• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    My mother likes John Barry. She is a woman of taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Barry and Delerue have a lot in common. So, mine has taste too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    JAMES HORNER - the house of sand and fog

Love that, soothing, off-beat and touching, moody. Very good background listen.
  1. Brian Tyler - Partition

Better the second time around. This time listening due to my little research in Indian music for something. Not that it sounds very Indian, alas biggrin . Not the best effort ever, but a really nice theme even if combining Horner with some John Barry sensibilties. Also using his typical chord progression at times, though not as evidently as in say Bubba-Ho-Tep, Children of Dune or even Rambo's dramatic theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhhh that's heartwarming to hear guys cool

As I may have said elsewhere, my Mother ( RIP ) had a fine taste in my film scores and particularly loved Miklos Rozsa and would often request me to play her something from Ben-Hur, King of Kings etc.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Forgot to mention, both my parents loved the PoTC scores. "What Shall We Die For" got a very rare appraisal from Dad! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    My dad and I were listening to an assortment of Thomas Newman scores last night, we had a great time.

NP: Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events - Thomas Newman

He was surprisingly fond of this one, in particular two of the finale cues One Last Look and The Letter That Never Came, both utterly gorgeous.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    LSH wrote
    My dad and I were listening to an assortment of Thomas Newman scores last night, we had a great time.

That is so cool! punk

NP: Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events - Thomas Newman

He was surprisingly fond of this one, in particular two of the finale cues One Last Look and The Letter That Never Came, both utterly gorgeous.

cool

Somehow I've always been postponing getting Tom Newman scores. I love them but the only cd of his I have are Shawshank & Good German (plus Angels in America online). I came very close to buying Lemony Snickets just for two cues- The Letter That Never Came Home & Drive away. The former is yet another Newman beauty and the latter is just perfect for the end credit graphics. Very addictive!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - the house of sand and fog

Love that, soothing, off-beat and touching, moody. Very good background listen.

Good idea smile

NP : THE HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MISSION - Ennio Morricone

cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lost Season 3 Michael Giacchino

Perhaps my favourite of the three... I dunno. I love 'em all!

Same here, definitely my favorite of the three so far. Shame season 4 wasn't so interesting, music-wise (granted i haven't watched the last 3 episodes yet).

I guess it's good that those last 3 episodes will change your mind then! biggrin FREIGHTER THEME!!!! And another epic NEW one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fist listen: CRAIG ARMSTRONG - the incredible hulk

The opening 2 titles, the 2nd being the MAIN TITLE are very impressive, raw and aggressive with a distinct Elfman (of HULK, RED DRAGON) quality in them and the same goes for the inferno of " 10. That Is the Target. " or the kick-ass "22.Hulk theme"

But not long 'till the standard Armstrong dramatisms (enriched with interesting middle-easter percussion vibe) and very intense Powell's BOURNE-isms ("The Flower") take on.

God is POWELL's Bourne effective on everyone or not?!?

The wholly (well, the vast majority at least) orchestral nature is a very pleasant surprise though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Enemy At The Gates James Horner

Fecking awesome. Perhaps a little too long, but with some editing it makes a great album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Best of the Decade (2000 - 2007) - Various Artists
    "Coming Home from the Sea" from The Perfect Storm (James Horner)
    I LOVE this score. A true James Horner score with a wonderful theme and some intense action highlights. This opening cue gives you everything you'd might hope from a solid, original Horner score and that guitar riff as "the boys" come home is great.

-Erik-

Couldn´t agree more. One of Horner´s best, and one that I play very frequently. The main theme and its many variations are great, and the almost 80 minutes of score are a total pleasure to listen to no matter how many times you´ve heard it. Horner at his best!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote

Fecking awesome. Perhaps a little too long, but with some editing it makes a great album!

The first track is simply G-R-E-A-T. Ahh, I want this Horner again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

It is, and 'Betrayel' is even better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fist listen: CRAIG ARMSTRONG - the incredible hulk

The opening 2 titles, the 2nd being the MAIN TITLE are very impressive, raw and aggressive with a distinct Elfman (of HULK, RED DRAGON) quality in them and the same goes for the inferno of " 10. That Is the Target. "

But not long 'till the standard Armstrong dramatisms (enriched with interesting middle-easter percussion vibe) and very intense Powell's BOURNE-isms ("The Flower") take on.

