• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008 edited
    BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE

a. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON

b. CLINT EASTWOOD CHANGELING

c. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD DEFIANCE

d. A. R. RAHMAN SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

e. HANS ZIMMER FROST/NIXON

-> http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/104
  1. Hmm, interesting. Golden Globes were always better than Oscars in the end. I am rooting for Hans or James here. May change after I hear the Desplat.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    Defiance is the only one there that I have heard and probably the only one I'm interested in from that list (with the possible exception of The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, which I am looking forward to hearing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Clint Eastwood nominated? Again? As much as I like him as an actor and director, seeing him nominated as a composer is always really weird.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've not heard B or D, but I'd vote for JNH any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote
    Clint Eastwood nominated? Again? As much as I like him as an actor and director, seeing him nominated as a composer is always really weird.

It's the "guest film composer" phenomenon. Award agencies always tend to cream their pants whenever a renowned and beloved artist known for something else than film music improvise themselves film composers. They go: "zomg, this legend is actually deigning to grace us with a film score!!! Let's shower them with praise, regardless of whether they show evidence of knowing how to score a film or not!! Step aside Doyle, Goldenthal and otherwise established film composers who actually do this by trade, these guest film composers deserve all our attention!!"

That's how Gustavo Santaolalla, Phillip Glass, Elton John and Clint Eastwood end up with guaranteed nominations. In the end, the voters are just as blindsided as the public. They want to see "big names" on there, and in their opinion "James Horner" just isn't a big name.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You are seriously NOT teaming Philip Glass with Santaolalla, Elton John and Clint Eastwood, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote

It's the "guest film composer" phenomenon. Award agencies always tend to cream their pants whenever a renowned and beloved artist known for something else than film music improvise themselves film composers. They go: "zomg, this legend is actually deigning to grace us with a film score!!! Let's shower them with praise, regardless of whether they show evidence of knowing how to score a film or not!! Step aside Doyle, Goldenthal and otherwise established film composers who actually do this by trade, these guest film composers deserve all our attention!!"

That's how Gustavo Santaolalla, Phillip Glass, Elton John and Clint Eastwood end up with guaranteed nominations. In the end, the voters are just as blindsided as the public. They want to see "big names" on there, and in their opinion "James Horner" just isn't a big name.

I fear you have hit the nail on the head. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    *cough* Philip Glass? Srsly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    You are seriously NOT teaming Philip Glass with Santaolalla, Elton John and Clint Eastwood, right?

In that they're not film composers by trade, no one could argue that, it's just a fact. They're artists that made names for themselves with musical media other than film. (or in Eastwood's case, a non-musical media altogether)

Their output is on a different level, sure.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If you look it that way, then yes. But comparing the musical quality of their film music outcome with Philip Glass is actually retarded. But i am sure you didn't mean that, just the first aspect you clearly clarified above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008 edited
    Of course I didn't mean that. Santaolalla and Glass are two very different kinds of bad film composers. Because make no mistake I don't think either of them are very good at it. They all too clearly compose music that stems from their heritage. Santaolalla scores like a guitarist and Glass like a classical artist. Neither of which is "real" Steiner-like film music. It fits the film, but just barely. It's like asking Salvador Dahli to tapdance. Clearly a superlative painter and a genius, but he has no business trying to steal Fred Astaire's job.

And Eastwood, well he scores kinda like John Carpenter. Just happens to be for higher-class movies. Usually gets Niehaus to write him a theme and then pads around it with atmospheric textures.

I'm sorry if I upset you but I can't be sorry for speaking against the bad name Philip Glass is giving "real" film composers in the uneducated neophyte mind. Not after hearing critics on the Matrix commentary track actually call Don Davis' score uninspired and bland, and "if they'd gotten someone like Philip Glass, it would've been so much better," clearly proving that Glass was simply the only name they knew and were making that statement not out of musical expertise but simply because they knew it's a well-respected classical name and were trying to sound smart.

If an non film music person decides to suddenly write for film they have to embrace it, take the plunge and never look back. Like Randy Newman. He the man. punk
  2. I think The Hours worked wonders in the film. And is a great album.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Haven't got that one yet. I think I have only a couple Glass scores, one of which is Kundun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Is this award for best score of 2008, or best score of December 2008?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The score Glass wrote for Dracula was excellent
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    Is this award for best score of 2008, or best score of December 2008?

LOL! There's rarely a difference, is there? Perhaps that's why Passion of the Christ was never awarded anything. Came out at the wrong time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Now these are the best and most reasonable nominations I've seen this year! I haven't heard Changeling but there's a tough competition between Desplat, JNH and Zimmer. Slumdog Millionaire is nice but IMO not as good as these three. I'll be happy with whoever of those three wins! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    CCBB will win easily
    listen to more classical music!
  3. personally I've yet to hear all of them (except for Desplat which was too soft for me, but will be extremely nice in the picture)

As always the Globes present a much fairer selection than the Oscars, which is all about selecting the score upon which movie it supports, so expect to see at least 2 max of these at the Oscar selection (Desplat and Eastwood more than likely)

Not bad list, considering I've heard nice things about the scores
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    Haven't got that one yet. I think I have only a couple Glass scores, one of which is Kundun.

That's why you have this opinion about Glass. Tomorrow i'll show you a small list of scores that will probably make you toss away the negative view you have on Glass. He has written FILM MUSIC better than the largest bunch of youngsters who call themselves film composers in our days ever did or will ever be able to do. He has influenced many. His sound is everywhere, including film music. And Glass isn't a "classical" composer; he's one of the fathers of minimalism, a genre already inherited long ago in film music itself and through the hordes of younger composers using parallel musical routes along with Newman-isms, he's more into what you hear eveyday than what you think he is or actually perceive. He's one of the most influential composers of our times and that is also valid on a very large portion of the pure film music outcome too.

As for the idiotic comment on the Matrix scores and which you mention, i can assure you that very few Glass fans actually share such retarded views on music; it probably came from a snobby journalist or something, an otherwise irrelevant individual to the musical universe as a whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote

Check out The Truman Show, The Secret Window, and Dracula. Three great scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the idiotic comment on the Matrix scores and which you mention, i can assure you that very few Glass fans actually share such retarded views on music; it probably came from a snobby journalist or something, an otherwise irrelevant individual to the musical universe as a whole.

They were film critics. The Wachowsky brothers actually hired a team of critics to provide an audio track commentary blabbering about all the tons of supposedly good reasons why they hated the later two films. Pretty gutsy move on the Wachowskys' part! I would've been almost amused by it were it not for the inane musical comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I knew it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love a lot of Glass's music but I don't think he's a very good film composer. You could point to Kundun as an exception but there are several times when I've seen a film he scored and the music took me right away from what the filmmakers were trying to do. Applying such a singular voice to a traditional narrative in a dramatic film is very dangerous, and I don't think it works. (Of course, it's a different story in his 'qatsi stuff!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE HOURS
    FOG OF WAR
    Cassandra's Dream
    KUNDUN
    the -QATSI trilogy
    Notes on a Scandal
    The Illusionist
    SECRET WINDOW
    TRUMAN SHOW

I can't understand how anyone could consider these inferior (in any way) examples of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I haven't seen all those films but of the dramatic ones, I like all the music but find Glass an inherently bad film composer - his sometimes very subtle, and sometimes completely invisible, lack of real shifts in mood just doesn't suit film. It's been a while since I saw it but I thought The Hours in particular suffered from that. What wonderful music it is - and it destroys the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I find it ironic that some of the nominated films have yet to open in the theaters.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    I haven't seen all those films but of the dramatic ones, I like all the music but find Glass an inherently bad film composer - his sometimes very subtle, and sometimes completely invisible, lack of real shifts in mood just doesn't suit film. It's been a while since I saw it but I thought The Hours in particular suffered from that. What wonderful music it is - and it destroys the film.

That, right there, sums up my thoughts on a "concert composer" (if you prefer that term to "classical") trying to improvise himself film composer. Although Glass has accumulated significant film experience by now, I really do think he takes with him too much of the concert hall conceits, and I could never, in a million years, imagine him score a film like Gladiator or Star Wars. Or else he would, and ruin them. He would ruin them with perfectly great and critically acclaimed concert hall-grade music, true, it would nevertheless be to the films' detriment.

The only film on the list above that I have on CD and have seen is The Truman Show. One of my favourite films. And too true, the uniqueness of its score has a lot to do with my appreciation it. But Glass' contribution to that score is so minimal, is it really a good judge?

I'll agree that Philip Glass is a film composer only if he agrees to stick to the very limited pallet of films that work for him. He's not a versatile artist like Goldsmith or Horner who can take on any genre. We determined in another thread that the ONLY priority of a film composer is to the film: that he must bend to and suit the film's demands. Glass cannot do that. For him, it's the other way around. When you hire Glass it's because you know you have a film that you've bent to suit Glass' demands.