• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

If it not was by the fridge

Certainly don't want it getting cold do we? biggrin '

You are mean!

alvin and the chipnuts

The chipnuts... classic. biggrin

That was beyond funny.
    ROFCMSIWFOHL!
    (Rolling Over The Floor Clasping My Stomach In Wild Fits Of Hysterical Laughter)

I just went for the second time last night, and I came away for more mild than I did the first time.
    Honestly, all the contras still stand:
    - general lack of suspense due to a far too linear script (closed door with key hole shaped like alien skull. However shall we open this door? Oh! Wait. Boom. Open. Next scene.)
    - the utter lack of point in Winstone's and Hurt's characters
    - the clunky dialogue in the second half of the film
    - the overly unsubtle explicitness of the denouement (and the lack of mystery)
    but I enjoyed all the set pieces more and the sheer fun of the ride.
    I still like the jungle chase scene with all its aspects (including the vine-swinging) a lot (and there was some properly great photography in that scene as well, especially when Cate/Irina was in shot! love ).

I also had a lot more fun with the introductory scenes up to and including the atomic blast which was SO insanely over the top that I just can't help but start grinning even thinking about it.

And I think the hot-rod intro at the very beginning is excellent, and beautifully shot! It gets you right into the action.

Yeah, it could have been better.
    It should have been better.
    But at the end of the day, I did have a lot of fun.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

alvin and the chipnuts

The chipnuts... classic. biggrin

Hehe. It's chipmunks Nautilus. But they weren't chipmunks - they're tiny little cute things. These were more like "prarie dogs" (what a crap name), or marmots or something. dizzy

I think they're meant to be Prarie Dogs. Appalling actors hence the CGI wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They should have hired this little fella.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    She did that waterfall stunt. biggrin

And very coolly, too!
    I loved her "yes, dear"!

I love Marion.

You DO have a thing for Grammas, right?

He's an old man, remember? Gramps!

Hey! Come ON!
    Marion Ravenwood has always kicked ass...and it's fantastic to see that grin again!
    She could be 110 and I'd still love her!

(And yeah, I'd take one Karen Allen over seventy Paris Britney Simpsons any day.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The OLD (well, young) Karen Allen, yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You have fine taste, young master Steven. smile

(Though I maintain that at 57, she doesn't look bad at all!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    You have fine taste, young master Steven. smile

(Though I maintain that at 57, she doesn't look bad at all!)

She's got a terrific smile biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

shocked ARRRGGGHHHHH you sod!I almost spewed a mouthful of hot tea all over the keyboard! shocked

The first laugh out loud moment I've had all day, BRILLIANT! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked ARRRGGGHHHHH you sod!I almost spewed a mouthful of hot tea all over the keyboard! shocked

The first laugh out loud moment I've had all day, BRILLIANT! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin punk

You sir need to see the Spartan Remix then:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B9RxnjbXD30

wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    Merry Christmas Marrion smile lovers:

http://outnow.ch/Movies/2008/IndianaJon … movie.p/10

(it's actually a huge picture if you get the direct URL, but the site doesn't allow hotlinking)

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Somebody else already hired him
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, it could have been better.
    It should have been better.
    But at the end of the day, I did have a lot of fun.

Sums it up perfectly for me, too, mate smile
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    Merry Christmas Marrion smile lovers:

http://outnow.ch/Movies/2008/IndianaJon … movie.p/10

(it's actually a huge picture if you get the direct URL, but the site doesn't allow hotlinking)

tongue

See, now that is a GREAT picture! Really!
  1. @ Nuclear Blast: The more I think about that, the more I like it, especially the massive iconographic meaning behind that gigantic mushroom, growing bigger and bigger, and Indiana standing in front of it, watching in horror. I love that... he´s a man from another time, another world. It´s as if he realises things are going to change... a lot...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    @ Nuclear Blast: The more I think about that, the more I like it, especially the massive iconographic meaning behind that gigantic mushroom, growing bigger and bigger, and Indiana standing in front of it, watching in horror. I love that... he´s a man from another time, another world. It´s as if he realises things are going to change... a lot...

As far as it took it out of the comfort zone, I really liked that scene. Kinda odd he wasn't left with radiation poisioning though, or perhaps those were just magic brushes the army guys were cleaning him with. tongue biggrin
  2. Or a last residue from the grail... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Just saw the film today. It was pretty good, although I was completely taken aback by the ending. Very interesting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    I just would like to mention something regarding the nay sayers/bashers out there. I personally think that as soon as one sees the Paramount mountain logo fade into that prairie dog mount... you have to know that you are in for a somewhat campy ride. I think that was perhaps the purpose by Spielberg starting the movie like that. For me it works and "warns" me not to expect the more gritty realism of Raiders. With that mindset I really enjoyed the movie. Obviously these negative reviewers (there is nothing wrong about reviewing a movie negatively btw) went to see the movie with the wrong expectations/mindset.

For me almost all the goofy stuff in the movie worked wonderfully, 3 waterfalls, (I thought that was funny, just look at Indy's face when he's counting them, he just makes the same face like in Doom :"we... are... going... to... die" - kind of face) bending tree, swordfight, fridge.. because I KNEW its was supposed to be campy. (but the monkey scene went too far) For me, when a movie clearly shows it doesn't take itself too serious, all these things work. However I cannot stand for movies that create a serious/realistic atmosphere and then throw in something completely unbelievable/childish. Like Jurassic Park II's athletic move that caused a raptor to be kicked! That is so idiotic.

