• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The concept of a really-existing specific God is slippery on your side, because it's explicitly stated that that God (or his Kingdom) is "out of this world". So it's rather explicitly put that it's NOT part of the external world or, as you prefer, reality. The view that God is ever-present and everywhere is actually regarded as heretic in all Christian denominations.

Mary's virginity, which is NOT equal to immaculate conception (that refers to Mary not being tainted with original sin, not with virgin birth) was a matter of very serious theological discussion which led to a dogmatic acceptance of a folk tale. It wasn't official church dogma until 19th century. I guess the church simply caved in to popular belief. I can speak only of Catholic faith, there are certain controversies about the nature of Christ that I am not fully aware of in Protestantism.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. It's never explicitly stated that Mary is/was a virgin when she gave a birth to baby Jesus in the Bible, as far as I remember.
  3. Steven wrote

Again, slippery word game Pawel. Christianity at its core is about taking on faith the belief that a specific God really does exist and impregnated a virgin who really did then give birth to His only son. This is not merely a statement about one's mental state, it is implicitly a statement about reality and the external world. And it is an unjustifiable statement by its very definition, and therefore an unjustifiable belief, no matter how you view faith.

This is what I mean. Simple. Easy to understand. Written clearly.

I agree. That doesn't mean though, that nothing but the material world exists.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2014
    Living in a material world
    And I am a material girl
    You know that we are living in a material world
    And I am a material girl
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There is no political solution
    To our troubled evolution
    Have no faith in constitution
    There is no bloody revolution

We are spirits in the material world
    (Are spirits in the material world
    Are spirits in the material world
    Are spirits in the material world)

Our socalled leaders speak
    With words they try to jail you
    The subjugate the meek
    But it's the rhetoric of failure

(Are spirits in the material world
    Are spirits in the material world
    Are spirits in the material world)

Where does the answer lie?
    Living from day to day
    If it's something we can't buy
    There must be another way

(Are spirits in the material world)

(Are spirits in the material world...)
    [repeat/fade]
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sting.

What a twonk!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The concept of a really-existing specific God is slippery on your side, because it's explicitly stated that that God (or his Kingdom) is "out of this world". So it's rather explicitly put that it's NOT part of the external world or, as you prefer, reality. The view that God is ever-present and everywhere is actually regarded as heretic in all Christian denominations.

Well if you insist on moving the goal posts, there's not much common ground we can find. rolleyes
  4. Not really moving the goal posts, but pointing out the way things are. I am not really sure how God influences reality, which seems to be one of the core elements, but definitely the belief that he is *omnipresent* in the physical realm is regarded as heretic and very much frowned upon. Christianity is most decidedly not pantheist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So if I was to walk into a Catholic Church and asked does God intervene in this reality, the answer would be no? Really? uhm

Also, whether he is outside of this reality or not is beside the point. The belief in the Christian God still implicitly makes a statement about his existence, regardless of which weak cop out argument you use. Unless, of course, it is merely a hope.
  5. On the other side of the long paragraphs, you will come to Bizarro world.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Sting.

What a twonk!

I gather his tantric love making was a bit like his song writing: banging on for hours without really going anywhere.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Steven wrote
    So if I was to walk into a Catholic Church and asked does God intervene in this reality, the answer would be no? Really? uhm

Also, whether he is outside of this reality or not is beside the point. The belief in the Christian God still implicitly makes a statement about his existence, regardless of which weak cop out argument you use. Unless, of course, it is merely a hope.

The intervention is believed in, but I don't really know how is it supposed to happen. He's not present in the real world, because that would indicate pantheism. It is of course a form of hope, though there are people claiming they are proof of His ability to intervene.

The psychology of faith is an interesting one, that's for sure.
  7. Faith is not a question of reason. You either feel a permanent counterpart or you don't. It's neither a strengh nor a weakness. The disposition for faith is there or it is not. That gab between believers and non-believers can never be bridged.
    Reason may transform your need for faith. Reason tells me there is no beeing like the God of Christian doctrine. That doesn't end my longing to find purpose in the fabrics of being.

