• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    NP : ENDURING LOVE - Jeremy Sams

A lovely score that draws it's sources from Vaughan Williams and Bernard Herrmann. Very enjoyable!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p. STEVE JABLONSKY - D-war

Although pointless to ask, still: no love for this one?

Are you kidding? I love it! punk

Although TRANSFORMERS redux basically

Yeah, actually it´s like he did both at the same time (well D-War being the rejected stuff from Transformers). I have to say I enjoyed the movie, and the score worked really good, the final battle sequence is nicely scored.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Artistic Transformations - Vince DiCola

I love this album. I love the crisp sound of the music and the themes are great. Some parts remind me of Dave Grusin's work on The Firm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christopher Columbus: The Discovery - Cliff Eidelman

Haven't listened to this one for years. Very good album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008 edited
    Southall wrote

Seen the film James? It's got titties in it! cheesy cool

yeah i'm sad i know rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I did see it. Fair to say it's not one of the greatest films of all time.

I wonder what Demetris made of the titties.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I did see it. Fair to say it's not one of the greatest films of all time.

Crap film, great tits!?

that's my verdict wink
  1. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kinda like THE HUMAN STAIN or THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE then?

Maybe more like Oliver Twist.

I hated HATED HATED HATED HATED The Manchurian Candidate. Haven't heard The Human Stain.

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is a great score. shocked Admittedly, I may be swayed by how well it works in the film, but it's a 30 minute block of music I return to often. (I don't play the Amram score much.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : ENDURING LOVE - Jeremy Sams

A lovely score that draws it's sources from Vaughan Williams and Bernard Herrmann. Very enjoyable!

I have never been able to hear the Herrmann in this score. Herrmann didn't write passacaghlias and borderline atonal music, for the most part. There was a piece by Britten I once heard which this score's darker material sounded a lot closer to.

NP: The Dark Knight (Zimmer / Newton Howard)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

Balloon animals, if memory serves.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kinda like THE HUMAN STAIN or THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE then?

Maybe more like Oliver Twist.

I hated HATED HATED HATED HATED The Manchurian Candidate. Haven't heard The Human Stain.

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is a great score. shocked Admittedly, I may be swayed by how well it works in the film, but it's a 30 minute block of music I return to often. (I don't play the Amram score much.)

I too found it way better than the original score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    YOKO KANNO - Wolf's rain O.S.T 2

Stunningly lyrical orchestral beauty.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p. STEVE JABLONSKY - D-war

Although pointless to ask, still: no love for this one?

Are you kidding? I love it! punk

Although TRANSFORMERS redux basically, it's lots of fun indeed.

Love the Dies Irae references peppering D-War.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Rocky - Bill Conti

I've didn't actually have this score until I downloaded a few "highlights" tracks for my mp3 player.
    punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Rocky - Bill Conti

I've didn't actually have this score until I downloaded a few "highlights" tracks for my mp3 player.
    punk

It's a fantastic score! The best Sport score EVER written! punk

If anyone has any other suggestions they think are better well, yer just plain wrong....FACT!
  5. Best sport score ever written? I'm not going to get many votes for my favourite (COBB), that's for sure. wink

NP: Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

Really nice score from Holdridge. Some beautiful themes and appealing use of celtic instrumentation (normally an instant fail with me).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Best sport score ever written? I'm not going to get many votes for my favourite (COBB), that's for sure. wink

NP: Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

Really nice score from Holdridge. Some beautiful themes and appealing use of celtic instrumentation (normally an instant fail with me).

COBB? You can stick that and as many more a you can name, stick em all together and ROCKY still kicks they're asses big time!

p.s. I really like the score to 'Avalon', I realy should dig that one out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Well, you can't really compare an epic approach with something more intimate. But that's also the difference in both the movies. But it's a good score indeed. It still seems to be available at Amazon UK.

I think you can compare, and rather favourably for the Einaudi score. wink

Blasphemer!

Anyways... Einaudi is good in small doses. There's not too much in development in his scores and perhaps Zhivago is his most accessible work (although I prefer Sotto Falso Nome)
  6. I agree, Einaudi can run a bit thin. I once bought one of his solo albums, and have always had trouble getting through it. I do think some of his ZHIVAGO stuff sees him at his best however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    NP:Godzilla (Arnold)

I love the little motif with bells (Xylophone?????) . Very mysterious.

When you are in Arnold mood, with all his metals, it's a fantastic score (even with Speed theme there).

Probably more complete than Stargate or Independece Day, but for some reason (probably the thematic thing) I prefer both scores before GodZilla. Anyway, Emmerich/Arnold trilogy is fantastic.

I will play:The Lost World

Another fantastic score by the Old man. ( He is running up, from hate to love in my personal list).

"San Diego..." is a punk really it is!!!! And "the Hunt"....and "Rescuing Sarah"....I love this tribal drums! and the "adventure" theme!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

Another fantastic score by the Old man. ( He is running up, from hate to love in my personal list).

Hate!? How? shocked
  7. NP: River´s Run - Murray Gold

That track from Doctor Who really, really gets me every time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcGSnYa9vE
  8. NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

Fantastic music and GREAT main theme! punk
    I love it. cool
  9. Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Hate!? How? shocked

Zimmer fans often hate Williams's scores as is the most often opposite case. That said, I never had it, but yes, it happens quite often, with Zimmer fans being more open towards works like AI, Amistad or Memoirs of a Geisha than say, Empire Strikes Back or, indeed, Raiders.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

I love it. cool

Possibly the best movie theme ever written?

It's one of the all time great film scores and definitely in my own top 10 of all time. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Hate!? How? shocked

Love & Hate are two sides of the same coin to Jordi cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Hate!? How? shocked

Zimmer fans often hate Williams's scores as is the most often opposite case. That said, I never had it, but yes, it happens quite often, with Zimmer fans being more open towards works like AI, Amistad or Memoirs of a Geisha than say, Empire Strikes Back or, indeed, Raiders.

And why is your explanation I like Goldsmith or Herrman?
  10. Zimmer fans like Herrmann for two reasons - first, Zimmer was always very positive about him. The other reason is that Da Vinci Code has Herrmannesque action music at times.

Goldsmith, with notable exceptions, is probably the most liked composer by the genre - he's loved by Zimmer. Newman, Williams fans. Morricone fans too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

I love it. cool

Possibly the best movie theme ever written?

It's one of the all time great film scores and definitely in my own top 10 of all time. cool

It's up there for me, too. Not a personal Top Ten but one of the all time greatest. And yes, WHAT. A. THEME. And all the other themes, too. I' think I might listen to this one later... but before I do that... something that I've been meaning to play for 2 years now awaits me...

THE ELMER BERNSTEIN FILM MUSIC COLLECTION

Oh baby! Beginning disc 1 now...

NP: Helen of Troy - Max Steiner

Lovely opening theme. This is the first time I've heard this score. The recording is a little weak and thin. Not as POWERFUL as I would have imagined it. It's definitely not up there with the brilliant sound of the Gerhardt discs.

BTW, for those that don't own this collection may I suggest you save up your pennies and purchase it ASAP. This, along with Charles Gerhardt's recordings, are the best introductions to Golden Age scores that you will ever find. And the 136 page booklet is something truly special. What a fascinating read. To read that Bernstein put up to $60,000 annually into the project from 1974-1979 only to have a small percentage of his albums sell says a lot about the man and his love for film music. Bernstein unfortunately underestimated the size of the world wide hard core film music community as being 20,000 strong. When it came down to sell his albums (via mail order only) he pressed only 2,500 copies and sold between 1,400 and 1,800 of each title. By the time 1979 rolled around Bernstein couldn't afford to keep the series afloat and decided to focus his attention on his own career.

Bernstein was an advocate for the preservation of film music, especially the Golden Age classics, and we as film music fans owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Bernstein for heading up one of the finest collections of film music ever assembled. And a big thanks to FSM for saving these wonderful recordings and preserving them on CD for people like me to discover for the very first time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Godzilla (Arnold)

I love the little motif with bells (Xylophone?????) . Very mysterious.

When you are in Arnold mood, with all his metals, it's a fantastic score (even with Speed theme there).

It's not the Speed theme Jordi, it's more influenced by John Barry (this is Arnold remember?). The Speed theme uses such a regular set of chords that it's not hard to inadvertedly 'copy' it. So there, get over it.