biggrin

The best Potter score indeed! Buckbeak's flight is awesome. In spite of all the countless flight themes JW has done, he still pulls another magnificient one out of his hat!
    I was a little miffed at the Rossini homage in Aunt Marge's waltz but the rest of the score is lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's difficult to know where to begin when there's 250+ posts in the thread - some excellent selections throughout. Particularly from Tim...some great "oldies". punk

At the moment I'm looking forward to hearing The Happening after reading the positive comments.

NP: The Day Time Ended - Richard Band

Nothing very grand about this one but there's a feel to this score that makes it very appealing. It seems quite intimate somehow. Perhaps it's the relatively small ensemble? I'm not too sure. But it's a great little listen and may be a good example of what a fine year 2008 is for releases...of older scores.

There's something about Band's music that keeps me dipping into his work when it becomes available from labels like Intrada. Some of his work is obviously "low-budget" but people could do worse than giving this score a chance. And it's twinned with The DungeonMaster.

Yeah this score brings back memories! Simple but nice. Small orchestra sadly.
    I like a bit of "classic Richard Band" every now and then.
    I just wish the expanded Mutant release I recently got didn't have dodgy tracks with almost mono sound in places! Very dissapointing since I quite like this mid-eighties zombie score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

Great stuff, man!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Betrayel' from Enemy at the Gates James Horner

The film was on last night, and it was this cue that worked particularly well. Extremely powerful film music, especially when the choir kicks in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

Great stuff, man!! punk

I feel very near to your tastes, dude!

The only problem with First Knight is I don't know if it's my favourite Goldsmith score or it is Total Recall. tongue

NP:Beowulf (Silvestri)

Adicted to his 3 main themes. I even like the electronic bits in the first track!

PS: My mp3 player is dead, so Im playing this with my cellular: A Samsung ZV-60. I don't know if I buy a new Mp3 player or this cellular has a good sound quality.....What do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    'Betrayel' from Enemy at the Gates James Horner

The film was on last night, and it was this cue that worked particularly well. Extremely powerful film music, especially when the choir kicks in.

The russian oriented Stuff is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Sadly the schindler list theme (Wich is , in fact a theme used for Horner since Project X) and the danger motif ruins the whole thing.