• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    Well, I'm a geek when it comes to films and film scores. But that's about it. I don't read comic books or sci-fi novels, and I certainly don't know anything about the back story of Batman's uncle's cousin's dog.

I'd love to call myself a science geek, but unfortunately I don't know enough. But I do have a healthy interest in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, it's so much easier for me: I'm a universal geek.
    I know everything about everything. spin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Incidentally, Batman's uncle's cousin's dog's name is Ace, and he was the first batdog.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    Incidentally, Batman's uncle's cousin's dog's name is Ace, and he was the first batdog.

lol
  1. Since I also post in the Jedi Council Forums of TheForce.net, I must admit my nerd status.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    ARGH. The Han Solo trilogy...almost, but not quite as bad, as the Boba Fett trilogy Bantam squezzed out in the last 45 seconds of them holding the franchise. slant

There's a lot of things worthwhile in the expanded universe (The Zahn trilogy, Courtship Of Princess Leia, the X-Wing novel series and yes, I'm a Kevin J. Anderson apologist: I really liked Jedi Search and Darksaber) and a load of stinkers (anything by a former Trekkie novel writer).
    So tread carefully.

I found the Han Solo trilogy (the last two at least) easily to be among the top 5 Star Wars works I've ever read. Captured the essence of the character and filled in gaps in his backstory with an aplomb and wit beyond all my wildest expectations. I don't know what turned you off about them but there are clearly different schools of thought even within this fandom. It's illustrated more vividly than anything by your appreciation of Anderson's style, which I found patronizing.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

shocked shocked shocked

shockedshockedshockedshockedshocked

shockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked

Brian Daley's trilogy got the character right.
    Crispin -a former Trekkie novel writer...do I sense a pattern developing here?- 's trilogy was just...well... there to fill up some planetary background. God, what a boring piece of trivial pursuit that was. The Sybok...ermm... Solo's half-brother plot really got my hackles up.
    No, it was books like that that rung in the last round for the "running around the galaxy, shooting Imperials" kinda fun Star Wars used to be, and hailed in the new canon "needs to fit, and setting up for another franchise run" style.
    Pffff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    The Sybok...ermm... Solo's half-brother plot really got my hackles up.

I'm confused.
    That was the Corellian Trilogy...which is pretty shitty as well.
    Stick with Daley: he knows how to write an actual adventure novel!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The Sybok...ermm... Solo's half-brother plot really got my hackles up.

I'm confused.
    That was the Corellian Trilogy...which is pretty shitty as well.
    Stick with Daley: he knows how to write an actual adventure novel!

Yes. Thrackan Sal-Solo... now there's a character who came out of nowhere!! I think the Corellian Trilogy was a great single book stretched unnecessarily across three tedious books. *yawn* Same for the Black Fleet Crisis.

Good lord, Brian Daley's books. I'll give you that: there were great adventure novels, and characters like Gallandro are really up there in terms of coolness... But they fit in the saga like Alien3 fits in the Alien series. The Han Solo Adventures were fairly good stand-alone books, but terrible Star Wars books, if you see what I mean. Basically those adventures didn't have to have happened to Han Solo at all: it could've been any other space bum. I'd say the same thing about the Lando adventures: they were AMAZING stories (better than the Han Solo ones) but they really could've happened to anybody.

I see your point about "needs to fit," and that's exactly the bush I'm barking right now with those arguments, I realize. But what can I say: I'm a sucker for continuity. I get this super happy fuzzy feeling inside when I read something that makes me go "ohhh cool!!! This was introduced 14 novels ago by a completely different author!!" For example: the appearance of Rogan Ismarek in NJO was the most surprising bit of resurging continuity that excited me nearly to arousal levels.

It may sound "cheap" to just recycle old things, but I look at it another way: if these characters and species and plotpoints and concepts were really as cataclysmic and monumental as the original author intended them to be, then they wouldn't just lie down and never be heard of again. They WOULD come back. I'm just so happy when they do. Including when it happens retroactively (as in Crispin's books).
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote

I'm the goddam Batdog.
  2. and I am Spartacus!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I'm Brian!
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
  4. Anybody interested in the upcoming MMORPG, The Old Republic? As a player of Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, and Guild Wars, I´m ready to try an SF game, but I´m undecided between SW or ST... the next couple of months may give us more hints... both projects look promising, but I´ve always dreamt about working on a Federation Starship (not wearing a red shirt, of course).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    (not wearing a red shirt, of course).

Naturally.
    Working as an officer on Vader's flagship is much safer!
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008 edited
    You´re so right. smile I find your teachings of faith exciting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    So... Who is everyone's favorite Star Wars character? For me, it's gotta be either General Grievous or Aldar Beedo. (Whoever actually knows who the latter is gets a cookie! tongue)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    Yoda. Without a doubt, the original puppet Yoda. He's The little green Man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Nerds?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nerds?

Hey! slant I only do that on Sundays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nerds?

Ouch...sad and funny at the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Star Wars Rocks!!! I love it all, all the music, everything!!! and yes even Jar Jar.

smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    I'm NOT Spartacus
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Nerds?

WTF? confused

Is it Star Wars related? If it is, I don't see it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nerds?

WTF? confused

Is it Star Wars related? If it is, I don't see it.

No, but it's very NERD-related.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Oh I see it then! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009
    Steven wrote
    Yoda. Without a doubt, the original puppet Yoda. He's The little green Man!

Call me a traitor, but I actually like the CGI Yoda (somewhat). shame
  7. The only redeeming quality there is in CGI Yoda, is the ability to kick major A$$!!!!!

But the old puppet one has so much more life in it, I mean just look in Jedi to some of the expressions it makes, it wipes the floor with any fake expression the computerized one makes...

I always found Yoda's death scene extremely touching because how they managed to make a piece of plastic die convincingly. I don't feel anything if CGI Yoda gets upset or sad! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009 edited
    Agreed. The reason I think it was a mistake for them to use a CGI Yoda is Frank Oz's voice was not the only thing that allowed audiences to emotionally invest in a short, ugly, green little Jedi master. It was the movements he made with the puppet, the expressions on the puppet's face. Because we knew it was real, something physical for the other actors to react to, we accept him as being much more real in the old ones than we do when CGI Yoda came along.

That's why I cannot stand the new CGI Yoda! They took away his soul!! cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009
    Steven wrote
    Agreed. The reason I think it was a mistake for them to use a CGI Yoda is Frank Oz's voice was not the only thing that allowed audiences to emotionally invest in a short, ugly, green little Jedi master. It was the movements he made with the puppet, the expressions on the puppet's face. Because we knew it was real, something physical for the other actors to react to, we accept him as being much more real in the old ones than we do when CGI Yoda came along.

That's why I cannot stand the new CGI Yoda! They took away his soul!! cry

true sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt