• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    I'm not familiar with Helen Of Troy but I'll look forward to reviews for the rest of the discs Erik.

NP : KRULL - James Horner ( CD 1 )

Big, fresh and seriously kicking ass! This easily goes into my personal top 20 scores ever written, by this I mean as a CD listening experience not as pure film score. As an example, Goldsmith's Planet of The Apes wouldn't make my top 50 but as a score for film it's one of the very best ever written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Godzilla (Arnold)

I love the little motif with bells (Xylophone?????) . Very mysterious.

When you are in Arnold mood, with all his metals, it's a fantastic score (even with Speed theme there).

It's not the Speed theme Jordi, it's more influenced by John Barry (this is Arnold remember?). The Speed theme uses such a regular set of chords that it's not hard to inadvertedly 'copy' it. So there, get over it.

Yeah...Speed...in Godzilla? Where?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The big sort of heroic, majestic theme for Godzilla is what Jordi is referring to I think. I can see what he means, but he needs to understand it's not necessarily (and probably not) a copy of the Speed theme. Also, it doesn't really sound that much like the Speed theme anyway.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ok, I can't even bring to mind what the Godzilla theme is like right now...err...

I'll take your word for it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's first heard in the track before 'The First Copter Chase' (or whatever it's called, I don't have my laptop with me).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's first heard in the track before 'The First Copter Chase' (or whatever it's called, I don't have my laptop with me).

...And you've just answered my question from NP Off Topic smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Which was? (I never check that thread!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Compare Speed to Godzilla HERE

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Which was? (I never check that thread!)

NOSY! tongue ( find out yerself )

Why don't you ever check out NP Off Topic?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

Because I never listen to enough non-film music to bring my self to post about it. And whenever I listen to TV scores, 90% of the time I'm posting about them here or in the Lost thread. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Because I never listen to enough non-film music to bring my self to post about it. And whenever I listen to TV scores, 90% of the time I'm posting about them here or in the Lost thread. tongue

Well, this thread IS the correct place to NP scores for TV, not Off Topic.

You can learn much from NP Off Topic.... I certainly do! Just because you don't post much there doesn't mean you don't have to check it out? I try to keep up with all the threads here whether I'm interested in them or not, even the LOST thread, a TV show I care very little for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I'm not familiar with Helen Of Troy but I'll look forward to reviews for the rest of the discs Erik.

Big, fresh and seriously kicking ass! This easily goes into my personal top 20 scores ever written, by this I mean as a CD listening experience not as pure film score. As an example, Goldsmith's Planet of The Apes wouldn't make my top 50 but as a score for film it's one of the very best ever written.

NP : KRULL - James Horner ( CD 2 )

The better half of the two discs containing the creepily awesome The Widow's Web and The Widow's Lullaby, creepy, mystical and powerful. The excellent, exhilarating Ride Of The Firemares and the tour-de-force of The Death of The Beast and The Destruction of The Black Fortress, very rarely do fantasy scores get bigger, more melodic, or better than this.
  1. NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

I hope that this one will be indeed Tadlow's next big re-recording project. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

I hope that this one will be indeed Tadlow's next big re-recording project. punk

Which version are you playing now Stefan?
  2. Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

The original soundtrack recording by Jarre himself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Do you have the Silva re-recording conducted by Tony Bremner and the Philharmonia Orchestra?
  3. Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Do you have the Silva re-recording conducted by Tony Bremner and the Philharmonia Orchestra?

No, I didn't really like the sound clips from this recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Speed
    Erik Woods wrote
    Compare Speed to Godzilla HERE

-Erik-

"Guess Who is comming to Dinner"

"2:44" , if this is not Speed theme then sure it's not barry either.

NP:The Lost World (Williams)

Addicted to "Visitors in sandiego" beer beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Fair nuff! This is the version I'm used to now and I like it a lot.

I have the original on LP I guess I should pick it up on CD? I often see it cheap.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Fair nuff! This is the version I'm used to now and I like it a lot.

I have the original on LP I guess I should pick it up on CD? I often see it cheap.

The problem with the original recording is that the sound quality isn't very good, even for a 1962 movie. So there's only a bad sounding version I like and a good sounding I don't like. I hope the Tadlow re-recording will be the definitive edition of this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

The better half of the two discs containing the creepily awesome The Widow's Web and The Widow's Lullaby, creepy, mystical and powerful. The excellent, exhilarating Ride Of The Firemares and the tour-de-force of The Death of The Beast and The Destruction of The Black Fortress, very rarely do fantasy scores get bigger, more melodic, or better than this.

After that epic ride I need something a bit more refined!? But still staying with Horner....

NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

This is a great score and either underrated, not talked about, or just that not many people here have it? Either way I like it a lot and it has early touches of his 'A Beautiful Mind' sound a touch of Vaughan Williams plus trade mark Horner piano crashes cool
  5. It's out of print, but still an amazing work from Horner.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Rocky - Bill Conti

I've didn't actually have this score until I downloaded a few "highlights" tracks for my mp3 player.
    punk

I personally find Rocky II much better, more variety, more action, more goosebums smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's out of print, but still an amazing work from Horner.

Sometimes it's great to be old enough to have bought certain scores when they were originally released cool

p.s. Stefan wave

I now remember why I never bothered getting Laurence of Arabia on CD, you're so right, the sound is awful! slant
  7. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

After that epic ride I need something a bit more refined!? But still staying with Horner....

This is a great score and either underrated, not talked about, or just that not many people here have it? Either way I like it a lot and it has early touches of his 'A Beautiful Mind' sound a touch of Vaughan Williams plus trade mark Horner piano crashes cool

Totally agree on both Krull and Sneakers: on the opposite side of the Horner-spectrum but Sneakers has some magical moments, and Krull, well that's just Horner magic from beginning to end. The two widow tracks are mindblowing and the whole climax is insane in its buildup, I read the LSO gave the composer a standing ovation after recording the score, I can only agree with their decision punk punk Krull is his very own 'Empire Strikes Back'.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. NP*: The Mission - Ennio Morricone

Another classic. cool

*inspired by Southall's review
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Totally agree on both Krull and Sneakers: on the opposite side of the Horner-spectrum but Sneakers has some magical moments, and Krull, well that's just Horner magic from beginning to end. The two widow tracks are mindblowing and the whole climax is insane in its buildup, I read the LSO gave the composer a standing ovation after recording the score, I can only agree with their decision punk punk Krull is his very own 'Empire Strikes Back'.

M'man Gilles beer cool

NP : FOUR IN THE MORNING - John Barry

An interesting curiosity amongst Barry's scores. Written in the early 60's starring a young Judi Dench ( can't get away from the Bond links eh!? wink ) with only 9 musicians, Barry did this score for free. An interesting but dour little score that I doubt I'll return to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHAPLIN - John Barry

A lovely, poignant and subtle score, Barry also incorporates Chaplin's classic Smile into the score. Top rate, it's been too long since I've played this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE...Elmer Bernstein

If you like the west coast jazz sound (cool) with a little mixture of Alex North thrown in you'll like it.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fly Me to the Moon - Ramin Djawadi

Pretty standard RC animated score, but it's got a nice heart and is very pleasant.