• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, Signs is the best thing written this decade!

-Erik-

I'd go as far as to say it's the best thing he's ever written, with -- in my opinion -- likely "Unbreakable" second.

The village beats all these, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    What Score I can play to start to read Follet's "the Pillars of the Earth"?

Excellent book......If I remember right it's over 1000 pages!? shocked

I would suggest a combination of John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER and THE LAST VALLEY, both of which would give the right time period feel. In the same kind of vein John Williams MONSIGNOR or Ennio Morricone's HAMLET have just the right kind of sound.

But seeing as it's you Jordi then Zimmer's Da Vinci Code would work very well too! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The Incredible Hulk - Craig Armstrong

Not bad. But harldy original! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Matrix - Don Davis

The trilogy is one of my favourite scores, and this is a great start, with great action and suspense cues! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BhelPuri wrote
    RP: Vladimir Cosma - The Closet/ The Dinner Game/ The Jaguar

Nice Cosma compilation of 3 of his scores. The strongest one here is The Jaguar. The overture for it is one of those melodic, landscape beauties that move you at first listen and make you want to purchase the cd right away. Outstanding! John Barry will be proud cool

Le Jaguar has a really strong theme indeed. Fine score, with some exotic (mainly percussion) elements as well. But don't you find that it's repaeted a little too much. wink

Haven't heard much else of his scores though. What's to advise?
    Kazoo
  1. Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I would suggest a combination of John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER and THE LAST VALLEY, both of which would give the right time period feel.

That was what sprang to my mind, too, but in the end I decided against them, because I think they are a bit too dense. Lion in Winter is okay for some aspects of the book, but The Last Valley, as much as I like it, is a bit over the top for the book, which, BTW, is set 500 years before The Last Valley.

In the same kind of vein John Williams MONSIGNOR or Ennio Morricone's HAMLET have just the right kind of sound.

I don´t know Monsignor, but to Hamlet I certainly agree.

But seeing as it's you Jordi then Zimmer's Da Vinci Code would work very well too! cool

shocked Of course. Idiot >>> Me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Nightcomers - Jerry Fielding

This colourful score doesn't sound anything like I expected, but is great. Jerry Fielding / Michael Winner is one of the most musically-productive composer/director relationships there has been, I would say. Thanks to Intrada for releasing (nearly) all their scores. Just two left, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    Memoirs Of A Geisha John Williams

I haven't listened to this one since around the time it came out. I was never really a fan of this score although I had always appreciated its quality. Returning to it now, I must admit I'm enjoying it a lot more than I remember.
  2. Southall wrote
    The Nightcomers - Jerry Fielding

This colourful score doesn't sound anything like I expected, but is great. Jerry Fielding / Michael Winner is one of the most musically-productive composer/director relationships there has been, I would say. Thanks to Intrada for releasing (nearly) all their scores. Just two left, I think.

I'm looking forward to hearing this. The picture of their work together is slowly adding up to something very impressive. Probably the best creative relationship Fielding had - I enjoy all the Winner scores more than the Peckinpah scores I've heard.

NP: Nought of value.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Galapagos Mark Isham

A "journey score" as Jordi would say. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Film Music of Ron Goodwin Rumon Gamba & The BBC Philharmonic

Excellent music, astounding performances and pitch-perfect recordings. Film music compilations at it's best here!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Excellent music, astounding performances and pitch-perfect recordings. Film music compilations at it's best here!

punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

punk beer

punk punk beer beer

Double Shot!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'd go as far as to say it's the best thing he's ever written.

I agree wholeheartedly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Well, certain excerpts from HGW´s "Kingdom of Heaven" should be fine. You can try Horner´s "The Name of the Rose", but I think Kilar´s "Portrait of a Lady" delivers a very fine atmosphere perfect for the book. "Elizabeth" (Hirschfelder´s score for the first movie with Cate Blanchett) is great, as well, and the score for "The Tudors" should do wonders.

Yeap.I was thinking in the Name of the Rose too. but it is too awful.

But, I think KOH sessions, Elizabeth and flesh and blood are reall great music to read "pilars..".

It is a very religious book? I mean...Perhaps it's The Da vinci Code is to "gregorian" ehehe.

NP:King Arthur( Zimmer)

Pure Zimmer power!

It is a very influential score : batman begins, The da vinci code, AWE and Transformers.

All of them still is one of my favourites, the last 3 minutes reminds me to backdraft conclusing track!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Well, certain excerpts from HGW´s "Kingdom of Heaven" should be fine. You can try Horner´s "The Name of the Rose", but I think Kilar´s "Portrait of a Lady" delivers a very fine atmosphere perfect for the book. "Elizabeth" (Hirschfelder´s score for the first movie with Cate Blanchett) is great, as well, and the score for "The Tudors" should do wonders.

Yeap.I was thinking in the Name of the Rose too. but it is too awful.

But, I think KOH sessions, Elizabeth and flesh and blood are reall great music to read "pilars..".

It is a very religious book? I mean...Perhaps it's The Da vinci Code is to "gregorian" ehehe.

