• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008
    I loved the ending of the movie. Do you think Lucas came up with the idea of Mutt putting on the hat, to which Spielberg replied "yeah, that's a good idea.. OR, right, here's a better idea...". biggrin (Or perhaps it was Ford's idea? Wouldn't be the first time he improved something George came up with ala carbon freezing.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    I loved the ending of the movie. Do you think Lucas came up with the idea of Mutt putting on the hat, to which Spielberg replied "yeah, that's a good idea.. OR, right, here's a better idea...". biggrin (Or perhaps it was Ford's idea? Wouldn't be the first time he improved something George came up with ala carbon freezing.)

I really liked how Ford grabbed it last-minute from his son's hands. Cause you know what? If Mutt actually wore it, that would mean LAME sequels in the form of 'son of the mask' and crap like that! shocked shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and...BUMP

Christodoulides wrote
    BTW did anyone else noticed any deliberate odd stuff in the sound mix of the film as in changes of sound's frequency (notably the music jumped up and down at some places) due to 'old school' effects or was it just the system of the cinema i went that was probably f*cked up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly why I think it was Lucas's idea first, then Spielberg and/or Ford said "Yeah, you know what? How about we do this instead George".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and...BUMP

Christodoulides wrote
    BTW did anyone else noticed any deliberate odd stuff in the sound mix of the film as in changes of sound's frequency (notably the music jumped up and down at some places) due to 'old school' effects or was it just the system of the cinema i went that was probably f*cked up?

You may be right, I think I noticed something like that but I'd have to see the film again to confirm.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

Jordi wave

What do you mean about Harrison Ford's "eyes"?

Somtimes is like if he had some plastic surgery or too much make up that makes his eyes unexpressive.

i don't know.

Im agree about this film contains a lot of Spielrberg masterful hand. Specially in main titles sequence and in "jungle Chase".

Essentially, the Lucas stuff sucks, and Spielberg and Ford thing Rocks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Jordi wave

What do you mean about Harrison Ford's "eyes"?

Somtimes is like if he had some plastic surgery or too much make up that makes his eyes unexpressive.

i don't know.

Im agree about this film contains a lot of Spielrberg masterful hand. Specially in main titles sequence and in "jungle Chase".

Essentially, the Lucas stuff sucks, and Spielberg and Ford thing Rocks!

Ford's eyes were carbon frozen? wink

You seem to have noticed something that I didn't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    *entertained: genuinely meaning without having to go through the usual 'U.S PRESIDENT versus terrrrrrrrrrrrists that keeps driving me nuts for the last 10 years or so)

Exactly; it's that rare kind of entertainment of the classical sense; innocent and boyish, just fun. Without even profanity, nudity, gratuitous violence or controversiality. Not that I've got something against all that, but to find a blockbuster that doesn't need all those things to get attention, is just really refreshing, and we should be grateful Spielberg is still delivering those goods.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008
    Hugely entertaining.

Great adventure film.

Not a great Indy-film, though, in my opinion.

Too many references to the old films, and the tone was a bit too light. I never once had the feeling that Indy took this quest particularly seriously, and never had the feeling that any of the characters were in any kind of real danger at any one time.

A couple of over-the-top sequences, I could have done without - the "Tarzan"-sequence in particular.

Several unmotivated action-sequences that weren't answered or justified - the "undead" warriors and the bola-swinging indians in the Maya-temple. Unexplained stuff like this never happened in the original three pictures.

Thought Karen Allen was terrible, and Indy became decidedly silly once she turned up. LaBouef did a fine job, though. Could have done without the saccharine ending as well.

Also, all the characters - Indy included - were just bit-players in the climax (more or less the last 15-20 minutes of the film) where no character really had to do anything than look on and run from the various dangers.

All this said (and I have a lot more to say on this topic), I was still hugely entertained all the way through, and will repeat that this was a great adventure film and hugely entertaining.

Just not a good Indy-film.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008 edited
    Just got back from seeing it in London. Had a pretty good day - had lunch at Planet Hollywood and saw the bullwhip and the holy grail there!

And I'll say now - I failed at not hearing the score until I saw the movie. I got so damn close too. I've had the CD for nearly a week now, avoided listening to it, avoided putting it on my iPod and avoided any clips on YouTube etc....but guess what they're playing when I walk in to the cinema!

Big-ass-post-full-of-spoilers!

Anyway, as for the movie...I'm kinda on neutral ground here. It was entertaining, but some stuff just didn't feel right.

The beginning was awesome (I loved the Paramount logo-fade!). The warehouse stuff was pretty good, as was the reprise of the Ark theme and the end of Flight From Peru (say what you will, but I thought that was cool!)

That rocket-sled thingy - awesome, I want one! I just wish this opening sequence went on for longer. The return of the marmot thingy at the end of that segment felt a little cheesy though. The whole nuclear testing thing was ok I guess, but it went too far out of my comfort zone. I accept the fact it's now meant to be 1957, but it just didn't feel right.

The return to the college (again, another reprise from Flight From Peru which I loved) was, in my opinion, the strongest part of the film. Very funny, good music, and that wicked bike chase. I enjoyed the little references to Henry and Brody. This was the only part of the film where I had a smile on my face throughout. I just wish it stayed like this.

Anyway...onto the first National Treasure segment. The whole looking for the body of whoever it was in Mexico...boy, could they drag that out for any longer? I actually stopped paying attention here and just started thinking about something else. And it continued when we first arrived in the jungle. Why did we have the whole Temple Of Doom hypnosis crap again? *yawn*

The jungle chase. I was massively let down here. If you think about it, Indy does nothing here apart from drive the vechicle. It just focussed on Mutt having the stupid-ass sword fight with Spalko and having *oh my god* the lamest Tarzan-swinging-shit I've ever seen. I couldn't stand that scene, I was cringing.

The ants...pretty cool, but rather pointless.

Don't get me started on the waterfall...I started thinking back to the over the top bits in the previous movies here and tried to block out how dumb this was (the huge cliff coming out on no where in Raiders came to mind), but again, something just didn't feel right about it.

I enjoyed the second National Treasure bit more than the earlier scene, right up until we get to the room full of the alien skeletons. I cannot think of anyone but Lucas to blame for this. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. This is Indy. He goes after religious stuff, not freakin' aliens. And as cool as the final ''departure'' shot was visually, I felt it was f***ing stupid. It didn't belong in an Indy movie at all. Nor did the weird "coming together" of the skeletons to form an alien...that was the low-point in my opinion. Teh suck.

And onto the characters. I love Mutt. Aside from his stupid jungle chase stuff, I thought he fit in well. But as for Mac, Marion and Oxley. The first - why did this character exist other than to be a mole? Marion...ok...sure, be in it if you wish, but I'd have appreciated it if you'd actually contributed something to the story other than just "hey Indy, you have a son!". And Oxley...dear God. Who's idea was it to have someone who talked jibberish right up until the last five minutes? Fail.

I'm one of those people that only seems to focus on the bad rather than the good, so while the above comments may make it appear like I hated it, I did enjoy the movie a lot. I can easily seperate it from the original trilogy, as it doesn't feel like it belongs there. A good adventure movie, but not a great Indy movie.

As for the score - I was actually surprised how closely it matched my predictions. I'd read a lot of the comments from you guys before seeing the movie, and it was kinda what I thought it would be. As mentioned above, the coolest parts were the Flight From Peru reprises and the bike chase cue. Again though, something felt off with the score. I don't know why, as musically it's sound. As someone said above, no goosebump moments, which surprised me greatly. I took a quick spin of the soundtrack when I got in, and even the Raiders March doesn't do it (but if I listen to the older versions, it still does!). Very odd.

3/5 from me.

A couple of questions though:

- What's with the zombie-mask-people at that graveyard? Were they meant to be human or not?
    - Even though they blew up the tree cutter at the beginning of the jungle chase, why was there a huge-ass road that they had the chase on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently I'm the only one who thinks LeBoeuf's antics in the jungle chase were completely Indy-esque: I enjoyed both the sword fight and the tarzan outing, mainly because Mutt exuded that same "I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm hoping for the best" vibe as Indy himself did in Raiders.
    Honestly, I thought that was brilliant, especially when things "just happen" to work out for the best.

As we've seemingly given up any pretense of remaining spoiler-free, I feel at liberty to say that I hated the explicitness of the aliens (the skeletons moving and the skeletons moving into one 'live' alien): for me, things may stay a little less defined. I enjoy a bit more mystery.
    Angel thingies coming from the Ark worked for me.
    A live, old age pensioner Grail knight didn't. And neither did Close Encounter Of The Phantom Skull. The plot wouldn't have been damaged had the alien skull, nor the skeletons nor the live alien done anything at all. That would have made the departure all the more powerful, in my mind.
    Ad I too blame Lucas here: he's long had the reputation of trying to push the issue into the audience's face. He's scared witless of audiences
    a) getting bored
    b) not getting it
    And he's seriously overcompensating, and has been since Phantom Menace.

