• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010 edited
    lp wrote
    So what would you make? I'm just curious, and I have my notebook and pen ready biggrin

I'd really have to think about it. I never did make a Sci-Fi film during my amateur movie making days. But this ID4/War of the World variety doesn't interest me... however, I did do a Saving Private Ryan rip off 10 years ago. Anywho...

lp wrote
    In case you didn't know, this movie is being directed by the Strause Brothers, the same people behind AVP: Requiem.

Oh. My. God.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010
    I'm with Thor, the film trailer looks fun enough.

On the other hand, AVP:R is one of the worst films I've ever had the misfortune to sit through...that includes Tyler's goddamn noisefest too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    In case you didn't know, this movie is being directed by the Strause Brothers, the same people behind AVP: Requiem.

Oh. My. God.

-Erik-

biggrin

Best. Character. Ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    First of all, I wouldn't make film that's a retread of ID4 and War of the Worlds. Do we really need another lame alien invasion movie where I'm sure the aliens have some stupid weakness like... oh I don't know... allergic to car pollution, seagul poop, water... oh wait, that's been done before so that must be it. Are we sure this movie isn't a spoof film directed by those douche bags who brought us Date Movie, Meet the Spartans and Vampires Suck.

-Erik-

biggrin

You just reminded me of how disgusting WAR OF THE WORLDS was.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

If Strauss, father and son, the emperors of the Waltz lived today, they'd surely change their surnames.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    First of all, I wouldn't make film that's a retread of ID4 and War of the Worlds. Do we really need another lame alien invasion movie where I'm sure the aliens have some stupid weakness like... oh I don't know... allergic to car pollution, seagul poop, water...

YES!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Y...y...you're talking about the Spielberg version, right?
    NOT the landmark 1953 version which happens to be one of my favourite films EVER? sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Spielberg thingy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    :phew:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought Spielberg's film was pretty good apart from the ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Yup!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Same here. Great film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it's the ending that ruined the whole film (plus Tom Cruise) that's why i quoted it after Erik's general comment on alien films where Aliens are allergic to another small crappy thingy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Y...y...you're talking about the Spielberg version, right?
    NOT the landmark 1953 version which happens to be one of my favourite films EVER? sad

Spielberg's film is highly entertaining and has some genuinely creepy moments, I enjoyed it enough to buy it on DVD even.

However, given a choice I'll take a lads night in with Martijn and we'd watch the classic George Pal film followed by other cvlassics like Night of The Demon all washed down with cheese & port.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Reviews of several Tyler albums

- Children of Dune
    - Darkness Falls
    - The Expendables
    - The Greatest Game Ever Played
    - The Killing Room
    - Partition
    - Rambo

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010 edited
    Gotta say... not honoring Rambo Theme and Main Title with an 'excellent track' is almost a sin wink. Also, Battle Adagio is a new theme from Tyler, not Goldsmith wink.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, there is far more James Horner in this score, than "just" a rip off of his "Legends of the Fall" music (that't the most obvious one). There is also a lot of "A beautiful Mind" in here and some nods to the "The Mask of Zorro" love theme (yes, as strange as this may sound... ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    Whatever, it's still a very good score, enjoyable and melodic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Whatever, it's still a very good score, enjoyable and melodic.

They are very good scores... Legend of the Fall and The Mask of Zorro that is... but placing those themes into your own score doesn't make your score better... it makes it worse actually. But I'm glad you like it instead of something less derivative like... oh, I don't know... Brianstorm. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited
    Legends of the fall is such a gorgeous score i can't get enough of it so yeah, i am biased; this Tyler score was a well-crafted homage however, nothing more. Still, much closer to my tastes than Brainstorm though smile shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    Again... based on what you know and like.... I'm fookin' shocked that Brainstorm isn't one of your favorites. I'm surprised that the Goldenthal fan inside of you doesn't find anything remotely interesting in Horner's score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Again... based on what you know and like.... I'm fookin' shocked that Brainstorm isn't one of your favorites. I'm surprised that the Goldenthal fan inside of you doesn't find anything remotely interesting in Horner's score.

-Erik-

It beats me too!? confused

I think D needs to relisten to the score, play it loud. I honestly can't see why anyone can't hear how great this score is? It brilliant, just brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It beats me too!? confused

I think D needs to relisten to the score, play it loud. I honestly can't see why anyone can't hear how great this score is? It brilliant, just brilliant!

That it is, although I could be without that stinger thingie in one of the tracks. I always jump sky high when that comes on - much like the sub level 3 cue from ALIENS.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. BasilB wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Well, there is far more James Horner in this score, than "just" a rip off of his "Legends of the Fall" music (that't the most obvious one). There is also a lot of "A beautiful Mind" in here and some nods to the "The Mask of Zorro" love theme (yes, as strange as this may sound... ).

I actually heard a lot more Thomas Newman in that score, didn't pick up the others you've mentioned. For a Beautiful Mind that isn't too strange (considering I hardly listen to that one), but The Mask of Zorro I didn't pick up shame
  3. BobdH wrote
    Gotta say... not honoring Rambo Theme and Main Title with an 'excellent track' is almost a sin wink. Also, Battle Adagio is a new theme from Tyler, not Goldsmith wink.

the problem is not the theme, it's the performance of the theme, it's lacking something, but I don't think it's played as strongly as I remember it on the Goldsmith scores

If it was so, it would have definitely received an excellent quotation
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010
    What do I miss about the "Expendables" score? All those (very) positiv reviews...
    I mean, I don't think, the score is bad.... but too me it sounds exchangable and routined... just some fun...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010
    BasilB wrote
    ... just some fun...

There you go. You nailed it!

-Erik-
  4. BasilB wrote
    What do I miss about the "Expendables" score?

something different for a change wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    What positive reviews? I personally think it's passable.

Brian Tyler Recording and conducting the Soundtrack of the NEW Hawaii 5-0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfOJRd8dsoc
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Fun would be to see an original premise.

-Erik-

Universal's marketing campaigns has been notoriously weak for years. Now, occasionally they'll get it right and entice people to come see their films (like Couples Retreat, Despicable Me, It's Complicated and Fast and Furious). Skyline isn't one of those, unfortunately.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog