• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, I would say that Golden Age is a historical term rather than a specific paradigm. That would e.g. mean that Cutthroat Island or even Mask of Zorre are Golden Age scores, which I can't agree with.

The Golden Age of cinema does have a time frame which ending in the late 50's early 60's. The Silver Age began and then we moved into what ever after 1977 is called. Within those time periods specific sounds were developed which defined the age. So, calling CutThroat Island a Golden Age styled score means that we are talking about film music written from 1930's to the beginning of the 1960's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    New times belong to the new timers, for good or for bad.

That's true. I'm just 30 years old (31 in a month), but that apparently makes me an oldtimer here, since I like both old and new with equal gusto. A new sensation, for sure! smile

I must admit I had to chuckle when I saw Thor, the great defender of the existence of all things new, hankering for a return to old times. I too wish for it, but this message board is very much located in a post-Lion King universe. wink

It has a lot to do with growing up in consumer cultures. We're encouraged to think about the latest products being advertised, rather than delve into the old product lines.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Yes, that's what I mean. I would go with the FSM chronology, which says that 1960 is the date change. Though some people call "Mutiny on the Bounty" the ultimate Golden Age work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, that's what I mean. I would go with the FSM chronology, which says that 1960 is the date change. Though some people call "Mutiny on the Bounty" the ultimate Golden Age work.

Right. I'd include Mutiny in the Golden Age so that would mean the transition from Golden to Silver began in or around 1962.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    His film career started in 1941 which was the Golden Age. Yes, he progressed into the Silver Age but for 20 years or so he was composing in the Golden Age.

I mean, Miklos Rozsa was writing up until 1982... but is he not considered a Golden Age composer?

-Erik-

First of all, "The Golden Age" is a term denoting a PARADIGM, not a strict timeframe! It's as much about industrial organization as it is a type of film and a period. It is generally considered to meet its first real setback with the Paramount verdict of 1947, making an effective end to the vertical integration that made Hollywood so powerful as an industry. Plus several other things happening in post-war USA - baby boom and the introduction of TV, for example, which made families stay home with their kids rather than go to the movies.

That said, it is true that Herrmann broke through as a film composer in the tailend of this period. However, since the term is also very much about a certain STYLE of composition, it would be more fair to call him one of the first to BREAK with the Classical Hollywood paradigm, the "Golden Age" mode. It would NOT be fair to put him in the same category as the European immigrants who established the neo-romantic, symphonic style a couple of decades before he came to the scene!

OK, now we're REALLY off-topic! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    I was under the impression Golden Age was a specific (albeit a loose, un-strict) time frame. Perhaps it was the word 'age' that threw me off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    When you think about Golden Age film composers who are the names you think of... Steiner, Newman, Tiomkin, Waxman, Rozsa and Herrmann. While all of their styles were different, and yes, Bernard Herrmann managed to break from the mold, they are all still considered Golden Age film composers. While in most circles the Golden Age of Hollywood is considered to take place in the 30's and 40's but most would say that the Golden Age would continue up until 1962 with Mutiny on the Bounty. The major shift would take place with new wave of young directors and producers who would drastically change the way films were made and marketed with fresh subject matter the likes Hollywood had never seen before. This MAJOR change took place during the early 1960's and in that time there was a major shift in the sound of the Hollywood film score. As directors and producers became more experimental, so did the scores.

-Erik-
  3. I don't think of Herrmann as a Golden Age composer myself. The contracts he had in his early years, his east coast orientation, his connection to Orson Welles, and his style all kept him on the edge of that studio conveyer belt. Definitely Waxman, Steiner, Korngold (however privelleged his treatment), Newman, Tiomkin, Friedhofer, and eventually Rozsa were part of it, however.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Anthony wrote

If you think it's repetitive noise, then you clearly don't like the score, so disregard it and play something else. But don't complain about there being too much music on an album. cool

Agreed smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    One of my favourite threads is now completely off topic. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I was under the impression Golden Age was a specific (albeit a loose, un-strict) time frame. Perhaps it was the word 'age' that threw me off.

It is roughly speaking the period between the late 20's and late 40's we're talking about, but no set time frame has been established. As I said, it's just as much a description of a type of industrial organization and a standardized formal system as it is a time period.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    When you think about Golden Age film composers who are the names you think of... Steiner, Newman, Tiomkin, Waxman, Rozsa and Herrmann. While all of their styles were different, and yes, Bernard Herrmann managed to break from the mold, they are all still considered Golden Age film composers. While in most circles the Golden Age of Hollywood is considered to take place in the 30's and 40's but most would say that the Golden Age would continue up until 1962 with Mutiny on the Bounty. The major shift would take place with new wave of young directors and producers who would drastically change the way films were made and marketed with fresh subject matter the likes Hollywood had never seen before. This MAJOR change took place during the early 1960's and in that time there was a major shift in the sound of the Hollywood film score. As directors and producers became more experimental, so did the scores.

You are right about the experimentation and the proliferation of the independents in the 60's, but the decline of the socalled "Golden Age" started much, much earlier than that, as I pointed out above.

Just because Herrmann composed music within the time period and PARTIALLY within the mode of production that the Golden Age possessed, that does NOT make him a Golden Age composer by a long stretch.

For more info on the origin of the term "Golden Age" and what it consists of, I recommend Bordwell et. al. THE CLASSICAL HOLLYWOOD CINEMA and Maltby's HOLLYWOOD CINEMA.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    One of my favourite threads is now completely off topic. sleep

Good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Just because Herrmann composed music within the time period and PARTIALLY within the mode of production that the Golden Age possessed, that does NOT make him a Golden Age composer by a long stretch.

For more info on the origin of the term "Golden Age" and what it consists of, I recommend Bordwell et. al. THE CLASSICAL HOLLYWOOD CINEMA and Maltby's HOLLYWOOD CINEMA.

I still consider Herrmann a Golden Age composer. Also, thanks for the recommendations but I will stick with my assessment of the time periods.

-ERik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's true. I'm just 30 years old (31 in a month), but that apparently makes me an oldtimer here, since I like both old and new with equal gusto. A new sensation, for sure! smile

I must admit I had to chuckle when I saw Thor, the great defender of the existence of all things new, hankering for a return to old times. I too wish for it, but this message board is very much located in a post-Lion King universe. wink

It has a lot to do with growing up in consumer cultures. We're encouraged to think about the latest products being advertised, rather than delve into the old product lines.

That's sideways-y diminishing the actual value of such modern contributions and new releases of music, imo. What's wrong with that? Old classics are timeless and their value has been long established but most of those composers are either not with us anymore or not active at all today, how do you seriously expect a forum about these eras exclusively to be as active? What can you seriously talk about it ALL DAY about a score which has been acknowledged and talked about TO DEATH for many, many years before you?

New music is the evolution of the past, things proceed, things are new, experimental, challenging, refreshing. Old values are always there to support you and provide the basis but the tip of it all will always be the new creations whether some like it or not and it has nothing to do with consumerism and stuff like that, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

I still consider Herrmann a Golden Age composer. Also, thanks for the recommendations but I will stick with my assessment of the time periods.

-ERik-

That's fine. Anyone is free to make their own interpretations of things, as long as they're aware of the fact that they're doing just that (i.e. going against the established meanings and origins).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-ERik-

That's fine. Anyone is free to make their own interpretations of things, as long as they're aware of the fact that they're doing just that (i.e. going against the established meanings and origins).

Well, there are some who agree with MY assessment.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    [Well, there are some who agree with MY assessment.

-Erik-

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't make it more right. The term "Golden Age" as related to Hollywood cinema has a special origin and it has a special meaning because of that origin (I could go into that, but it would take us even more off-topic); a meaning that goes beyond a simple timeframe (whose exact year span is debatable anyway). Anyone - especially those not well versed in Hollywood history - can make any interpretations of that term as they wish (for example, I've seen many people reducing it to the success ratio of the films themselves, pr. the 'golden' term), but that doesn't make it RIGHT. Just convenient for the person in question.

I should point out that I don't necessarily think the Golden Age ended in 1947, but that it was the BEGINNING of the end. The MODE OF PRODUCTION, however, continued well into the 50's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    [Well, there are some who agree with MY assessment.

-Erik-

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't make it more right.

I never said that. It's an interpretation.

Thor wrote
    I should point out that I don't necessarily think the Golden Age ended in 1947, but that it was the BEGINNING of the end. The MODE OF PRODUCTION, however, continued well into the 50's.

Good point!

-Erik-
  4. For what it's worth, I'd say that - for me anyway - Herrmann isn't a Golden Age film music composer. Although there is an element of time in what defines a composer from this era, it's also the sound/style of the compositions that define for me what's a Golden Age score.

I suppose that it's the style of composers such as Korngold, Steiner and Alfred Newman that define the Golden Age score. Considering Herrmann again, some of his early scores (e.g., Jane Eyre, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, etc), these could be classed as Golden Age-sounding scores. But does that make him a Golden Age composer?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's sideways-y diminishing the actual value of such modern contributions and new releases of music, imo. What's wrong with that? Old classics are timeless and their value has been long established but most of those composers are either not with us anymore or not active at all today, how do you seriously expect a forum about these eras exclusively to be as active? What can you seriously talk about it ALL DAY about a score which has been acknowledged and talked about TO DEATH for many, many years before you?

New music is the evolution of the past, things proceed, things are new, experimental, challenging, refreshing. Old values are always there to support you and provide the basis but the tip of it all will always be the new creations whether some like it or not and it has nothing to do with consumerism and stuff like that, imo.

I knew I would get on someone's nerves by saying that.
    It is the system however. These companies rarely flourish by selling old stuff that happened way back when. wink

And on the question of whether a forum can flourish by focusing on the older stuff - there are forums more active than this one. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    So you wouldn't acknowledge a general decline in Newman's scoring in comparison with the afore-mentioned (and not limited to, of course) work of his? I.e. his last 5 years (or more) outcome in comparison with the pre 2003 period?

Abso-LUTELY not! Wall-E is the best score of 2008, Little Children is an absolute marvel. I can't think of another composer who has written two scores as fine as those within the last five years, and then there's Good German as well.
  6. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    So you wouldn't acknowledge a general decline in Newman's scoring in comparison with the afore-mentioned (and not limited to, of course) work of his? I.e. his last 5 years (or more) outcome in comparison with the pre 2003 period?

Abso-LUTELY not! Wall-E is the best score of 2008, Little Children is an absolute marvel. I can't think of another composer who has written two scores as fine as those within the last five years, and then there's Good German as well.

I feel there's a hidden message being flagged in the use of the word LUTELY. Can someone get the codebreakers onto it?

And can I say - I never would have thought a Brian Tyler thread would make for such interesting discussion. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I can. wink

-Erik-
  7. Agreed. Obviously he didn't include Alexandre Desplat in that extreme statement. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Agreed. Obviously he didn't include Alexandre Desplat in that extreme statement. wink

Birth could be up there.

-Erik-
  8. I was perched there, waiting for a Michael Giacchino onslaught. dizzy
    • CommentAuthordman
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited
    Um...Thomas Newman and pre-2003?

I don't know if you're counting 03 of course, but Finding Nemo and Angels in America are among his best works. Lemony Snicket is a lot of fun.

Little Children is a masterpiece. The Good German is pretty amazing as well.

Jarhead is pretty excellent too, and something different from Newman.

Towelhead was a minor work, but that had some pleasant motifs.

Wall•E is not even mentioned.

For me, none of those post-03 works come close to my favorites of his like Shawshank, Unstrung Heroes, The Horse Whisperer, Angels, and American Beauty -- but that doesn't mean that he isn't producing some of the best, most original film music today.

Of course, all of that is simply my opinion, but I feel rather strongly about it.
    Even Newman had a fair amount of ordinary scores pre-2003. American Buffalo? Red Corner? White Oleander? People v. Larry Flynt?

So far in though, I think Newman's had a fantastic start to the century. I wouldn't be surprised if his score to Revolutionary Road kicks all of our @sses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Agreed. Obviously he didn't include Alexandre Desplat in that extreme statement. wink

Well, everybody has their own views and Desplat (and Morricone and Williams!) have written some great, great stuff over the last five years, but I'd include Newman in any list of the top film composers of this period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    And on the question of whether a forum can flourish by focusing on the older stuff - there are forums more active than this one. wink

With constant discussion on how everything sucks 'cause Goldsmith isn't with us anymore?

As for Little Children being a marvellous masterpiece, talking about over-rating wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.