• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Talos wrote
    However I cannot stand for movies that create a serious/realistic atmosphere and then throw in something completely unbelievable/childish. Like Jurassic Park II's athletic move that caused a raptor to be kicked! That is so idiotic.

How can that be unbelievable? The girl clearly had acrobatic skills and pushing a raptor through a window with enough force might just do the trick. Granted I could / would never do something like that but I'm totally anti-athletic... I have no problem with that scene, nor with the whole movie, which was far more enjoyable and exciting than Crystal Skull IMO.

The big problem I have with the scene is the whole gymnastics routine before drop kicking the raptor. The whole set up was garbage. Who would take their time to do a perfect 10 routine just to kick a raptor? Just kick the raptor!!! That's the problem I have with that scene. LAME!

Ian: "The school cut you from the team?"

How absolutely idiotic!!!

-Erik-

Well, "just kicking" the Raptor may not have been enough without all the momentum built up in the routine?

Or am I just making excuses for Spielberg? wink

Yes, you are. I can understand the momentum but the whole gym routine portion of it sucked. She didn't have to do all those fancy "moves" to gain momentum. It was lame.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote

Just curious, Erik (or anyone else for that matter): did you get That Feeling at the very beginning, though?

Yes, up until we went to Nazca, it felt like an Indy movie. Different from the others, but it had its heart in the right place. From that point on, it just got silly.

I think if they made the slightest change of NOT seeing the alien at the end, I would have looked over most of the other problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    Yes, up until we went to Nazca, it felt like an Indy movie. Different from the others, but it had its heart in the right place. From that point on, it just got silly.

I think if they made the slightest change of NOT seeing the alien at the end, I would have looked over most of the other problems.

Word!
    I think you nailed it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I have no problem with the alien. I like it that Irina gets want she wants. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But we didn't have to see it..

If they'd just showed all the skulls firing knowledge at her and then seeing her set alight, that would have been fine. But no...we have to have a confusing-ass shot of the skulls coming together and forming an alien that does nothing but look at the camera. Why?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    But we didn't have to see it..

If they'd just showed all the skulls firing knowledge at her and then seeing her set alight, that would have been fine. But no...we have to have a confusing-ass shot of the skulls coming together and forming an alien that does nothing but look at the camera. Why?!

Agreed! Seeing the combined power of the 13 skulls firing alien lightning bolts from their eyes towards Irina would have been far more powerful. I mean, it's the same reason we didn't see God Himself in Raiders. What we did see was the "power" of God.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Maybe Lucas was worried that if we didn't see the alien we'd complain that the ship took off by itself... rolleyes rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Maybe Lucas was worried that if we didn't see the alien we'd complain that the ship took off by itself... rolleyes rolleyes

It was hammering the point home a bit eh!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have no problem with the alien. I like it that Irina gets want she wants. biggrin

Yeah, ignorance is bliss. Too much info will kill you. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have no problem with the alien. I like it that Irina gets want she wants. biggrin

BTW that part is very much inspired by the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis graphic adventure from 1992.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  2. It is? Damn, I never got into that frakkin´ city... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It is? Damn, I never got into that frakkin´ city... biggrin

Can't blame you. The last bit of the game is quite boring, to be honest. Never really cared for Fate of Atlantis (although it has its moments). Gimme The Last Crusade graphic adventure any day biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  3. Martijn wrote
    Oh poo, it's no different from all those ballet Kung Fu films where you apparently can't get a knock-out in without three saltos with double backflip while juggling two swords.
    It just needs to look good. Realism doesn't come into play!

Case in point: she's kicking a raptor.

She. Is. Kicking. A. DINOSAUR.

Agree. Why just kick it when you can do some super athletic move and come out looking like you're the star. Hey it's the young actress' 3 seconds of fame. If she had just kicked the dino like any of us can do, who would've remembered her, 11 years after the movie released?

I know, stupid reasoning but I couldn't resist!!!