Anyway, to summarize, this movie is supposed to be fun and campy, don't judge it on a realistic basis. It doesn't make any sense if you do so. Enjoy the movie as it is. Its a great ride.

Anyone agrees/disagrees?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Talos wrote
    I just would like to mention something regarding the nay sayers/bashers out there. I personally think that as soon as one sees the Paramount mountain logo fade into that prairie dog mount... you have to know that you are in for a somewhat campy ride. I think that was perhaps the purpose by Spielberg starting the movie like that.

Well, Spielberg did something oh so very similar with Temple of Doom and his opening "Anything Goes" dance number and they managed to make a film that worked both dramatically and in the camp department. Unfortunately, the drama doesn't work in Skull and the camp department is just laughable.

Again, Skull was fun... no doubt about it... but there was so much not to like in the movie that just annoyed me to no end. I didn't get that "feeling" with the previous three films.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't get that "feeling" with the previous three films.

Just curious, Erik (or anyone else for that matter): did you get That Feeling at the very beginning, though?
    Havind watched it a second time, I noticed *I* did (and recognized I did the first time as well).
    I just mean the hot-rod intro.
    I don't know what it is, but it so completely clicked for me, complete with camera angles, music and style. It set the tone perfectly. Yes, it couldn't maintain that tone for the better part, but honestly, I think the intro was just excellent!
    Any thoughts on that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Personally, I´d say it felt a bit awkward and strange on first view. Looking back, though, I think it was a nice setup that I will much more appreciate on a second viewing, whenever that may come.

Overall, I think the movie will feel different on a second viewing, probably even better than I thought it to be at the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Overall, I think the movie will feel different on a second viewing, probably even better than I thought it to be at the first.

It did feel different to me the second time through...expectations were not as high as they were on the initial viewing (19 years of waiting will do that) and I enjoyed it more the second time through. I enjoyed it more the second time I watched it...and I will go see it again I am sure.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
  3. Talos wrote
    However I cannot stand for movies that create a serious/realistic atmosphere and then throw in something completely unbelievable/childish. Like Jurassic Park II's athletic move that caused a raptor to be kicked! That is so idiotic.

How can that be unbelievable? The girl clearly had acrobatic skills and pushing a raptor through a window with enough force might just do the trick. Granted I could / would never do something like that but I'm totally anti-athletic... I have no problem with that scene, nor with the whole movie, which was far more enjoyable and exciting than Crystal Skull IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Well I just got beck from seeing KOTCS for the second time.
    The other day I posted a couple of remarks about just how disappointed I was with this film.
    I felt really let down by the lack of tension and the cornyness factor on the initial screening.
    This time around I really enjoyed it! So, on the most part, I recant from my initial judgement.
    Sure some aspects of the corny moments are regretable but forgivable.
    This time around I really enjoyed the ride. I noticed things I missed the first time that helped the storyline. And great musical moments missing from the album!
    I have never changed my mind so dramatically about anything before as I have here!
    This film is far from perfect but it proved a fun ride the second time round!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The amount of replies in one thread about a particular film just goes to show how passionate we all are about Indy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't get that "feeling" with the previous three films.

Just curious, Erik (or anyone else for that matter): did you get That Feeling at the very beginning, though?

The beginning... even the totally unrealistic Doomtown sequence worked for me. It's easily the best part of the film. Too bad the chase in the warehouse and the fight with the Russian solider didn't last longer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Talos wrote
    However I cannot stand for movies that create a serious/realistic atmosphere and then throw in something completely unbelievable/childish. Like Jurassic Park II's athletic move that caused a raptor to be kicked! That is so idiotic.

How can that be unbelievable? The girl clearly had acrobatic skills and pushing a raptor through a window with enough force might just do the trick. Granted I could / would never do something like that but I'm totally anti-athletic... I have no problem with that scene, nor with the whole movie, which was far more enjoyable and exciting than Crystal Skull IMO.

The big problem I have with the scene is the whole gymnastics routine before drop kicking the raptor. The whole set up was garbage. Who would take their time to do a perfect 10 routine just to kick a raptor? Just kick the raptor!!! That's the problem I have with that scene. LAME!

Ian: "The school cut you from the team?"

How absolutely idiotic!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Talos wrote

The big problem I have with the scene is the whole gymnastics routine before drop kicking the raptor. The whole set up was garbage. Who would take their time to do a perfect 10 routine just to kick a raptor? Just kick the raptor!!! That's the problem I have with that scene. LAME!

Ian: "The school cut you from the team?"

How absolutely idiotic!!!

-Erik-

Well, "just kicking" the Raptor may not have been enough without all the momentum built up in the routine?

Or am I just making excuses for Spielberg? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh poo, it's no different from all those ballet Kung Fu films where you apparently can't get a knock-out in without three saltos with double backflip while juggling two swords.
    It just needs to look good. Realism doesn't come into play!

Case in point: she's kicking a raptor.

She. Is. Kicking. A. DINOSAUR.

In any film featuring dinosaurs, realism isn't my primary concern. smile
    For my money, she could have double backslammed the sucker and I would have been equally entertained. punk

That's the thing with Crystal Skull and Last Crusade as well: I don't mind the Grail knight or the aliens per se... but I would have loved for it to be more mythic in tone and execution.
    (Angels demons and Heavenly Fires in Lost Ark went down a treat with me!)