Volker
  8. Yeah, though I think that faith and belief are closer than they are. Because what I call the definition of the world is not necessarily something based on reason, it's mostly an emotional pre-conception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2014
    Remember that overly pc talk we had about Muslims the other day ? Well , fuck.http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-26404566 and before you get all pc on me again see this first but be warned on the cruel content in this link http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=290_1393687533

Yes tender people they are deep down.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2014 edited
    Single acts of terrorism -- however cruel they might be -- will not sway me towards making sweeping generalizations about an entire religion and its practitioners. It will only lead me to condemn the act, in particular, and the extremists who commit it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes. Because those are very rare. Have you seen the 2nd graphic link I posted ? Here's another act of tenderness from yesterday http://mobile.news.com.au/world/mans-ha … 6842842191
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I certainly agree that the acts are horrible and utterly condemnable. No question there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Single acts of terrorism -- however cruel they might be -- will not sway me towards making sweeping generalizations about an entire religion and its practitioners. It will only lead me to condemn the act, in particular, and the extremists who commit it.

Quite right. Though it should at least give you pause as to where this behaviour stems from. It's certainly not a "sweeping generalisation" to observe the danger that Islam presents to the world, because it doesn't take a particularly extreme reading of the Quran to justify these acts of violence. (Though it does take an extreme mind to act on them.)

"Islamaphobia" seems to be the new anti-semitism, and it's an ironically apt word intended to shame those who dare criticise Islam. We should be scared of Islam, it's a scary practise. In that sense, I freely admit to being an Islamaphobe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not going down this road again.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote

While I won't make sweeping generalizations about the practitioners, I certainly don't think it's out of bounds to question whether a religious ideology can and has had a harmful influence. So while I'd never say "All Muslims are terrorists" or "All Muslims are sexist", I wouldn't hesitate to say that "Islam encourages terrorism" or "Islam demands sexist behavior". Both of those are written into the very core of that belief, and given that, I find it a particularly difficult religion to accept in a modern-day society.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I'm not going down this road again.

You've admitted defeat, that's the first step. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    tongue
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    We accept your Tibetan sign of friendliness.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    In that sense, I freely admit to being an Islamaphobe.

A phobia is defined as an irrational fear though. I'd describe my attitude towards Islam as a rational concern. We should invent a word for that.

Peter smile
  10. There is a rational concern about the Islamic behavior, but on the other hand using straw man-type arguments against a whole group of people is also uncalled for. There are moderate Muslims, not everyone there is a war-mongering terrorist. Also, I wouldn't really always believe Chinese government, so I'd like more proof than just blaming the knife attack on separatists, please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a rational concern about the Islamic behavior, but on the other hand using straw man-type arguments against a whole group of people is also uncalled for.

That's not on the other hand, it's on the same hand. Having rational concerns and avoiding sweeping generalizations and fallacious arguments are part of the same thing.

Peter smile
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a rational concern about the Islamic behavior, but on the other hand using straw man-type arguments against a whole group of people is also uncalled for.

I'm not arguing against the group. I've got nothing against Muslims. I've got everything against Islam, the ideology, however.
  12. That's a bit unclear what you say. I think we're treading on rather dangerous ground if we call a religious belief system ideology, as it would be if we called any kind of a philosophical system ideology. eE

Obviously, Islam has a largely political stance, as any religion creating a system of laws does, but still. If we don't look at things like Jihad for what they were in the historical context (as I said, it's originally a defensive war, not offensive, and the concept stems from the fact that Islam believers actually had to defend themselves (and ultimately prevail) from local tribes back in 7th Century.

We also tend to look with contempt at the meaning of the word Islam itself - submission. But that's the element of any religion, the submission to the Will of the deity we choose (happen?) to believe in.

All I am saying here is that we are simplifying a very complex problem, which is true to any debate regarding religion. As long as we stick to our positions, which are clearly defined already, there will be no sensible discussion. No need to getting fortified anymore. That has happened long before us anyway.
  13. I have nothing against certain people, but I am totally opposed to their religion? confused Religion is a central aspect of most people's identity, or is it not?

My experiance as a teacher is that the islamic community is as complex as any given religious community. There are moderate people who have no problem whatsover to integrate their religious believes and practise into modern society, there are hardliners who see themselves surrouded by enemies. And there are those who call themselves Muslimes without having been to a mosque for the last ten years.

Volker