• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorviolaone
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    It's probably been done before and probably a bit boring to some of you but can you name the scores with the highest/loudest brass playing? I'm thinking Judge Dredd, Independence Day, Godzilla, Cutthroat Island etc. etc....

Sorry if it's a crass thread spin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    AVPR
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Joel McNeely´s "Soldier"
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. First Knight punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    I heard about Soldier...have you seen the pictures they took as they'd never all been in a studio at the same time beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    violaone wrote
    I heard about Soldier...have you seen the pictures they took as they'd never all been in a studio at the same time beer

I heard about that, but never seen the pictures. Any link to see them?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    I once saw them online but can't remember where. There is a site devoted to photos of film sessions in LA but I can't remember what it's called.

HELP PLEASE!!! crazy
  2. That one?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    Exactly...thanks so much beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    violaone wrote
    I once saw them online but can't remember where. There is a site devoted to photos of film sessions in LA but I can't remember what it's called.

HELP PLEASE!!! crazy

Dan Goldwasser, the creator of that website, also posts here if you ever have any questions or feedback.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Last Starfighter, Rocky, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the Olympic Fanfare.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Krull by James Horner! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Goldenthal, Goldenthal, Goldenthal.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Goldenthal, Goldenthal, Goldenthal.

Beat me to it! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008 edited
    ...and John Barry's GOLDFINGER punk

Ballsiest opening to a score ever!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    One of my favorite cues from Star Wars, the Inner City. My jaw hit the floor when I frist heard that.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  3. Timmer wrote

I just wish the mixing was a bit better biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    The Musketeer.

ouch that's loud brass. But perfect in every way.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i'm glad i've little interest in these films
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Don't have to enjoy the films. Just the scores. punk
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    i'm glad i've little interest in these films

We're glad too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

I just wish the mixing was a bit better biggrin

The old un-"remastered" release sounds better.
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    On the subject of mixing, sound, production etc IMHO Dinosaur would have to be up there with the best...Discuss spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Dinosaur definitely had very crisp sound quality and the mixing was good too. Considering how Disney usually treats scores, I'd say most of the good stuff was on the disc too.

But by far my favourite sound quality is of the LoTR Complete Recordings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DemonStar wrote
    Dinosaur definitely had very crisp sound quality and the mixing was good too. Considering how Disney usually treats scores, I'd say most of the good stuff was on the disc too.

Still, I did pick up the 2-disc CDR boot of Dinosaur, back when I still bought CDR boots. As well-realized as the Disney CD is, I'd still like to see an expanded commercial release.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Still, I did pick up the 2-disc CDR boot of Dinosaur, back when I still bought CDR boots. As well-realized as the Disney CD is, I'd still like to see an expanded commercial release.

And the boot has pretty mediocre mixing tbh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Did it? hm, didn't notice. I guess I do miss a lot of details in mixing quality when I don't have a high-grade CD player anywhere in the house.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    DemonStar wrote

And the boot has pretty mediocre mixing tbh.

Yeah, kinda. But after all, it's a boot tongue And the quality is many times better compared to, say, the Lion King half mono boot. It's nice to have unreleased cues like Playing Monster, Aladar Meets The Herd and Enough For Everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    violaone wrote
    On the subject of mixing, sound, production etc IMHO Dinosaur would have to be up there with the best...Discuss spin

Shawn Murphy's recordings for James Newton Howard are above average. However, some of his earlier work with JNH was not so good. Outbreak sounds muffled as does The Postman. But stuff like Dinosaur, Atlantis and Treasure Planet are crisp, detailed, powerful mixes. Too bad the majority of scores Murphy records with Williams doesn't sound as good... however, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull surprisingly sounds wonderful and The Phantom Menace is one of the best recordings Murphy has done for Williams.

As for the best of the best.

- E.T. by Bruce Botnick
    - The Right Stuff/North and South recording by Eric Tomlinson
    - Monsignor by Eric Tomlinson
    - Anything by Mike Ross-Trevor - his Goldsmith recordings are top notch and his Goldsmith On Goldsmith recording is brilliant
    - Any of the Charles Gerhardt albums recorded by K.E. Wilkinson
    - Jonathan Allen's recording of Vertigo
    - Any of the new Tribute Film Classics albums
    - The early Erich Kunzel albums sound amazing

There's plenty more... but I'm sorry to say Demonstar, the LOTR trilogy recordings could have been MUCH better! I understand what they were trying to pull off but the cavernous recording doesn't help the music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    Wow, it's pretty hardcore for you guys to actually pay attention to mixers and their effects on a recording.

I'm really completely oblivious to it. I still have recordings that have terrible sound quality and couldn't care a fiddle or a stick about it. It's the music within that counts to me, and if the mixing has any influence on my enjoyment of it, it's purely on a subconscious level. But heh, maybe I can start learning a few names and start to appreciate their work.

What is it that a mixer actually do?? How is it that one is good and another sounds bad? Would you consider them artists in any way, or is it just a technical job that anyone could do?