• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    your kidding of course

No, I'm not.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    sdtom wrote
    your kidding of course

No, I'm not.

It's definitely worth watching the original pawel, after all those decades it's still very entertaining despite how archaic it looks and it's a film that has heart, and of course, those early ground breaking special effects that so influenced Ray Harryhausen and in turn the likes of Stan Winston, Dennis Muren, Phil Tippet etc etc.

The 1976 remake is very cheesy though it's probably the only film that the World Trade Center has a starring role ( at least where it's nothing to do with 9/11 ), and of course it has a fantastic score by John Barry.

Peter Jackson's recent remake is visually stunning, quite an entertaining romp mostly, but boy is it long winded and overblown.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    If I want to write great music, I've no right to be working in a film studio.
    Alfred Newman
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    Hollywood music is very nearly a public communication, like radio
    George Antheil
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The above quote is more appropriate to the older scores
  2. Hmm, possibly. Though modern scores are more understandable and accessible to modern audience, so if Hollywood music of Golden Age was radio, then today it would be... like internet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    very likely.
  3. Think of it. Not only easier accessibility, but also lower content control.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008
    some of this newer material is so generic sounding, sorry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    markrayen wrote
    From a recent discussion with this years Oscar-nominated composers at hollywoodreporter.com:

Shore: I asked an illustrator how he creates so much, and he said, "Just keep the pencil moving." Just toil. Keep the pencil moving. It's so simple. As long as your pencil is moving, you are working. If it's moving, you feel a sense of accomplishment. Even if it's not very good, you feel it's moving.

Elfman: Do you ever feel like you are working on an equation?

Shore: It's a cumulative process, writing music. "The Lord of the Rings" scores took almost four years to write, but it felt like 40 years because it took a lot of time for me to learn how to write that much music in that time frame, to be able to do it and orchestrate it. It's a cumulative effect that allows you to write and open up under pressure, under deadlines. It's just the experience and the cumulative energy of doing it all those years.

Elfman: What do you do when you put that bucket down the well and you don't hear the water?

Shore: You keep the pencil moving.

Thanks! I love this one. punk It's exactly what I need right now.
    As a matter of fact I just emailed it to all my co-students because we are all struggling with our essays and it's exactly the same with writing. Don't stare at the screen (what I have been doing for two days now) but simply keep writing. Good or bad, it doesn't matter, keep going.
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It would be interesting to start a thread on the writing process but I don't want to be bashed again.
  4. I don't think you would, at least not on my side, Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Convince the Nazi thread patrol of the same. I've learned my lesson
  5. sdtom wrote

That's what I said with lower content control. A lot online is generic and written just because one can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not sure about I'll keep the pencil moving
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    sdtom wrote

True... but it sounds cool! lick moon tongue
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    I don't believe in the "pencil moving" method as a water proof formula, but I know it can be helpful when you feel lost. After all, the more you write, the more you learn about the challenges you are facing and what it is you really wish to achieve with what you're doing. By keeping the pencil moving you are essentially finding the right solution through the elimination method - you keep eliminating one wrong solution after the other untill you get the right thing! Jerry Goldsmith said it best:

"The creative process is always the same; you basically keep putting things down untill you get the right thing."
  6. Zimmer stated the same saying that he just plays around with notes and that the best material comes when you don't think about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2008
    I don't think it can apply in writing. If I fiddle with letters it just makes it worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It may sound a bit corny to put one of your own quotes in here, but what the hell. This is a "mantra" of mine that I even have at the bottom of my own site www.celluloidtunes.net :

"...The purpose of a soundtrack album is not to retell the film musically, but to recommunicate its music musically...."
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just out of curiosity, what you think about the complete and chronological soundtrack albums to the Star Wars trilogy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Just out of curiosity, what you think about the complete and chronological soundtrack albums to the Star Wars trilogy?

The RCA ones? I have them, but don't listen to them much. To me, the Arista box is the ultimate presentation. Expanded from the Gerhardt recordings, but not as much as the RCA ones. Perfect middle ground. Granted, even the Arista box could have been slightly re-arranged for listening, but it works OK in its current format.

In short: the Arista box is one of the exceptions, wherein an expansion and partial film chronology work.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've never known anyone to care about it so much to be honest! dizzy

I've never really thought about it too much myself. If an album is good, then that's great. If there's more great music missing from the film, then I'd like to hear that too. If I've seen the film and enjoyed it and the album is not in chronological order, then I usually make my own playlist. I love hearing a film retold musically. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "I couldn't care less about aging, as long as it is scored properly." - Ralph Kruhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    "I couldn't care less about aging, as long as it is scored properly." - Ralph Kruhm

cool

Ralph takes his seat in the hall of giants. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Exactly Thor. We're in 100% agreement on this one. If the film is successful and the music melds into it to enhance it has done the job and the composer should be paid well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thor wrote
    It may sound a bit corny to put one of your own quotes in here, but what the hell. This is a "mantra" of mine that I even have at the bottom of my own site www.celluloidtunes.net :

"...The purpose of a soundtrack album is not to retell the film musically, but to recommunicate its music musically...."

I don't care if it's your quote or a famous composer's quote; it's still a good one! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And of course to sell, sell, sell!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2008
    sdtom wrote

We have...NAZIS here?!?! shocked Where do i sign up? biggrin tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote

We have...NAZIS here?!?! shocked Where do i sign up? biggrin tongue

Down the corridor to the left, past the "Indy Will Kick Deine Butt" lecture room.