• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I love it when a classical piece turns up in a film in a way I would never have expected it, and somehow a remarkable synergy results. We get the benefit of the most remarkable compositions ever written, and also a sense of independence / parallel motion with the film's images. The music is not yoked to the film in the way as a properly fitted score, and the freedom is often exciting.

Let's cast aside 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY for once, and concentrate on some of the other magical choices... Now keep in mind that I'm talking only about usages of classical music as underscore. (Source music - either visualised or offscreen - is a whole different game - and Walter Benjamin's 'Storm Cloud Cantata' and a certain scene involving Wagner in APOCALYPSE NOW could not be excluded from that list.) Some of my favourites follow:

1. Carl Orff's 'Gassenhauer' (aka 'Musica Poetica') for BADLANDS - turns a film about a killing spree into an unexpectedly spiritually enlightening experience. This is unassailably at the top of the list for me.

2. Richard Wagner's 'Vorspiel' from Das Rheingold for THE NEW WORLD - takes a historical epic and makes it a story about the beginning of the world. (Which it is, in an emotional/philosophical sense.) The same piece was used effectively in Werner Herzog's remake of NOSFERATU.

3. Arvo Part's 'Spiegel im Spiegel' from Tom Tykwer's HEAVEN - grants Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi a little bit of heaven on earth before the long arm of the law catches up with them. The serene piano and cello piece sits nicely alongside fellow Part composition 'Fur Alina' in the film.

4. Mascagni's 'Intermezzo' from Cavaleria Rusticanna for RAGING BULL - is it possible to feel nostalgia for Jake Lamotta's experiences in the ring? This piece suggests that it is. Also used in the closing minutes of GODFATHER III.

5. Handel's 'Sarabande' for BARRY LYNDON. The use of this piece for the nailbitingly formal duel sequence of Kubrick's film is inspired. The heavy-handed use of the music for the funeral of a key character inspired a musical joke in Michael Winterbottom's recent film TRISTRAM SHANDY: A COCK AND BULL STORY. The use of Schubert's haunting trio in the same film is another standout.

6. Richard Einhorn's VOICE OF LIGHT (writen for Dreyer's THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC) grants an air of holiness to the nuclear reactor scenes in K-19: THE WIDOW MAKER. It's hard to believe Klaus Badelt's score would have had anything near the sacred quality of this music, and it's telling that they not only used it the Einhorn piece in the most important sections of the film, but went to the trouble of including it on the soundtrack album.

7. The reworking of Ravel's 'Bolero' for key sequences of FEMME FATALE (dir: DePalma, comp: Sakamoto) and RASHOMON (dir: Kurosawa, comp: Hayasaka) also stands tall in the tradition of classical references. Both use the piece against very different scenarios.

8. There needs to be at least one Peter Weir film in here too. I'm divided between the use of Boccherini as the closing theme of MASTER AND COMMANDER, Albinoni's 'Adagio' from GALLIPOLI and the use of Gorecki in FEARLESS.

9. Technically, the use of 'Popcorn Superhet Receiver' in THERE WILL BE BLOOD is a classical reference, even though the material is used quite freely in the score of the film.

10. Bach cello suite no 5 in Bergman's film CRIES AND WHISPERS. This is pretty much the only music in the film, and boy does it leave its mark.

I've tried to restrict myself to only a couple of Kubrick and Malick references. Goodness knows within THE NEW WORLD, BADLANDS and THIN RED LINE are enough canny musical references to fill a list easily.

Special mention also goes out to the use of a short section of Arvo Part's 'Litany' for the golf range sequence of Michael Mann's film THE INSIDER. Extraordinarily unsettling in context. What an imaginative choice.

Part is a favourite with film-makers these days. I tracked 'Fur Alina' into one of my short films, and the film was lifted mightily by the association. 'Fratres' in its string orchestra/percussion incarnation was clearly the underpinning of James Newton Howard's 'Evacuation' cue in SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS. The same piece in the cello/piano incarnation eloquently accompanied the post-catastrophe sequence of THERE WILL BE BLOOD. 'Silouan's Song' gave a genuine sense of tragic weight to the closing minutes of THE GOOD SHEPHERD, a film that without it would fall far short of feeling like it had come to a conclusion. The myriad uses of 'Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten' in cinema are nigh uncountable.

And if a clever classical reference is permitted rather than a full classical piece, the prize should go to Bernard Herrmann's reference to Wagner's TRISTAN AND ISOLDE in VERTIGO.

Now if 2001 had been included, then there would have been four entries on the list alone devoted to that film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    And if a sledgehammer classical refrence is premitted, a made-in-taiwan plastic trophy should be awarded to Hans Zimmer's reference to Wagner's Siegfrieds Tot in Excalibur in Gladiator.

Good to see Barry Lyndon in there, Michael.
    Without a doubt my favourite reworking of classical material in any film.

I thought the classical references in There Will Be Blood where rather off-kilter though and distracted rather than added.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008 edited
    You got me intrigued on BADLANDS Michael, I don't remember that at all but it's been many, many years since I've seen it, I must watch it again.

I'm very disappointed you made no mention of the use of Ravel's BOLERO in the cinematic high art that is Blake Edwards '10'....shame on ya wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Indeed, EXCALIBUR is itself the occasion of some fine classical references.

Martijn wrote
    I thought the classical references in There Will Be Blood where rather off-kilter though and distracted rather than added.

It certainly made the music a noticeable presence. But they'd have to have been fools not to see that (particularly the use of Brahms at the end), so I guess it was the effect they were after.
  3. Timmer wrote
    I'm very disappointed you made no mention of the use of Ravel's BOLERO in the cinematic high art that is Blake Edwards '10'....shame on ya wink

I've never seen (the infamous) 10, actually! So I'm spared of making the choice. I do know it tried to appropriate bolero for nefarious purposes though... but that's for the thread where we start listing great music for sex scenes... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER's Da Vinci Code, HANNIBAL
    PERFUME (Klimek, Tykwer, Heil)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Did PERFUME and DA VINCI CODE use classical music? I know HANNIBAL sort-of did, with reworked versions of Goldberg Variations, Blue Danube and a Richard Strauss work.

We're after actual classical pieces here, not pieces that were written specifically for the film. (Hence no Tavener's 'Fragments of a Prayer' for CHILDREN OF MEN.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah sorry, my bad; i read "CHORAL MUSIC" instead shocked shame Then only keep Hannibal in my list and the other 2 movies of the series and substitute da vinci code and perfume with ELEPHANT.
  5. Ah yes, Moonlight Sonata....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Raging Bull... Mascagni operas, three different ones I believe. I think this is an excellent example of Scorsese's use of classical music.

Brief Encounter... David Lean's use of the Rachmaninoff 2nd Piano Concerto

Godfather Part 3... Francis Ford Coppola's use of the Mascagni Opera Cavalleria rusticana.

Amadeus... Milos Forman's use of Mozart music even though I personally was turned off.

M... Fritz Lang's use of Grieg's Peer Gynt music.

The list can go on and on and on

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Copying Beethoven; an exquisite cinematic portrayal of the genius by an amazing Ed Harris, filled with spectacular music. Never quite understood how it got so under the radar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Grieg piece In The Hall of the Mountain King has been used countless times. Birth Of A Nation, Needful Things, Rat Race, Scoop.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sdtom wrote
    Rat Race

It's in Rat Race? Where? I haven't seen that movie in AEONS!
  6. The only films that come to mind are also excellent in their use of the classical pieces.

- V for Vendetta: Tchaikovsky's Overture 1812 sends it to a rousing climax, along with my pulse raising to borderline level punk

- Fearless: Gorecki's Symphony no. 3 is it? The finale is one of the most heartwrenching beautiful marriages of sound and images my brain has ever had the pleasure of capturing. The movie will always remain a small masterpiece IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    The only films that come to mind are also excellent in their use of the classical pieces.

- V for Vendetta: Tchaikovsky's Overture 1812 sends it to a rousing climax, along with my pulse raising to borderline level punk

- Fearless: Gorecki's Symphony no. 3 is it? The finale is one of the most heartwrenching beautiful marriages of sound and images my brain has ever had the pleasure of capturing. The movie will always remain a small masterpiece IMO.

This Fearless confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    M... Fritz Lang's use of Grieg's Peer Gynt music.

Oh, what an EXCELLENT example! Yes, I agree completely: that was a magnificent and very novel use of the music where the music itself even becomes a plot device!
    Truly unexpected and very exciting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hard to believe no one mentioned one of the most obvious uses, and brilliantly so, of Wagner's Ride of The Valkyries in Coppola's APOCALYPSE NOW.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The only films that come to mind are also excellent in their use of the classical pieces.

This Fearless confused

lol

This one of course. Dude I'm disappointed you don't know this gem of a film...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

This Fearless confused

lol

Jeff Bridges IS the Dude!

well, not in that film wink
  7. Timmer wrote

I like Jet Li once in a while but he's no Jeff Bridges, which as you so eloquently put it IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE DUDE. The emotional resonance in Fearless is mostly thanks to his superb performance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I like Jet Li once in a while but he's no Jeff Bridges, which as you so eloquently put it IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE DUDE. The emotional resonance in Fearless is mostly thanks to his superb performance.

Though I don't think Bridges is underrated he is seriously under - mentioned ( <-wha da fuk shocked ) , I think he's one of America's top living actors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I was going to mention Bolero in Femme Fatale but I see Franz has already done that. Was there a Bolero in Brian May's Roadgames? I haven't seen the movie though.

How about Woody Allen's use of Prokofiev in a lot of his films. I remember one of the Lieutenant Kije pieces in Love & Death (the sex scene and other comedic parts).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

This Fearless confused

lol

I've watched it 3 times so far mate, quite an incredible story and film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

And the story, the true story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    sdtom wrote
    Amadeus... Milos Forman's use of Mozart music even though I personally was turned off.

May I ask why? I thought that the use of music in Amadeus was one of its great successes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Spend a day only listening to Mozart and exploring the true genius of his ability. Then watch the slick film, designed to make money as it should, and then tell me that the music doesn't distract you from intelligent listening.
    thomas smile
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

This Fearless confused

I mention Peter Weir's FEARLESS in my opening post! Thanks for reading! wink
    (However I did forget that brilliant reference to 1812 in V.)

And Tom, I mentioned both Mascagni references in my opening post too!
  9. Timmer wrote
    Hard to believe no one mentioned one of the most obvious uses, and brilliantly so, of Wagner's Ride of The Valkyries in Coppola's APOCALYPSE NOW.

See my opening post. If it's source music - that is, emanating from a source within the story of the film, that's not what this thread is about. APOCALYPSE NOW was given a nod from the start though.

Does noone read? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote

Does noone read? dizzy

True, but does the tree really make a noise?

...wait...what were you saying?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    Missed it Michael!! shame
    Thomas

But you forgot M and Elephant Man