• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    Balto James Horner

I absolutely love this score. It is definitely one of my favorite James Horner scores. At times it really sounds sad, but at other times the same themes sound happy and triumphant. Highly recommended.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Enemy At The Gates James Horner

Fecking awesome. Perhaps a little too long, but with some editing it makes a great album!

The first track is simply G-R-E-A-T. Ahh, I want this Horner again.

It is, and 'Betrayel' is even better!

Good film too! Watched it again the other night.

Yep, that's why I've been playing it lately. Very good film, especially the shot of Shasha's hanging dead body, quite a shocking moment.

A no compromising and heartbreaking moment as the kids led away crying.

I would agree that the use of scoring is out of place at times but on the whole it works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Some beautiful European film music this morning...

NP: The Sea Inside / Il Mar Adentro (Alejandro Amenebar)

Also Yared's Map of the Human Heart, Delerue's A Man in Love, and I might switch to Desplat's The Painted Veil at this point.

Agreed, that score is a treat.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fist listen: CRAIG ARMSTRONG - the incredible hulk

The opening 2 titles, the 2nd being the MAIN TITLE are very impressive, raw and aggressive with a distinct Elfman (of HULK, RED DRAGON) quality in them and the same goes for the inferno of " 10. That Is the Target. "

But not long 'till the standard Armstrong dramatisms (enriched with interesting middle-easter percussion vibe) and very intense Powell's BOURNE-isms ("The Flower") take on.

God is POWELL's Bourne effective on everyone or not?!?

The wholly (well, the vast majority at least) orchestral nature is a very pleasant surprise though.

And here comes Armstrong's BATMAN BEGINS on "Give Him Everything You've Got"

I think it's a really generic score. With m, how you are saying a lot of inflluences from other composer and temp tracks.

I like much more Armstrongs kind of music like Moulin Rouge, Love actually or Elizabeth.

NP:Return of the King sessions

With my new mp3-mp4 4gb player!

The music for Shelob (the spider?) is quite impressive. In fact, even if I find this musical trilogy overrated, this score is superb. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fist listen: CRAIG ARMSTRONG - the incredible hulk

The opening 2 titles, the 2nd being the MAIN TITLE are very impressive, raw and aggressive with a distinct Elfman (of HULK, RED DRAGON) quality in them and the same goes for the inferno of " 10. That Is the Target. "

But not long 'till the standard Armstrong dramatisms (enriched with interesting middle-easter percussion vibe) and very intense Powell's BOURNE-isms ("The Flower") take on.

God is POWELL's Bourne effective on everyone or not?!?

The wholly (well, the vast majority at least) orchestral nature is a very pleasant surprise though.

And here comes Armstrong's BATMAN BEGINS on "Give Him Everything You've Got"

I think it's a really generic score. With m, how you are saying a lot of inflluences from other composer and temp tracks.

Pretty much i agree. It's basically on auto pilot with slices of Zimmer (Batman Begins), Lots of Powell everywhere and bits of Elfman (main titles and theme) thrown in the usual Armstrong dramatic writing. Nothing special at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008 edited
    I was playing The Happening, and I can certainly imagine it working brilliantly in the movie even though I haven't seen it. Again, it doesn't make a great album, but it sure is a fine score. I'm still waiting on Erik for that playlist though. wink

Signs James Newton Howard
    GREAT score, GREAT album. Here's to JNH! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I was playing The Happening, and I can certainly imagine it working brilliantly in the movie even though I haven't seen it. Again, it doesn't make a great album, but it sure is a fine score. I'm still waiting on Erik for that playlist though. wink

Signs James Newton Howard
    GREAT score, GREAT album. Here's to JNH! beer

Couldn't agree more, i was playing both yesterday. When are you going to watch the movie Steven? I am curious about how you'll like it. Having let a couple of days passed since i watched, a couple of days of endless THE HAPPENING o.s.t playback loud on kick ass speakers ( ; ) ) i think i like the movie even more now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    What Score I can play to start to read Follet's "the Pillars of the Earth"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRUNO COULAIS - winged migration / travelling birds (Peuple Migrateur)

Gorgeous, absolutely perfect. Big highlight of the score is the Nick Cave song, "To Be by Your Side". Does anyone know if Bruno Coulais had anything to do with it? Orchestration / arrangements perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Gorgeous, absolutely perfect. Big highlight of the score is the Nick Cave song, "To Be by Your Side". Does anyone know if Bruno Coulais had anything to do with it? Orchestration / arrangements perhaps?

Well, the song is based on one of Coulais' main themes for the score. Cave wrote the lyrics I remember, and Coulais orchestrated (although it's not very different).

Beautiful videos on YouTube btw (with the song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LpP31Uk … re=related

The scene with the Great Wall and Mount St Michel is amazing!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, the song is based on one of Coulais' main themes for the score. Cave wrote the lyrics I remember, and Coulais orchestrated (although it's not very different).

Beautiful videos on YouTube btw (with the song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LpP31Uk … re=related

The scene with the Great Wall and Mount St Michel is amazing!

Thanks mate, it sounds very COULAIS indeed.

I have now shifted to La Planete Blanche, breathtaking stuff! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lady In The Water James Newton Howard

I know you'll all think I'm crazy, but this is perhaps my favourite of the M. Night scores. It's not as 'intelligent' as the others, but it's probably the most 'magical' of the lot.

Usually I can't stand it when composers use the kind of chord structure JNH uses for the main theme, a really commonly used set of chords. But there's something about the way he uses them in this score that I love. It's not a very original melody, but the orchestration is very unique and I LOVE it.

I also have a very personal connection with this score for certain reasons too, so I'm biased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Horton Hears A Who John Powell

God help me I do love this score. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote

The suite here at the moment. The cat and dog toys rule!

Played Youth WIthout Youth a couple of times today. I like this one each time more and more, a very romantic and creating an old fashioned feeling. Mostly a warm score with tender moments with the cymbalom. Lovely and adorable, though still serious!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Yes, GOD help you; indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

Played Youth WIthout Youth a couple of times today. I like this one each time more and more, a very romantic and creating an old fashioned feeling. Mostly a warm score with tender moments with the cymbalom. Lovely and adorable, though still serious!

Bregt, i agree. Completely, a very lush and enjoyable listen.

Do you like SEA OF DREAMS (Luis Bacalov) ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    Do you like SEA OF DREAMS (Luis Bacalov) ?

Nope. Same style?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, more laid back and Delerue / Barry like but still very lush and romantic.
  1. "Sea of Dreams": http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=7906
    (sound clips)

"Enemy At the Gates" has the be one of hte most worthless, overrated scores to ever ring in my ears. It got this unbelivable praise from people so I bought it new for like $24.00. Ended up selling it for like $3.00 at a trade shop. Considering Horner's output these passed years, I will never -- NEVER AGAIN -- make a blind buy on a new Horner score. If he lived near by, I'd go knock on his door and ask for my money back.

While checking half my trade collection to see if they are MP3 or not, I decided to give "Monster Squad" one more chance. It failed miserably. So, since it's been officially released, I trashed the bootleg. No need to ever return to this one again in my whole life.
    Broughton has talent, but often times his output is just average, but people praise him like he's the second coming.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    What Score I can play to start to read Follet's "the Pillars of the Earth"?

Well, certain excerpts from HGW´s "Kingdom of Heaven" should be fine. You can try Horner´s "The Name of the Rose", but I think Kilar´s "Portrait of a Lady" delivers a very fine atmosphere perfect for the book. "Elizabeth" (Hirschfelder´s score for the first movie with Cate Blanchett) is great, as well, and the score for "The Tudors" should do wonders.
  3. Steven wrote

You´re not alone. I really, really love this score. The Prologue gives me goosegumps every frakkin´ time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008
    Steven wrote
    I'm still waiting on Erik for that playlist though. wink

What are you talking about? The playlist has been on-line for 2 DAYS now.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … g/#Item_19

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote

You´re not alone. I really, really love this score. The Prologue gives me goosegumps every frakkin´ time.

And for me, it's completely overrated. The only tracks that turn me on are the Prologue and the Finale. The rest is uninspired filler - stuff lifted from previous Shyamalan scores. It really bores me.

BTW, Signs is the best thing written this decade!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes, GOD help you; indeed.

You're very predictable Demetris. wink

Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm still waiting on Erik for that playlist though. wink

What are you talking about? The playlist has been on-line for 2 DAYS now.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … g/#Item_19

-Erik-

Oh didn't realise. Sorry. Thank you.

Edit; in my defense you edited your post, that's why I didn't notice it. biggrin
  4. NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

No mistaking that this is one of his scores!! There's some definite highlights to the score (when something happens in the score) but it mostly just trundles along for an hour.

I'm sure that it's a good example of the talent that the composer has but as for an exciting listen? Not really. Signs is definitely a more worthwhile listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

No mistaking that this is one of his scores!! There's some definite highlights to the score (when something happens in the score) but it mostly just trundles along for an hour.

I'm sure that it's a good example of the talent that the composer has but as for an exciting listen? Not really. Signs is definitely a more worthwhile listen.

Try Erik's playlist, I know I will be. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote

Me too. Easily JNH's best score, but in truth all of his Shyamalan scores are very fine. I think this and The Village stand out at the top, with Signs and The Happening (very, very similar scores) slightly behind them.
  5. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

Try Erik's playlist, I know I will be. smile

I'll give it a go...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    RP: Vladimir Cosma - The Closet/ The Dinner Game/ The Jaguar

Nice Cosma compilation of 3 of his scores. The strongest one here is The Jaguar. The overture for it is one of those melodic, landscape beauties that move you at first listen and make you want to purchase the cd right away. Outstanding! John Barry will be proud cool

The other 2 are quite nice. Simple, playful and jazzy themes rounding up an excellent album!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, Signs is the best thing written this decade!

-Erik-

I'd go as far as to say it's the best thing he's ever written, with -- in my opinion -- likely "Unbreakable" second.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.