• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    I was never into live RPG´s.

People who are into live roleplaying games (they're called LARPs...I could never figure out what the -A- stood for. Anti-deodorant?) in my experience (I know a few) tend to take things either far too seriously ("rule nazis", or "authenticity police") or utterly unable to properly act a role.
    I played once, maniacally overacting all over the place (imagine Doctor Doom as reimagined by BRIAN BLESSED in a huge swirling cape) and bringing an old-time flashbulb I used to utterly blind people with as a Demonic Doom of Disorientation.
    I was certain I was gonna be lynched at the end, but apart from the aforementioned nazis, I was the toast of the evening! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    I thought Ralph was talking about dressing up in armour and going into a forest to have fake battles. Really.

I was never into live RPG´s. I was more like rolling dices, listening to the Game Master and sharing laughs (and chills) with my table mates

Exactly. I never quite got the Live-RPG excitement. I always considered RPG to be about great storytelling around the campfire (or, in our case, a table full of sweets, drinks, and empty pizza boxes).

Call of Cthulhu is a fantastic game. The only reason I made the switch to WFRP was that the Warhammer RPG really was about putting everything that made CoC a success into a dark and grimming fantasy setting. The Enemy Within campaign (published specifically for WFRP) was massively successful in accomplishing that and had absolutely nothing in common with the silly miniature atmosphere of the famous Warhammer Fantasy Tabletop Game. WFRP really was CoC for Fantasy, and the EW campaign was once voted as the best RPG campaign ever, tied with a CoC campaign whose name I forgot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I always considered RPG to be about great storytelling around the campfire (or, in our case, a table full of sweets, drinks, and empty pizza boxes)

Totally true wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Desire Under the Elms - Elmer Bernstein

A budget release in everything but price (straight 30-minute LP reissue, including the original liner notes and no more) - but a great early Bernstein score!
  2. James Newton Howard - Defiance

Yes, you can download the whole media kit with the soundtrack and I am not sure if the release will be similar to this one (the titles seem generic, almost like cue sheet titles)

The score is very low-key, rather underscore-based, but with a beautiful main theme, really beautiful and some violin solos not far from The Village when it comes to style.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Tokyo Drift - Brian Tyler - the 7minute cue.

Good track. I prefer this one over purely orchestral version cause of the synth work that truly enhances the piece.
  3. Great track indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Rundown - Harry Gregson-Williams
    Still feeding a craving for South-American flavours.
    My stock is dwindling, but this'll do in a pinch.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The Rundown - Harry Gregson-Williams
    Still feeding a craving for South-American flavours.
    My stock is dwindling, but this'll do in a pinch.

UNDER FIRE?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OOOOOH!

GOOD suggestion!
    <Switching right now>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    OOOOOH!

GOOD suggestion!
    <Switching right now>

cool beer

I 'm playing some JG right now too....

NP : STAR TREK V : THE FINAL FRONTIER - Jerry Goldsmith

His 2nd best score for Trek and classy stuff ( unlike the film ) it is too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Oh yes, one of my nicest purchases recently. Bought it in Paris smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Signs James Newton Howard

I find once I've listened to an M. Night/JNH score, I'm hooked. The only scores that will satisfy my itch for more music is any one of the other M. Night/JNH scores!

Couldn't agree more, top quality.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - Defiance

Yes, you can download the whole media kit with the soundtrack and I am not sure if the release will be similar to this one (the titles seem generic, almost like cue sheet titles)

The score is very low-key, rather underscore-based, but with a beautiful main theme, really beautiful and some violin solos not far from The Village when it comes to style.

After listening to this score, I came out in favour of THE HAPPENING as the stronger of his 2008 scores. This has its moments, and hopefully the album will consolidate it by cutting some of the extra stuff, but we've heard better from the composer and from films set at this time in history. It is quite a way ahead of BLOOD DIAMOND, MICHAEL CLAYTON and KING KONG though for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Better than KONG?!?

*goes downloading*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Word to the wise: Franz has an eclectic taste... wink
  7. Word to the enlightened: Thanks. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008 edited
    NP - Gears of War - Kevin Riepl

Quite a score. Very dynamic and pulse pounding in parts, very ambient and textural in other. It's a very interesting mix here, but way better than I had anticipated. I hope Steve Jablonsky will be able to do a better job with the sequel.
  8. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Better than KONG?!?

*goes downloading*

To me, KONG was average, and when I listened to it a month ago, it had descended further into the ranks of the forgettable. wink

NP: Defiance (Newton-Howard)

What foolishness has allowed every man and his dog to download the entire score from the distributor's website? Varese Sarabande is going to be furious!

On the score, I agree with the remarks before that linked it to The Village. The cello soli are part and parcel of this grim kind of story (cf Gordon's magisterial On the Beach), and give it a darker hue as a score than Village or Snow Falling on Cedars. Note to those looking - there's almost no action music here, don't come looking for it, as it isn't here save in a couple of isolated doses. It's a drama score through and through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Better than KONG?!?

*goes downloading*

To me, KONG was average, and when I listened to it a month ago, it had descended further into the ranks of the forgettable. wink

NP: Defiance (Newton-Howard)

What foolishness has allowed every man and his dog to download the entire score from the distributor's website? Varese Sarabande is going to be furious!

Why? Are they releasing an album? If so, they've every right to be furious.

I agree with you on Kong. I tried to listen to it recently and couldn't. It has some fine points, but a lot of flaws. It's a little too obvious that so many cues are written by different people, too - you can hear the joins.
  9. Actually, it might be Decca or Sony Classical releasing Defiance, now that I think about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't care so much about them!
  10. Decca, I think
  11. Southall wrote
    I don't care so much about them!

No, we take care of our own, we soundtrack fans! wink
  12. I consider KONG to be one of Howards best "standard" achievements (compared to his more "sophisticated" stuff like the MNS scores). It has hauntingly beautiful themes, a perfect "island mystery" sound, as well as brutal and gripping action sequences. I usually prefer his MNS stuff, but I find KONG to be an amazing score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    NP:GodZilla (Arnold)

Sublime!

Stargate has the theme...but Godzilla has the rest! biggrin
  13. I think the problem with GODZILLA is that, once again, Arnold doesn't use the Bond theme nearly often enough. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think the problem with GODZILLA is that, once again, Arnold doesn't use the Bond theme nearly often enough. biggrin

biggrin
  14. biggrin
  15. biggrin (hey, why break the pattern?)

NP: Revolutionary Road (Thomas Newman)

This puts Newman back in fairly familiar territory... much like Cinderella Man felt very familiar back in 2004. Unlike that score, which returned to the glow of his Shawshank-style efforts in perhaps an overly-familiar way, this one is very much in the camp of his understated dramatic scores. The melodies are subtle and recognisably his. Strings and piano are the dominant acoustic elements - frequently trading off in patterns of piano motifs against the warm glow of string accompaniment. Those who don't like the short track madness of Wall-E and Nemo will love this - there are only 17 tracks, and 3 of them run longer than five minutes. (One is nearly ten minutes long - 'Late April'.) There's no real sense of the orchestrational style of the period (unlike in say The Good German), which tells me that Sam Mendes wants to keep his film feeling fairly modern. (I'm not sure how well that can work from a storytelling point of view, but never mind that.)

Highlights for me are the extended meditative piece 'Late April' (which some will find boring, but it slowly gathers strength in a very compelling way - I think it will be a powerful moment in the film when it turns around for the better), the ambiguous darker piece 'Beach Talk'. I think between those tracks and 'End Credits' and 'End Titles' (yes, two separate tracks), you cover pretty much most of what the score has to offer.

I don't think this score is as interesting as it could have been (even if it is another suburban drama for Newman, he makes some more interesting than others, like Little Children), and I think I like Wall-E better. But I'm always reluctant to judge a Newman score on first listen. They change a lot from the first listen to the third or fourth, and then again in the film.