• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    You know more than I! I've found MMM's downloads to be just fine. Anyway, doing it both ways for a period of time makes sense to me. You can still make the CD available just at a premium price.

A short while ago I went to Radio Shack looking for some tape for my olympus micro cassette recorder and was shocked at the price of a 3 pack ($11.00 I think). I re-thought and just bought a digital recorder for another $10.00. Make people who want to hang on to the old technology pay a premium.

I could live with the downloads as I don't care about the value of my collection. I'm only interested in listening.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    tjguitar wrote
    How are they going to download the music for free if nobody releases the CDs to be ripped from?

Nobody's going to PAY for downloads and then LEAK it for everyone else. Well, maybe they would, just seems like it would go against the principle of those actually paying for it, lol. maybe not. maybe people woudl team up and go halvsies and split the bill or something. wink

People leak scores, weather they're released on disc or as mp3 download. That was the tiny litle thing I commented on.

You can have a certain release on mp3, but unfortunately not on cd. People who don't like paying for mp3's get it from someone who has uploaded it for free. Done deal. People leak scores, weather they're released on disc or as mp3 download. That was the tiny litle thing I commented on. Pointless to go on wink Well except on the bit that I think this is of influence.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    You know more than I! I've found MMM's downloads to be just fine. Anyway, doing it both ways for a period of time makes sense to me. You can still make the CD available just at a premium price.

The CDs already are a at a 'premium price'. To jack them up more is screwing the customers. Downloads at $12.50? Thats only a few bucks less than a normal CD release discounted at the various shops. Jacking up the the prices of CDs isnt the answer. I dunno. Just my opinion.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    People who don't like paying for mp3's get it from someone who has uploaded it for free. Done deal.

Its all wild speculation, really. People who don't like paying for CDs can still get them from someone who has burned it for free. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I was kinda skimming through this and I noticed a comment about why I left, I still monitor over there but I probably wont post for awhile, some VERY Hurtful things were said and Im still bothered by it , alittle.
    I still cant believe the thread over there hasn't been locked yet. Past 200 post, GEESH!!
    Anyway the FSM board is still my home , I started there, but I LIKE YOU GUYS MUCH BETTER.

Peace smile want to sing a round of , Ide like to teach the world to sing.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    and just for the record, I , im my life time have probably put more money into the music industry then my fair share, and still do.
    I buy Intrada cds, FSM/SAE cds, LaLaLand cds (just ordered Re-Animator) , I download from itunes all the time, and from Movie Score Media, and amazon, and Wal-Mart.
    Ask my wife and look at my bank account.
    I have now bought 4 of those Mercenaries 2 boxes with the FREE score.
    I buy collectible cds with different covers, ie the Star Wars Attack of the Clones.

not that I felt like I had to say all this here, I just wanted too.

sd smile

sorry I dont mean to sound like Im dumping but I like a little bit of a support group too, that is just about non exsistant at that other board.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    I bought Nicholas Dodd's "Treasured Island" from MMM blindly based on those preview samples. And I was VERY dissapointed. The whole score is barely anything indicated by the "main title" sample.

And since then, I have sworn not to spend any hard-earned $10 on an album unless I have heard the whole album in full. I say NO to those misleading preview samples.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Oh really I thought Nic Dodds score was quite good myself.

but of course......................................

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    TJ the point of the higher price stems from a smaller amount being pressed. The idea is to get people to download rather than buy the CD. Make a copy of your download along with the booklet and you have a copy to hold. Get use to the downloads. CD's are slowly going to disappear like 8-Track tapes.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I just don't buy that CDs are going the way of 8-tracks. CDs are perfectly fine. Shoot, there's still a group of collectors (maybe in other musical genres, albeit) that are funding the continual pressings of VINYL LP's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoy212
    Let's say.....

I just bought for $2, an original CD of Goldsmith's "In Harm's Way", that I found mixed in with a bunch of rock & rap CD's at a yard sale. I told my score collector friends about it via an e-mail. In this e-mail I told them that I have just ripped the CD into FLAC files. I am now going to upload the score to a location that is private and I tell them where it can be downloaded.

If you were one of the recipiants of my e-mail, would you download the score? If you don't already have the score in your collection, I bet just about everyone would download the score. If for no other reason, just out of curosity.

Is it illegal? The CD is long out of print and was only available for a short time in Japan. Were the customary royalites paid when the CD was first released? Who knows. Did Jerry Goldsmith get anything for his efforts? Probably not much. Is this stealing?

To some it would be a dream come true. In all honesty, I would jump at the chance just to hear what the score was really like since there's no way in hell I could ever come up with the amount of money necessary to purchase this score now. If I could purchase the score there would not be any royalties paid to anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You can bet on the fact that they will be gone for the most part. I don't know if you recalled the difficulty that I had in getting a decent quality cassette recorder that worked and could be tuned up with the proper belts etc. 5 units before I scored with a winner. 20 years from now TJ CD players won't be so easy to come by. VHS tape players can be had but mostly in dual units. The secondary market will thrive for a time but eventually dwindle too. Keep in mind that in my lifetime I've gone from 78's to 45's and LP's to reel to reel to cassette with all sorts of noise reduction systems to CD's to downloads. A lot of changes in 60 years. Yes VHS tapes are still around but movies today aren't offered on new releases anymore. And they're already tweaking the DVD format with Blu Ray etc.

Turntables are great too as long as you have a high quality cartridge ie until you want a stylus. Try $150.00. If you don't replace it you might as well use sandpaper on the vinyl! It's really a non existent market. I think some of the younger generation considers it retro of a sort but the equipment they use is pretty low quality.

I liken CD's to film for a camera. I personally never thought I would see the day when digital would takeover. Oh its not complete but pretty close to complete takeover save a few younger generation who want to learn how to do it the old way and older people whose mind won't be changed.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

Finally closed

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    retract

sd smile

Ive been intouch with Lukas and hes trying to help me, Its not his fault.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote
    Lukas finally closed it per my request, hes still a wuss , if he had the balls he would ban those idiots.

sd smile

Be nice, Moonie. It's not Lukas' fault. He has a moderator who wasn't doing his job. Lukas shouldn't have to worry about the message board when he has better things to do.

BTW, what ever happened to leaving FSM alone and moving on?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Your right , but it still bugs me.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    I just had my button pushed for a moment or two when words were said that I hated Time After Time (the film itself not the music) when in reality my comment was it was just an ordinary film.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Never saw it but I liked the music, not one of Rozsa's best but a nice score just the same.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said Moonie it was just an average film with a good Rozsa score one of his last. And while David Warner as Jack the Ripper gave an excellent performance it couldn't save the film.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    as with most golden age stuff, never seen or heard of the film, but I like what I've heard of the score (on various Label X compilations)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    as with most golden age stuff, never seen or heard of the film, but I like what I've heard of the score (on various Label X compilations)

Funny thing is... Time After Time isn't Golden Age. Rozsa wrote it in 1979. tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It does have a golden age sound albiet silver age
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote
    retract

sd smile

Be nice, Moonie. It's not Lukas' fault. He has a moderator who wasn't doing his job. Lukas shouldn't have to worry about the message board when he has better things to do.

BTW, what ever happened to leaving FSM alone and moving on?

-Erik-
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods wrote
    tjguitar wrote

Funny thing is... Time After Time isn't Golden Age. Rozsa wrote it in 1979. tongue

-Erik-

Hell, I haven't seen most Silver Age either.