NP:King Arthur( Zimmer)

Pure Zimmer power!

It is a very influential score : batman begins, The da vinci code, AWE and Transformers.

All of them still is one of my favourites, the last 3 minutes reminds me to backdraft conclusing track!

It's NOT a "very religious book" though it obviously has a part to play in a book about 11th Century Cathedral building with loads of drama thrown in.....it also has possibly the most wicked and nasty villain I've ever come across, film or book.

Personally I rarely play music while reading but if you do then Da Vinci Code is great background music, and played low in the background so too will NAME OF THE ROSE work.

Flesh & Blood is too 'in your face' to read to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I agree wholeheartedly.

-Erik-

The Village and Snow Falling are very close, IMHO.

anyway, i can't enter n JNH action mood, I really think the only stuff i enjoy from him is this "shaymalan" thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

Flesh & Blood is too 'in your face' to read to.

Yeap, you are right. cheesy

I need a more background music. I will try with the score you said above.Specially the name of the rose...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I agree wholeheartedly.

-Erik-

anyway, i can't enter n JNH action mood, I really think the only stuff i enjoy from him is this "shaymalan" thing.

Snow Falling on Cedars was one of my absolute JNH favorites, until i discovered Arvo Part's FRATRES FOR STRINGS. No big thingy as everyone does the plagiarism every now and then but it took the magic away.
    The Village and Snow Falling are very close, IMHO.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spiderman 1 - Danny Elfman

Not special, but great fun nonetheless! punk
  3. Having a bit of a "random play" this afternoon:

"A Stimulating Bath" - Diabolique - Randy Edelman
    "Futile Escape" - Outbreak - James Newton Howard
    "Surrender" - A Battle of Wits - Kenji Kawai
    "Final Battle" - Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri
    "La Califfa" - La Califfa - Ennio Morricone
    "Clearing Tobruk" - Medal of Honor: European Assault - Christopher Lennertz
    "A Stranger In Tull" - The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - J.R. Flynn
    "La Educación de Las Hadas" - La Educación de Las Hadas - Lucio Godoy
    "Capri" - The Robe - Alfred Newman
    "La Carta" - El Viaje de Carol - Bingen Mendizabal
    "Driving To Tannis" - Underworld: Evolution - Marco Beltrami
    "Jason and Gabriella" - Blood & Wine - Michal Lorenc
    "Niemozliwa Milosc" - Kto Nigdy Nie Zyl... - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Nothing too energetic in this selection - nice for a quiet Father's Day afternoon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Michel Legrand

Conti scored a better film in the remake but Legrand's score for a not so good film knocks Conti's out of the ball park.....with ease! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

What better way to whet your appetite for Wall-E than this? wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'The Reunion' from A.I. Artificial Intelligence John Williams

One of my favourite pieces of music. Ever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS - John Barry

A glorious work. Gifts of Nature is amongst my all time favourite Barry tracks, truly lovely and aching with poignancy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: WHITE OLEANDER - Thomas Newman

Newman doing what he does best: melancholy. It's far from an original piece of work, but the haunting atmosphere he so effortlessly creates never fails to grab me and touch me inappropriately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Love in the Time of Cholera~ Antonio Pinto
    One of my favourite books turned into a wonderful film. Beautiful score, among my favourites of the previous year.Thanks D. for providing me with it! smile kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Le Jaguar has a really strong theme indeed. Fine score, with some exotic (mainly percussion) elements as well. But don't you find that it's repaeted a little too much. wink

Haven't heard much else of his scores though. What's to advise?

Well, I have the compilation so it was only a few tracks from Jaguar and they were all pretty cool (some cues had a variation on the theme) so it was ok. Yeah, the percussion was the only element to suggest some exotic/ethnic theme.
    However coming from a fan of the Italian scores (which have many stacked up with the same theme repeated over and over) this score was a pleasant ride. wink

I haven't heard much else of Cosma. Those compilations on Cinefonia records are very nice but now that Cinefonia is gone, perhaps you could get this one- http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=6528

Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS - John Barry

A glorious work. Gifts of Nature is amongst my all time favourite Barry tracks, truly lovely and aching with poignancy.

punk
    By far, my favorite Barry album in recent times. One of my desert island picks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    NP: Apollo 13 - James Horner

The 'All Systems Go' / The Launch and Re-Entry & Splashdown cues are utterly magnificent, full of many magical moments. This score is Horner at his absolute best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    The Sea Hawk - Korngold - BBC Philharmonic - Rumon Gamba

I've exhasted just about every other release of the magnificent score (especially the complete Morgan/Stromberg version). So I can enjoy the various differences each album contains.
    This is a fine release. Sure I had to stop myself from thinking things like "bring up the timpani volume" or "speed the tempo up here" or even "hey, where's that part gone?".
    You just have to enjoy it as an edited "concert" arrangement. And a nice one at that!
    The sound is good (like a concert hall? I don't know the technical term ...... Erik?)
    I'm so glad this masterpiece has had so many versions released which is not surprising since it is one of the greatest scores ever written!