God is POWELL's Bourne effective on everyone or not?!?

The wholly (well, the vast majority at least) orchestral nature is a very pleasant surprise though.

And here comes Armstrong's BATMAN BEGINS on "Give Him Everything You've Got"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

True. Two early decade Horner scores (this one and The Perfect Storm mentioned by Erik in a previous post) that I particularly love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

True. Two early decade Horner scores (this one and The Perfect Storm mentioned by Erik in a previous post) that I particularly love.

The Perfect Storm? More like The Perfect Score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

Good film too! Watched it again the other night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

Good film too! Watched it again the other night.

Yep, that's why I've been playing it lately. Very good film, especially the shot of Shasha's hanging dead body, quite a shocking moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    The Perfect Storm? More like The Perfect Score.

Couldn't agree more mate, brilliant score in just about every way. Think I might give this a spin right now.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    BhelPuri wrote
    LSH wrote

That is so cool! punk

I know! My parents divorced 10 years ago but I go to see my dad every Thursday. And this is what we do, listen to scores and have a chat over a few beers, it's great. I arrive with my iPod, connect it to the 5.1 speakers and just chill. He's the only person I know who shares at least some of my enthusiasm for film music and he's always really excited to hear any new scores I may have received that week. He likes everything I like, especially James Newton Howard - he's a fan of Blood Diamond, King Kong and Signs in particular - they certainly get a lot of playtime when I'm there. But yeah, he likes Tom Newman a lot too, since his music is always great to chill out and unwind to. I feel so lucky, the most enthusiasm I've detected from my mom was when a bit of American Beauty was playing in the background of a TV documentary and she said "I like that music...", but since then, nothing. Oh well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's good to hear! smile

My parents, my friends, they all seem to like film music. I feel very lucky in that respect, they're always asking for more score albums... ! shocked (No kidding.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I live in a cruel world it seems.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    Steven wrote
    ... they're always asking for more score albums... ! shocked (No kidding.)

Yeah, one of my best mates borrows score CDs from me occasionally. Not as big a fan as my dad but he appreciates the art-form nonetheless.

smile
    • CommentAuthorHauntFox
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Arn - Tempelriddaren (The Knight Templar) - Tuomas Kantelinen

Only if I had heard this score in 2007 because it would have easily made my Top 10. This is a pleasant surprise... but I shouldn't really be surprised because I've always enjoyed Kantelinen's work. The choral music in this score is stunning. It's beautiful, free flowing music. There are few action cues that unfortunately break the nice flow of the album but overall this is solid film music from one of film music's rising talents. And the song "Snö Framförd Av Laleh" is achingly beautiful. These are the kinds of songs that I like... the way they perfectly blend into the score and don't sound like some cheap pop tune plopped in over top of the end credits to make a few more bucks. Well done, Tuomas. Looking forward to more of your work! Highly recommended!

-Erik-

Now you've got me curious. Where can I buy this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

I rarely listen to this score. Although it's big and epic, the four note danger motif KILLS the score and the Schindler's List inspired theme is a distraction for me. And there should have been NO MUSIC during the opening battle sequence. This is a great example of over scoring. Less would have been much more... and less Da-Da-Da-Daaaaaa would have helped greatly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

I rarely listen to this score. Although it's big and epic, the four note danger motif KILLS the score and the Schindler's List inspired theme is a distraction for me. And there should have been NO MUSIC during the opening battle sequence. This is a great example of over scoring. Less would have been much more... and less Da-Da-Da-Daaaaaa would have helped greatly.

-Erik-

A very valid point there, I certainly agree about the battle sequence. Some parts of this score work great in the film, it just needed less of it. The four note danger motif doesn't bother me like it does for other people, but I can certainly understand why it bothers people.

The Schindler's List inspired theme is his Balto theme, and although does share the same first few sequence of notes as the first few notes in Schindler's List, it goes off in enough of a different direction for me not to keep thinking "oh, that's Schindler's List".

Great album IMO, especially when you shorten the total running time.
  2. Some beautiful European film music this morning...

NP: The Sea Inside / Il Mar Adentro (Alejandro Amenebar)

Also Yared's Map of the Human Heart, Delerue's A Man in Love, and I might switch to Desplat's The Painted Veil at this point.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am