For me the scene works, and the way they eventually escape the little shack unharmed with Williams building to an action crescendo is damned exciting.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    I still think its lame. I mean such a move would have worked for example in King Solomon's Mines or something. (a movie that doesn't take itself serious) but really... raptors are chasing everyone... nice scene and such... and then a little kid making some gymnastic moves... that really sux.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Talos wrote
    I still think its lame. I mean such a move would have worked for example in King Solomon's Mines or something. (a movie that doesn't take itself serious) but really... raptors are chasing everyone... nice scene and such... and then a little kid making some gymnastic moves... that really sux.

Totally agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Totally disagree. dizzy tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Totally disagr.... wait a second... yeah, that sucked. I mean, the idea itself was great, but like Erik said, I don´t buy the "momentum gaining" explanation for that show off.

(And yeah, I preferred the Last Crusade game as well.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    (And yeah, I preferred the Last Crusade game as well.)

I loved Fate Of Atlantis. I got to finish it!
    Last Crusade always crashed my Amiga when I entered the sewers. sad
  4. Yeah, the good old Amiga... always there to make you feel stupid. biggrin
  5. Hey have any of you guys played the PC-only adventures 'Indy and the Infernal Machine' or 'Indy and the Emperor's Tomb'. Those were some good inspired action adventure games with that good old Indiana spirit, with plenty of exploring, action and puzzling, but with no ties to the movies actually. Too bad they couldn't get Harrison to voice the hero, that would have been awesome!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Could someone give me an idea of what the score to the Indiana Jones GAMES are like? Which ones are worth hunting down?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Could someone give me an idea of what the score to the Indiana Jones GAMES are like? Which ones are worth hunting down?

I'll have clips from Emperor's Tomb up later tonight. Stay tuned...

-Erik-
  6. Emperor's Tomb by Clint Bajakian is definitely worth checking out. There's some kickass action cues and choral pieces. And about 75 % of it is fully orchestral. The gamerip is just a little repetitive but if you trim it down and ignore the repeated tracks, you can come with a good 50-60 minutes of Indiana goodness. Which I did wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    Just in case you missed this post in the Cinematic Sound thread.

wink

May 28, 2008 UPDATE:

The Indiana Jones Saga program is now on-line. Go to...

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

...to hear the show. On the show you will hear music composed by John Williams from the new Indiana Jones film - INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - as well as from the previous three Indy adventures - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM and INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE. During the special fourth hour you will hear music from THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES with music composed by Joel McNeely and Laurence Rosenthal. And as a special treat you will hear music from the video game INDIANA JONES AND THE EMPEROR'S TOMB by Clint Bajakian.

Playlist
    http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound … 28_08.html

If you have any problems listening the show please e-mail us at cinematicsound (at) yahoo.com.

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Talking about games... a very Indy like game is an absolutely great game for the PS3; Drake's Fortune; Uncharted" I completed this game, and its just like Indiana Jones, with a very pragmatic kind of anti hero. It even has a jungle chase level, almost exactly the same as the jungle chase in Indy IV. The music is great btw. If you have a PS3 and love a good adventure game... GET IT... NOW!!! (I am NOT joking, its really good)

and... I found this on Youtube... some guy somehow has some superb sounding unreleased tracks from TEMPLE OF DOOM, and he posted it on youtube... right here: (enjoy!) (when hearing this... you really will get your INDY FIX which you missed with the lastest effort.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6lAPIAoFf8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNAXLFZ2eU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AC11Oj0gZI

now... I have to figure out how to rip the audio from youtube... hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    My dear friends...

I figured it out... its extremely simple: download this freeware:

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dv … verter.htm

Paste the youtube link... and save! Tadaa... ! Indiana Jones galore!!! Heaven!
  7. Playing through Uncharted at the moment, very fun game, with enough varied gameplay. I noticed more than one Indy reference, and the story is superbly told, the acting feels very natural, just like you would see and hear real characters in a movie act and talk. It's great. So far an adventurous ride with plenty of action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Its getting better and better... I just simply merged Finale Part I and II (use Audacity) just copy paste part II into Part I and save.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Nice game indeed. He moves so natural, with those little human mistakes and such. Can't wait for the follow up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    While interestingly most of the critics have embraced Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (IJATSTUPIDACRONYMS), apparently there have been one or two rather pointed and valid critiques....

Some things don't even need LOLcats. biggrin