The saucer though was fully up to fifties' style: I loved it. LOVED it.
    And I loved Marion as well. She was like a breath of fresh air throughout the film. Her grin is just so infectious. I really hoped she'd be used more, but hey, I'll take anything.
    And didn't she look well, nineteen years after! love

John Hurt was utterly wasted as "the human treasure map".
    What a pointless performance.
    And I didn't get Ray Winstone's character at all. What did he contribute to the plot in the end? I had no empathy or sympathy for the character beyond the Silo 51 scene (which was brilliant).

And to finish off, I think Erik nailed it.
    I've been trying to put my finger on the one overlapping defect of the film, and Erik got it in one: there's simply no suspense. I'm generally entertained, at times amused, sometimes awed... but at no point was I at the edge of my seat.

Now that my initial "tooth has been pulled" (so to speak), I'm going to watch the film again on Sunday with some friends. Since Temple Of Doom it's taken three viewings for me to fully appreciate every Indy after the incomparabel Raiders, so maybe my harsh-ish view of Phantom Skull will be softened as time passes.
    Watch this space.
    We'll see.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    - What's with the zombie-mask-people at that graveyard? Were they meant to be human or not?

They're human. They're part of the Incan/Mayan/Lucasian tribe guarding the secret of the skull.

- Even though they blew up the tree cutter at the beginning of the jungle chase, why was there a huge-ass road that they had the chase on?

I think that the same WWI tank that was driving through Palestina in Last Crusade had been on a sightseeing tour in Peru.
    Either that, or they were incredibly lucky.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Tommy_boy and I went to a screening and never though I'd hear myself say this but what we felt afterwards was ... disappointment! And we're both fans of the trilogy. Maybe I am even more. I grew up with Indy, though Raiders of the Lost Ark I haven't seen as much as the other two, I'm just totally appalled by the fact that I could not enjoy number 4. Because I get a kick out of Raiders, Temple and Crusade each and every time I put the DVD in the player.

For me, this movie lacks the spirit, humor and sense of adventure that was so present in the others. And what's with the ultra slow buildup to something that I can only describe as a totally unspectacular Spielberg-finale. C'mon this is the guy that has made some of the most unforgettable movie scenes in our history. And I totally love the guy for everthing he's done, but here nah, I cannot get over the silliness in some scenes, total lack of that typical Indy humor, and forced plot and uninspired acting. It's like after every story element (which dragged on sadly) there had to be an action scene, and when it ended, another part of the story was revealed. OK that's the way 90 % of the movies are made, but here it just felt artificial, the story didn't flow naturally. And where is the chemistry between Marion and Indy. Just look at Raiders for some real fun interaction between the two leads. Here it's totally absent.

On a more positive note, I thought the action sequences were well put together and how Spielberg bookends them is always a joy to watch, the CGI didn't bother me that much, and the staging of it all was on par with the other films.

And the score is something that can get a whole lot more fun , with repeated listens, after all this is still Williams, but a different composer than he was 25 years. But I liked what I heard, even if the scenes it accompanies fail to make an impression.

Maybe it's Spielberg's Phantom Menace, we'll see how it turns out if or when he decides to shoot some sequels (with or without Ford).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've been listening to the score a lot since seeing the movie, and something is definately wrong with it. I've been struggling to put my finger on what it is exactly, and I think I've come to it. Tehnically, the music is sound. It's "good" music, but it's not good.

As people have said, there's not a single "goosebump" moment in the score, and here's my take on why:

Total. Lack. Of. Emotion. rolleyes

There is nothing in this which does anything for me. Even the Raiders March does bugger all. Nothing in this score is scary, exciting, intense, heroic or beautiful. There's nothing. It just goes on from one cue to another providing nothing to grab onto. The new themes aren't exactly good compared to the previous scores, but you don't need a good theme to make something sound good.

I don't know if it's right to place blame on the orchestra or Williams here...but screw it, let's just blame Lucas. tongue

Btw, at the end of the movie, was that the Grail theme playing or the "family" theme? I couldn't tell at all, and if it was the former, what the hell was that doing in there?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

I don't know if it's right to place blame on the orchestra or Williams here...but screw it, let's just blame Lucas. tongue

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I saw Indiana Jones 4 again....

