• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    Let's talk Nyman.

First of all I really like his scores for Peter Greenaway films. Greenaway, who lives in the Netherlands, made a lot of British/Dutch co-production. Some of his films were almost entirely filmed in the Netherlands, like A Zed & Two Noughts which mostly plays in the Rotterdam zoo called Blijdorp. Like we all know, with a co-production people from all the involved countries get to work on the film. That can be setdressers or whatever. A Zed & Two Noughts was a really special score, and for a good reason. Normally Nyman would use his Nyman Band to perform the score, but instead this one was entirely performed by Dutch musicians!
  1. Has anyone heard Man on Wire? (here)

I have very limited exposure to Mr. Nyman. I like The Piano, but haven't heard anything else by him (yes, including Gattaca. shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Has anyone heard Man on Wire? (here)

I have very limited exposure to Mr. Nyman. I like The Piano, but haven't heard anything else by him (yes, including Gattaca. shame )

Gattaca is a must-have,as are his Winterbottom (The Claim etc) and Greenaway scores. There's also a good compilation of his film music out there.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Has anyone heard Man on Wire? (here)

Gattaca is a must-have,as are his Winterbottom (The Claim etc) and Greenaway scores. There's also a good compilation of his film music out there.

It's a 2 CD set and it's excellent.

IMO though nothing in his film repetoire comes close to his piece MGV ( written for the French high speed train ) and his album The Kiss ( And Other Movements ) which is still a highly played album in my collection.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. MAN ON WIRE plays like a Nyman compilation, since (except for the newly-composed cues from another composer) that's what it is: a mixture of cues for his scores (mostly from the Greenaway-era).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    MAN ON WIRE

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Wire-Soundtra … mp;s=music

So, Michael, is it worth it? (yes, i did read your post above smile )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009 edited
    Podcast interview with Nyman
    Jason meets award-winning composer Michael Nyman in his London studio, where he reveals how his best-known film score – for Jane Campion's The Piano – damaged his career, and explains why his new commission for the Kinoteka Polish film festival takes him back to his roots. The Michael Nyman Band performs with Polish accordion group Motion Trio on Wednesday 8 April at the Barbican

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/audio/20 … hat-rocked
  3. lol

When I've read Jason, I thought of another Friday the 13th movie. And I haven't seen ANY of them. I should get my head checked bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    When I've read Jason, I thought of another Friday the 13th movie. And I haven't seen ANY of them.

You haven´t?! shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. Nope, I generally dislike horrors except The Omen, Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Ring. I avoid slashers with a vengeance. The only I am REALLY interested in is the first Scream.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nope, I generally dislike horrors except The Omen, Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Ring. I avoid slashers with a vengeance. The only I am REALLY interested in is the first Scream.

Actually the only horror films of the franchise were the first three movies. The rest of the saga is as derivative as it can be. Scream was a great homage to this kind of films indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The Piano damaged his career? confused rolleyes slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jason and Friday the 13th make me laugh my ass off. Btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jason and Friday the 13th make me laugh my ass off. Btw.

Me too.
  5. Bregt wrote

Maybe he means that his classical colleagues started to view him as a bit of a soft classical romantic after PIANO?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

Maybe he means that his classical colleagues started to view him as a bit of a soft classical romantic after PIANO?

And his music was starting to fall into the danger of NOT sounding 21st century-ish enough, or atonal / dissonant / 12-tone enough and therefore not serious and unworthy to his serious academic colleagues?? rolleyes
  6. Well, the Greenaway scores had a certain balance of emotion and structure which was very distinctive. He probably feels his film work departed from structural considerations in favour of pure emotion with THE PIANO. It's his own opinion - he's neither right nor wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    Anyone familiar with and can comment on The Ogre (Der Unhold) | Michael Nyman (1996) ? wave
  7. Not a fan. I can't remember why. It went into the box. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009
    I want to buy some new Nyman scores/music, but I have the 'usual stuff' already, and have no idea where to go now.

I thought of After Extra Time. But what other cd's have the quirky Nyman, and are really good? Like Draughtmans Contracts for example. His catalogue is so vast, I've no idea where to start now. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009 edited
    I'm not that knowledgeable about Nyman's large discography but my list of his work all has it's attractions:

Carrington
    The Claim
    The Draughtman's Contract
    The End of The Affair
    Gattaca
    The Libertine
    The Piano
    Wonderland

And a compilation on the Argo label - "The Essential Michael Nyman Band" is a good selection of some of his older (Greenaway) stuff:
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How is Wonderland, haven't heard that one? Is it more his emotional side, or the quirky Nyman?
    Kazoo
  8. Bregt wrote
    How is Wonderland, haven't heard that one? Is it more his emotional side, or the quirky Nyman?

"Unfortunately" it's an emotional one rather than the quirkiness you are looking for.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A very beautiful emotional ride, thank God. Nyman's quirkiness is too much for me.
  9. I only heard The Piano from him, but liked it very much
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011
    WTF

Peter uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kinda sad that there hasn't been any activity in this thread for almost 2 years (not that I've contributed either). Michael Nyman is the composer of "The piano", "Gattaca", "The claim" and he has one of the most unique voices in the industry, so he certainly deserves some attention.

He hasn't produced anything worth discussing lately?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, he mainly returned to his classical music in the past couple of years, which might be the reason he isn't discussed here. Lastthing I heard of his was the rerelease of MVG / The Piano Concerto, which are both very interesting and recommended if you like his more die-hard minimalism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011
    I will have to research that one, thanks.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011 edited
    MGV ( not MVG ) is BRILLIANT! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt