• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    For one, I couldn't stand listening to The Incredibles for more than 5 minutes when it first came out. In my eyes it was just an incredibly (forgive the pun) silly and loud brassy mess. I've no idea what came over me though - I probably didn't listen to it for a year, and then after seeing the movie, I was shocked at how much I liked it. One of my all time favourite scores now!
  1. I think in that case you should ask yourself:

When listening to the score, are you associating it with images from the film and/or emotions felt from those scenes? If the answer is yes, then the CD is pretty much worthless if it can't be appreciated without seeing the film, as the score isn't strong enough to hold it's own.

Two of my absolute favorite Goldsmith scores were ones I didn't care for on the first couple listens. One of those was the rejected 1992 boxing film, "Gladiator".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wouldn't say the score to The Incredibles needs the movie as it is a brilliant stand alone effort too. I just found it really cheesy and over the top when it first came out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I can remember hating Leonard Rosenman's 1978 Lord Of The Rings when I first bought the album in 1983. I thought it would be more like Star Wars or something.
    I played it a couple of times but just didn't like it.
    Then (for whatever reason?) I bought the expanded CD in 1993 and grew to really love it!
    I think I thrashed it for about 2 years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    You're all going to laugh probably, but at first I didn't like Bourne Identity a bit. Just sounded noisy... After some extreme listening, then came Supremacy and Ultimatum, and now they're some of my favourites. smile Same with Batman Begins, it's a strange score, and I took me 10 listens or more before I actually started to love it.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why would we laugh? confused I don't think anybody really like Identity when it first came out. But when Supremacy was released, it gave Identity a new life in a way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Prince of Tides. In the beginning I thought it was a masterpiece. Now I consider it less than average
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You mean the JNH one? I haven't listened to that for years, and only then did I listen to it once. I remember it being very saccharine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I felt there was some merit because it did get an Oscar nomination. You're right beet sugar all the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Prince of Tides. In the beginning I thought it was a masterpiece. Now I consider it less than average

I still thinks it is JNH's best next to Grand Canyon.
    Anyway, the score that I changed my opinion on was The Four Feathers by Horner. At the first 2-3 listens I didn't find anything interesting in it. But by now it has really grown on me and I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE FOUR FEATHERS is one of the most heartfelt and overlooked scores by HORNER imo. Same goes for ALL THE KING'S MEN
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    sdtom wrote

Really? Wow. I'd say his Shyamalan scores (or when he's in "Shyamalan mode", ala I Am Legend and Defiance) are by far his best scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE FOUR FEATHERS is one of the most heartfelt and overlooked scores by HORNER imo. Same goes for ALL THE KING'S MEN

What really puts me off Four Feathers is the wailing man this time! slant

All The King's Men is a wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    keky wrote
    sdtom wrote

Really? Wow. I'd say his Shyamalan scores (or when he's in "Shyamalan mode", ala I Am Legend and Defiance) are by far his best scores.

Couldn't agree more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I haven't heard Defiance but I usually like JNH when he writes emotional themes and The Prince of Tides is full of them. That is one of my very first scores and I still listen to it regularly. I don't really like his Shyamalan's mode, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    I don't really like his Shyamalan's mode, though.

Must.try.not.to.panic.!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Surprising you don't like his Shyamalan scores when you like his emotional themes. Signs, The Village, Unbreakable and Lady in the Water have some of JNH's best emotional writing. 'The Great Eatlon' from Water is an extremely powerful cue and a contender for my favourite JNH cue ever.

Unfortunately none of this has anything to do with the topic title as I loved each one the first time I heard them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's what i wanted to say; his Shyamalan material contains the vast majority of the most emotional stuff JNH has written so far; but i panicked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Yes, there are some nice emotional cues in his Shyamalan scores but most of the time the rest is too low-key for me. But that's just me, I am one who still thinks that Shyamalan's best movie is Wide Awake (with his best score by Edmond Choi)...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    Yes, there are some nice emotional cues in his Shyamalan scores...

There's an understatement if ever I heard one! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008 edited
    I used to like Star Wars (the original), but now I hate it. It´s way overrated.

wink Couldn´t resist. I´m sorry. Really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Signs and Fugitive are excellent. While I soured on this one score it doesn't mean I've done so on the composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Ah, The Fugitive. He captured the feel of Chicago so well.

One of the greatest movies ever IMO.

JNH is not a composer I had to grow on at all.

Four Feathers is a brilliant score. Its length was intimidating at first but has become easier and easier to listen to straight through. Yes, not the greatest movie ever, but it was a powerful hit to me. I read the book and I'm dying to see the original now. Poor Ledger... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote

I'm a MUCH bigger fan of his "open adventure" scores, with no hold barred, like Dinosaur, Atlantis, Wyatt Earp, Peter Pan, Waterworld and Diggstown.

Okay I'm kidding with that last one. But you know what I mean. That's the JNH that makes me flip my top. His "Shyamalan" mode is extraordinary (if we stay away from The Sixth Sense) but still doesn't send me bouncing off the walls like his adventure does.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I enjoy both equally in all honesty, but for different reasons. I just feel as though his Shyamalan scores are his more intelligent and original scores, therefore better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008 edited
    A score that went from bad to good: Die Hard with a Vengeance. It was the very first "barely thematic" score of my collection. One that relies on textures and motives rather than strong themes. Everything I'd previously collected was focused on strong themes. And after Robin Hood and The Three Musketeer, I was hungry for more thematic Michael Kamen. What originally compelled me to get this CD was hearing the score in the movie.
    Now, please laugh at me if you will, but I grew up with no awareness at all of that famous song "The Ants go Marching One by One". So when this hugely powerful arrangement of that theme played in the film to accompany the bank heist, I was convinced that this was part of the original score!! I HAD to have this music!! And of course imagine my huge disappointment when it wasn't on the CD. Just this suspense mishmash, and barely 25 minutes of it.
    Well needless to say that throughout the years this "mishmash" has become some of my favourite thriller music and my favourite of the three Kamen Die Hard scores.

Now an example of good-to-bad: early in my collection I went on an Alan Silvestri binge. I grabbed everything I could with his name on it, and there was a LOT of it readily available. I worshiped everything I got until I did a Silvestri overdose. Essentially everything I got during that period I eventually grew to hate. Death Becomes Her, Father of the Bride, Judge Dredd, all that stuff, and even parts of the Back to the Future scores... It wasn't until I got my hands on Who Framed Roger Rabbit that I was able to stomach Silvestri again. Then The Mexican, The Mummy Returns, Mousehunt and Van Helsing came about and I was back on the Silvestri wagon.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HeeroJF wrote
    that famous song "The Ants go Marching One by One".

Or indeed, as known throughout the rest of the world, "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I enjoy both equally in all honesty, but for different reasons. I just feel as though his Shyamalan scores are his more intelligent and original scores, therefore better.

True. More elegant as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    that famous song "The Ants go Marching One by One".

Or indeed, as known throughout the rest of the world, "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".

Actually, before I made that post I had to look up that song to know its name. I found evidence of both the "ants" and "Johnny" titles on Wikipedia, so I really didn't know which one to use! Like I said, I really have no native cultural tidings to this song at all. In the end I deferred to John Powell and HGW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

True. More elegant as well.

Oh, I actually agree! "More intelligent", "more elegant", all too true. The Village blows the elegance out of any other score's pants.

But does that necessarily make them "better"? That is extremely debatable! Personally I say no, because these other adventure scores are just so much more fun!