After my great dissapointment in the first

How many people has said, It's not a good Indy movie. But it's a GREAT ADVENTURE MOVIE.

Sometimes it's what this movie have to be, using CGI to make great landscapes and great set pieces (specially this impossible Spielberg Shoots).Sadly Lucas over use of this kind of things make this movie a Videogame like his SW prequels.

About the over the top moments...I was thinking... Temple of the Doom's Slalom and Mine car chase are not too far from this. But for some reason the CGI still are not good like the miniatures. So you can't enter in it.

I find really, really impressive the jungle chase (even with Mutt's swordfight, wich I find is cool).

The only moments wich are really annoying are :the "alvin and the chipnuts" The fridge sequence, the tarzan scene and the tree in the waterfal.

A lot of moments where this movie is What it has to be : The Bike Chase ( Old Fashioned Stunts with a great comical moments withour being ridicolous), All the Tomb -City of Gold Puzzles and Landscapes, Parts of Jungle Chase and the Snake pitt Sequence (well, it can have been done in a real Jungle , not in a set)

4 Stars for an Adventure movie.
  2. Anthony wroteBtw, at the end of the movie, was that the Grail theme playing or the "family" theme? I couldn't tell at all, and if it was the former, what the hell was that doing in there?!

IMHO, the second part of the grail theme from Last Crusade is Henry Jones, Sr.'s theme. It makes sense when the photo of Sean Connery is shown but not at the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

Btw, at the end of the movie, was that the Grail theme playing or the "family" theme? I couldn't tell at all, and if it was the former, what the hell was that doing in there?!

Greal theme. Because Spielberg Said Sangreal search is also the search for Indy and his Father relationship. A good Reprise. I love it.

About the score...I TOLD YOU! crazy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Spoilers below...

Let's try and clear one thing up here. Was that alien real? I seriously couldn't tell whether it was meant to be physically there (after all the skeletons came together), or whether it was just what Spalko was seeing as all the minds were feeding her information.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What was the general reaction people got from the theatre at the end? A few people briefly clapped when I saw it, but it sounded hesitent and out of politeness. Something tells me a lot of people weren't big fans of the movie. And I've been going round a few message boards and a lot of people hated the ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    I HATE people clapping in cinemas. crazy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Another question - does anyone want an Indy 5?

I do, as it damn well can't end like this.
  3. Anthony wrote
    Just got back from seeing it in London. Had a pretty good day - had lunch at Planet Hollywood and saw the bullwhip and the holy grail there!

And I'll say now - I failed at not hearing the score until I saw the movie. I got so damn close too. I've had the CD for nearly a week now, avoided listening to it, avoided putting it on my iPod and avoided any clips on YouTube etc....but guess what they're playing when I walk in to the cinema!

Big-ass-post-full-of-spoilers!

Anyway, as for the movie...I'm kinda on neutral ground here. It was entertaining, but some stuff just didn't feel right.

The beginning was awesome (I loved the Paramount logo-fade!). The warehouse stuff was pretty good, as was the reprise of the Ark theme and the end of Flight From Peru (say what you will, but I thought that was cool!)

That rocket-sled thingy - awesome, I want one! I just wish this opening sequence went on for longer. The return of the marmot thingy at the end of that segment felt a little cheesy though. The whole nuclear testing thing was ok I guess, but it went too far out of my comfort zone. I accept the fact it's now meant to be 1957, but it just didn't feel right.

The return to the college (again, another reprise from Flight From Peru which I loved) was, in my opinion, the strongest part of the film. Very funny, good music, and that wicked bike chase. I enjoyed the little references to Henry and Brody. This was the only part of the film where I had a smile on my face throughout. I just wish it stayed like this.

Anyway...onto the first National Treasure segment. The whole looking for the body of whoever it was in Mexico...boy, could they drag that out for any longer? I actually stopped paying attention here and just started thinking about something else. And it continued when we first arrived in the jungle. Why did we have the whole Temple Of Doom hypnosis crap again? *yawn*

The jungle chase. I was massively let down here. If you think about it, Indy does nothing here apart from drive the vechicle. It just focussed on Mutt having the stupid-ass sword fight with Spalko and having *oh my god* the lamest Tarzan-swinging-shit I've ever seen. I couldn't stand that scene, I was cringing.

The ants...pretty cool, but rather pointless.

Don't get me started on the waterfall...I started thinking back to the over the top bits in the previous movies here and tried to block out how dumb this was (the huge cliff coming out on no where in Raiders came to mind), but again, something just didn't feel right about it.

I enjoyed the second National Treasure bit more than the earlier scene, right up until we get to the room full of the alien skeletons. I cannot think of anyone but Lucas to blame for this. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. This is Indy. He goes after religious stuff, not freakin' aliens. And as cool as the final ''departure'' shot was visually, I felt it was f***ing stupid. It didn't belong in an Indy movie at all. Nor did the weird "coming together" of the skeletons to form an alien...that was the low-point in my opinion. Teh suck.

And onto the characters. I love Mutt. Aside from his stupid jungle chase stuff, I thought he fit in well. But as for Mac, Marion and Oxley. The first - why did this character exist other than to be a mole? Marion...ok...sure, be in it if you wish, but I'd have appreciated it if you'd actually contributed something to the story other than just "hey Indy, you have a son!". And Oxley...dear God. Who's idea was it to have someone who talked jibberish right up until the last five minutes? Fail.

I'm one of those people that only seems to focus on the bad rather than the good, so while the above comments may make it appear like I hated it, I did enjoy the movie a lot. I can easily seperate it from the original trilogy, as it doesn't feel like it belongs there. A good adventure movie, but not a great Indy movie.

As for the score - I was actually surprised how closely it matched my predictions. I'd read a lot of the comments from you guys before seeing the movie, and it was kinda what I thought it would be. As mentioned above, the coolest parts were the Flight From Peru reprises and the bike chase cue. Again though, something felt off with the score. I don't know why, as musically it's sound. As someone said above, no goosebump moments, which surprised me greatly. I took a quick spin of the soundtrack when I got in, and even the Raiders March doesn't do it (but if I listen to the older versions, it still does!). Very odd.

3/5 from me.

A couple of questions though:

Anthony I agree with practically everything you say here, the bomb testing felt completely out of tone (what did it have to do there and the frigde was the only thing that was blown away?), the graveyard scene felt it lasted 20 minutes (no jokes or surprises) and the alien segment didn't feel Indy right at all. Like you said, he's going after religious treasures and not alien like, it did not fit with the indy feel at all.

You expressed everything like I wanted to express it, thanks for saving me the time and effort bud wink

Nonetheless, entertaining movie but not a good Indy movie confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I want to murder George Lucas. It has his fingerprints all over this. I didn't really give a hoot that he screwed up Star Wars, but now that he's done it with Indy...I f***ing hate this man! crazy kill

I hope we get another apology movie like we got Crusade as a "sorry for Temple".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You have issues Anthony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    I want to murder George Lucas. It has his fingerprints all over this. I didn't really give a hoot that he screwed up Star Wars, but now that he's done it with Indy...I f***ing hate this man! crazy kill

I hope we get another apology movie like we got Crusade as a "sorry for Temple".

ahahahahaha....

I second about the Muder Gerorge Lucas Thing. Spierlberg is so inspired on this movie!!!! Why lucas want savotage his friend!!!

Anyway, Probably "Kingdom" is my third favourite Indy movie. The last Crusade, Raiders, Kingdom and Temple.

But for my nostalgic feelings, and his macho man nature, probably I consider Temple more indy movie than Kingdom. (both has really annoying moments, In the temple case are: Willie, Shortround. the childrens and the Slalom's thing.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    What was the general reaction people got from the theatre at the end? A few people briefly clapped when

Not a single clap at the ending, and the feeling was disappointment. Even the more die hard fans of Indy (and the group of people I went to the movie with was full of them) couldn´t deny the evidence: this is an average adventures film, nothing more, nothing less.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    What was the general reaction people got from the theatre at the end? A few people briefly clapped when

Not a single clap at the ending, and the feeling was disappointment. Even the more die hard fans of Indy (and the group of people I went to the movie with was full of them) couldn´t deny the evidence: this is an average adventures film, nothing more, nothing less.

Try to see the reaction to the www.comingsoon.net site.

It's not average. It's AN AMAZIN ADVENTURE FILM. with annoying Lucas moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Try to see the reaction to the www.comingsoon.net site.

It's not average. It's AN AMAZIN ADVENTURE FILM. with annoying Lucas moments.

An AMAZING adventure film with annoying Lucas moments makes for a perfect AVERAGE film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A "perfect average film"?

A perfect average film?

Haven't got my head around that one! dizzy