• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    KevinSmith wrote
    I am worried about the overall approach though. It's often easy to look at something like Star Trek, forget what made it so significant, and then mock it because the whole set-up feels so quaint now. I don't think we'll see that out of this film, I'm still a little nervous that it'll go that way.

Well, few franchises have been rebooted quite as much as Star Trek has, and every time with a different look and feel. Even within the same universe, I have a hard time reconciling the original Star Trek, the movies, Next Generation and Enterprise as part of one big whole (cross-over casting, storylines and species notwithstanding). So at the end of the day I guess it's more about how well this particular spin-off will be created and whether or not the characters and events are engaging for me to appreciate it, rather than anything else.

I know it's supposed to be Kirk and Spock, but my guess is I'll look at them as completely different characters, much like -for example- the re-imeganied Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I am worried about the overall approach though. It's often easy to look at something like Star Trek, forget what made it so significant, and then mock it because the whole set-up feels so quaint now. I don't think we'll see that out of this film, I'm still a little nervous that it'll go that way.

Well, few franchises have been rebooted quite as much as Star Trek has, and every time with a different look and feel. Even within the same universe, I have a hard time reconciling the original Star Trek, the movies, Next Generation and Enterprise as part of one big whole (cross-over casting, storylines and species notwithstanding). So at the end of the day I guess it's more about how well this particular spin-off will be created and whether or not the characters and events are engaging for me to appreciate it, rather than anything else.

I know it's supposed to be Kirk and Spock, but my guess is I'll look at them as completely different characters, much like -for example- the re-imeganied Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica.

Me too. Let's face it, the first six films are completely different from the original series - the characters may have the same names as they did before but are taken to very different places. Those who are saying this new film should be more like the original series seem to forget that none of the other films were anything like the original series.