• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    at least SAE has sold out and are awaiting another pressing.

shocked

OK, even with Christmas coming, I wouldn't have predicted that (the "bored of the rings" jokes are flying plentiful and fast wherever I look). That's very interesting. Would you happen to have any inkling of what the original pressing was?

Demetris wrote
    <a passionate essay>

Good stories from experience, Demetris. And you're perfectly right, of course.
    It's much my experience as well: I love to use Poledouris for any musical setting of any presentation (if needed and allowed), and I always have the most positive of feedback! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I've no idea, Martijn.

I'm sure that there are copies elsewhere but SAE doesn't have any until at least 18th December.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    sleep

Im listening Return Of the King 4 cd's...So im not totally closed to this saga. It has good things. Good moments. And some gorgeous stuff. Return is probably the complete sessions wich keeps interest in all his cd's. Ironically the first 2 cd's has the best music, and the fourth is almost letargic.

Anyway, I don't any "," from what I said about this saga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Ok....I almost have finished my Star Wars analysis.

I will beggin with Lord OF the Rings.

Wich Complete Recordings Is better listening?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Nautilus wrote

Unlike Fellowship and Two Towers, Return of the King complete kept my attention from start to finish!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    Are there some site with track by track analysis of Retur of the King sessions?
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Unlike Fellowship and Two Towers, Return of the King complete kept my attention from start to finish!

-Erik-

The Fellowship of The Ring. I still haven't managed to get through The Return of The King yet.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote

You can get a track by track analysis on the annotated score here. It's a free pdf file.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    NunoM wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You can get a track by track analysis on the annotated score here. It's a free pdf file.

punk beer
  3. Not to pour oil on the fire or anything, but I couldn't help but think that most of the reasons provided for this score's enduring power are what are referred to as 'straw man' arguments.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    #1: The Book -

Ok, so it's great because it's based on a great book?

#2: The Hobbit - Sooner or later, the prequel movie(s) will be made, and there is no doubt that WETA, some of the original cast and possibly Peter Jackson will be involved. Shore already mentioned he is toying with ideas for it, and who doubts that the oscar winning composer of the trilogy will be back for the prequel? Now The Hobbit may be a children´s book, but it has everything the trilogy had, plus a much more wicked sense of humour, the very epic battle of the Five Armies which, if done right, will be an event no movie-freak will ever forget, and then there is Smaug, probably the most bad-ass dragon ever. If Gandalf is the original wizard, Smaug is the original dragon. And young Bilbo will rock the house. This movie will probably make more money than every other movie ever did before, and there´s no chance in hell that its score will be forgotten. And if they really do the two-parter, we´ll get a complete five-part saga with one massive score. You bet it will last for eternity.

Ok, it will last forever because there might be a movie for which Shore will do another score in the same vein? Does that mean it stands less of a chance at enduring if THE HOBBIT is not made, or made with another person holding the baton? wink

#3: The score itself - ... the amount of artists involved, the variance of artists involved, the lenght of it, the many releases it got...

Who cares how many artists were involved? There was a 110-sized orchestra on Mi3 last year, and hardly anyone's talking about it now. Meanwhile Anton Karas plays one tune on a zither for THE THIRD MAN 60 years ago, and the average person probably knows it. Go figure.

And as for how many releases it got - what the hell's that got to do with anything? That's a record company's shrew licensing there! Most of the editions of each score were promotional variations on each other with trading cards and different covers desperately trying to set them apart.

If it endures, let it endure for the right reason. The music's too good for all that.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Sorry, but I doubt you really looked at what I wrote.

Ok, so it's great because it's based on a great book?

No, it will be remembered because of the book.

Ok, it will last forever because there might be a movie for which Shore will do another score in the same vein?

I think the success of the Hobbit will surpass that of the original trilogy, and so Shore´s score will be remembred by more people, yes.

Does that mean it stands less of a chance at enduring if THE HOBBIT is not made, or made with another person holding the baton?

You turn around the argument. What you say will not happen. The Hobbit will be made, and Shore will compose. If not, then it will still have #1 and 3 du support it. I gave three reasons, each of them being enough to support my point, so it won´t make a difference if one of them doesn´t happen.

But they will. biggrin

About your final arguments, it was not each thing sepeartely, but the combination of those aspects that make it so special.

OF COURSE the music is good enough to stand the test of time. But I wanted to give some reasoning beyond that matter.
  4. Martijn wrote
    I looked back and said: "These were ELVES fighting ORKS. What sort of realism did you miss exactly?"

Shut him up for the rest of the evening.
    biggrin

punk Please feel free to be considered my personal hero for that one. Screw those funcushers!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Concerning the public consciousness:

We have a very known radio station here (that really AIRS stuff in the whole country - it´s not an Internet Station purely) called Klassik Radio. They play two thirds classical stuff and one third scores. Film music is a rather serious part of their program, and they have a show from 6 to 8 pm which is centred on scores specifically.

LOTR is played (and asked for, by the audience) constantly.

This year, they made a deal with Nic Raine and the Prague orchestra, and organized a couple of concerts in Germany where they played scores only, LOTR included. They were sold out in most places, as far as I know. They will do the same again in 2008.
  5. Well, re: THE HOBBIT, unless you know something more than the vibes Peter Jackson is sending through his sympathetic press contacts this week, I reckon we don't know even if HE will make it for sure. And if he does, will he absolutely positively return to Shore if a KING KONG-like post-production press forces him to get more music than ever in a space of time quicker than Shore can write it? wink

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    About your final arguments, it was not each thing sepeartely, but the combination of those aspects that make it so special.

Well, I reckon it's got about as much to do with all that as it has to do with tea in China. It could have been done in 2 months, with half the orchestra doubling via engineering, and the result would be the same, which is all anyone cares about.

You want a real reason why they might be enduring in 50 years? If there is not an overwhelming surge of strong film music that distracts people... then that would play more of a role than anything else. As Marx said of John Stuart Mill: 'He seems like a hill, because of the flatness of the surrounding terrain.' A few mountains might make it seem less with time, but if it's all downhill from here, 'Use Well the Days' may well sound like the Golden Age of film music. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    @ The Hobbit: We´ll see. wink

@ 2 months, half the orchestra: I seriously doubt that Shore could have come up with a score even remotely close to the one he wrote in those three years, and I think it would most certainly have had an effect on the audiences reaction to the score. As a matter of fact, beside James Newton Howard, no one could do such a stunt in two months. spin

@Marx: As I said, the score doesn´t have to stand against other scores. It will be remembred because of the book. Period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … el/#Item_1

I guess the first step in proving my point has been made. punk

I will admit that producing is not directing, but Jackson´s love and enthusiasm for the material will prevail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    beside James Newton Howard, no one could do such a stunt in two months. spin

And Horner.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

And Horner.

Well, he did it. He just didn't do a good job on it (that is, if we're really talking Troy here). So, as far as I'm concerned, only James and some other people did it.
  6. JAckson is producing, not directing "The Hobbit", so it might now be Shore for the score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    1) Horner can possibly do it, but not on the same level as JNH IF JNH has a good day. Or two good weeks (which is all he needs).

2) It depends. If Jackson is a restrictive producer in the way Bruckheimer is, he might insist on a certain crew, and I doubt they will choose somebody who would go against Jackson´s preferred creative style. But yeah, it is possible we´ll get a different composer, but I would guess chances for Shore returning are at 95%.
  7. Yeah, despit a different director, the popularity of of shore's scores and CDs releases, might make the studio force Shore upon who ever directs.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Who says Peter Jackson doesn't want Shore to return? He loved his work on the Lord of the Rings films, they just had creative differences on King Kong! I'm even 100% confident he'll return on The Hobbit, and Jackson will ask him personally!
  8. BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

And Horner.

Well, he did it. He just didn't do a good job on it (that is, if we're really talking Troy here). So, as far as I'm concerned, only James and some other people did it.

You're right about that 'some other people' bit. biggrin
  9. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … el/#Item_1

I guess the first step in proving my point has been made. punk

I will admit that producing is not directing, but Jackson´s love and enthusiasm for the material will prevail.

You have won this battle, Ralph, but not the war. See you in 50 years for the final outcome. wink
  10. I´ll be there... me or my daughter! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    Well that's what i am talking about, TROY. Although he had 80% of the score ready from Yared (the bulgarian choirs, the same vocalist etc) he still delivered a hell of a score - granted the extremely short period he had to compose it in.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. New interesting project for Howard Shore:

Nerakhoon (The Betrayal)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157685/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008
    Considered he did a hell of a job on the brilliant documentary-like Looking for Richard, let's hope for something equally thrilling lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    According to this (given the site it appears at, who knows whether it's accurate) Shore will indeed compose The Hobbit for del Toro:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36215
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    It's now set in stone: Guillermo del Toro will direct both Hobbit films for MGM and New Line Cinema, with Warner Brothers distributing domestically and MGM handling international duties.

And I think it is definitely a given that Howard Shore will score the film, considering that del Toro commented on the Hellboy II forums late last week regarding his involvement with the prequels and that he wasn't locked in yet. He said something along the lines of that should he devote the next 4 years to do the prequels, he would heavily immerse himself in "the biggest making-of ever", such as watching the dailies of FOTR and ROTK and making sure that both visually and film-wise the prequels fit seamlessly into the trilogy. Which means most of the same cast, production team, and composer. (And close consultation with Jackson, Boyens and Walsh.)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog