• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008 edited
    I am hoping there is not already a topic like this - there appears to be no search function in the forum and Google didn't turn up much from my quick searches. (If there is one, I profusely apologize.) But to the question...

What was your first soundtrack? What was your experience of it? When did you get it? (And any other such details you'd care to share that I left out.)

My first was an LP received as a gift either in 1977 or '78 and it was...well, can you possibly guess what it would have been? My favorite music at the time was the Main Theme (natch) and Cantina Band. As I re-listened (and re-listened...re-listened), my favour shifted to Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack and The Little People Work.

The first soundtrack I can recall actually purchasing on my own was the Raiders LP in 1981 at K-Mart. I believe I paid the princely sum of $7.94 [which I recall only because the original cellophane and price sticker remained on it for so long] and I liked the entire album. I copied it to cassette tapes to preserve the LP (in fact, I did so repeatedly as I wore the cassettes out). It was after this watershed event that my interest in soundtracks really took off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    markck wrote
    I am hoping there is not already a topic like this - there appears to be no search function in the forum and Google didn't turn up much from my quick searches. (If there is one, I profusely apologize.) But to the question...

There's a Super Search! shocked
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/search/
    Super Search!

wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Someone in my family had a weird LP with the flying theme from E.T. It was one of those fake re-recordings... it even had E.T. voice saying "oh... oh..."

I didn't no anything about filmmusic, for I was only 9 years old or so, but I really liked it. So that was my first contact with "filmmusic"...

My first real purchase was in 1990 with Total Recall, after seeing this movie I had to get the music. It was a pretty good score to start with... actually its still one of the best scores in my collection. (600+)

If I remember correctly my first soundtracks were:

Total Recall
    Star Wars (that double cd box)
    ... and then I can't remember... perhaps the Abyss.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure there's another thread on the same subject but I'm not sure if I just remember that from this board, Score Reviews or some other board???

I'll wait and see if an old thread is dug up before elaborating on anything here because I'm sure I had a conversation with Alan ( Falkirkbairn ) about Geoff Love and His Orchestra and his many Film Theme albums!?

The very first original soundtrack I bought was John Barry's GOLDFINGER, and no, I DIDN'T buy it on it's release in 1964. wink

The first original score I bought that was a brand new release was Williams JAWS in 1975.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    I just performed a Super Search! here and didn't come up with anything. I also remember a topic on this, but I haven't been around this forum very long, so it was most likely on Score Reviews. (For all I know, I may have started it. I tend to start topics like this.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    markck wrote
    I just performed a Super Search! here and didn't come up with anything. I also remember a topic on this, but I haven't been around this forum very long, so it was most likely on Score Reviews. (For all I know, I may have started it. I tend to start topics like this.)

Fair' nuff! This topic it is then! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    markck wrote

Every message board has one or twenty of these topics.

Anyway, my first soundtrack EVER was a cassette copies of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. My first ever CD was a birthday present given to me by my brother and sister; Schindler's List.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    My fisrt soundtrack album was the double LP by Morricone called Film Music 1966-1987.
    Then a year later I bought Young Sherlock Holmes on tape as my first soundtrack tape. Four years later I got my first CD player and my first soundtrack CD was Chaplin by John Barry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In my opinion which is usually in the minority on this board it is fine by me to start a new thread. We've all talked about this before but it is fun to discuss it again. In fact in my latest column I talked about my first two lp purchases. I sure was excited!
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/performing-music/
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    My first soundtrack was The Rock by you-know-who. I think I bought it in '98 or '99. (Yeah, I'm a newbie when it comes to soundtracks smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The first scores that got me interested in film music were Batman, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Tombstone. The first soundtrack I ever owned though would have to go to Mortal Kombat, the original soundtrack, not the score. Yeah, that's embarrassing. Hey! I was 7 and really wanted the Mortal Kombat theme!!!!!! punk

I just saw that they are making another Mortal Kombat due for 2010. Yikes! Though, this could be fun...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    My very first was a cassette of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Yes the one with 13 minutes of amazing John DuPrez score and then a bunch MC Hammer and Technotronic oddities. A Christmas present in 1992.

Weird, but it got the ball rolling. In the following two years I started amassing a small collection of other soundtrack on tape (Temple of Doom, A New Hope, Batman 1 & 2, Prince of Theives, Addams Family, etc.) and then on Christmas of 1994 I got my first CD player, along with my very first CD: Stargate.

But to this date I'm still wishing and hoping for an extended Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles score... *sigh* Can anyone find something more beautifully evil than Shredder's magnificent theme in that movie? Luckily it's one of the only score tracks on the soundtrack.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. The first soundtrack was Backdraft It was at that time I finally realized I was crying at the end of the movie due to Zimmer's score

Before I already listened to Back to the Future, Superman and Return of the Jedi on those old cassette tapes (remember it bro? wink ) but it was Backdraft that finally made me go for it as well. I know that day still well, I was counting away the minutes in school and immediately unwrapped it when I jumped in the car

So curious as 15 years later, here I am smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My first one was probably The Lion King. Not because I wanted it (and I'd never heard of Hans Zimmer before), but simply because it was Disney..and back in the day Disney was God.
  2. Anthony wrote
    My first one was probably The Lion King. Not because I wanted it (and I'd never heard of Hans Zimmer before), but simply because it was Disney..and back in the day Disney was God.

and now, what is Disney? Anti God? smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    The very first score I ever owned was a compilation of Miklos Rozsa with pieces from Ben-Hur,El Cid and King of Kings and it was bought to me by my father.The first scores I bought were The Last of the Mohicans and Braveheart.
    Having Rozsa as my first listen of score music was an awsome experience!As it was some weeks later the listening of the other two scores!I still remember the feeling.I get it every time I listen to a score I like!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote

See "now playing". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    My first film music album was a Boston Pops LP with John Williams conducting music from Superman, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes back, and Close Encounters.

My first actual score was the LP for E.T., which I bought the day it came out in Germany.

Yes, I am old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote

Contrary to what we might think, I don't think Disney changed nearly as much as we think.

It's us. We change. When we were little we were completely oblivious to the marketing aspect of Disney and its sell-out policies. When grown, that's all we can see.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    My first film music album was a Boston Pops LP with John Williams conducting music from Superman, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes back, and Close Encounters.

My first actual score was the LP for E.T., which I bought the day it came out in Germany.

Yes, I am old.

Please don't say that......some of us started earlier than that! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Watching that film in 1990 made me want to go to YOSEMITE, lucky I was watching it in LA so I went to Yosemite within two days with that music playing in my head. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    Timmer wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Yes, I am old.

Please don't say that......some of us started earlier than that! wink

Yeah!

(Especially people who bought Goldfinger when it came out - whatever they might say to the contrary. tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Watching that film in 1990 made me want to go to YOSEMITE, lucky I was watching it in LA so I went to Yosemite within two days with that music playing in my head. cool

Me too, though it took me 11 years rather than two days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    IIRC, my first was Williams' Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    My first one was Batman by Danny Elfman. Still listen to it regularly.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  3. The Lion King, then The Rock.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Rian wrote
    My first one was Batman by Danny Elfman. Still listen to it regularly.

sweet! another batman!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    My first record album I ever bought (at the age of 10 or 11) was Close Encounters of the Third Kind followed by Jaws and The Empire Strikes Back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You know what? I seriously don't remember!

But here's my story:

http://celluloidtunes.net/howigotinto.htm
    I am extremely serious.