• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011
    I think they're all for stuff he actually worked on (though a lot are for arranging, not composing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Am I right in thinking that only Walt Disney has more Oscar nominations than Newman?

I think so, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Take a look at his list.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000055/awards

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Wasn't a lot of his nominations because he was head of music rather than because he did the music?

Absolutely: Alfred was arguably the Hans Zimmer of his day. He absolutely dominated the industry in one form or another (composer, lead composer, producer, coordinator, manager, arranger, et cetera et cetera), so it's hardly surprising he received so many nominations and awards. Aside from the fact that of course he was a great composer, he probably was an even greater politician!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I made that point when I wrote a little biographical blurb in the introduction to a review I wrote a few years ago (The Greatest Story Ever Told) for my website.

I think taking into account quality differences, a lot can be said of similarities between the studio system and the Remote Control system.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    Martijn wrote

Absolutely: Alfred was arguably the Hans Zimmer of his day. He absolutely dominated the industry in one form or another (composer, lead composer, producer, coordinator, manager, arranger, et cetera et cetera), so it's hardly surprising he received so many nominations and awards. Aside from the fact that of course he was a great composer, he probably was an even greater politician!

His boss Zanuck was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011
    Working on the review now. A Certain Smile is quite monothematic.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote

His boss Zanuck was.

Ha! Don't get me started on the politics and power of the Golden Age studio moguls!
    They could have taught many a Roman emperor a thing or two!

sdtom wrote

Hm.
    That sounds a little disappointing (although....Newman's themes are nothing to sneeze at!).
    Well, guess I 'll just have to wait until my copy comes in.
    Looking forward to your review, Tom!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote

sdtom wrote

Hm.
    That sounds a little disappointing (although....Newman's themes are nothing to sneeze at!).
    Well, guess I 'll just have to wait until my copy comes in.
    Looking forward to your review, Tom!

Also remember he didn't write A Certain Smile. That was written by Fain/Webster
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Huh? Now i'm doubly intrigued!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/a … ed-newman/

My review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    LA LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS...

THE ROBE: EXPANDED ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (2-CD SET)
    LLLCD 1203
    LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS
    RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

PRODUCED BY NICK REDMAN
    MASTERED BY DANIEL HERSCH at d2 MASTERING
    LINER NOTES BY JULIE KIRGO
    ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

Like Christ, Alfred Newman’s heavenly score to the 1953 psychological biblical epic THE ROBE has risen from the dead. Long out of print, La-La Land Records resurrects one of Mr. Newman’s greatest scores, fully remastered and slightly longer than previous editions. This epic score has been given the Redman/Hersch/ Matessino attention it so richly deserves…never has this powerful score sounded so divine. Insightful liners by the lovely Julie Kirgo and masterful art direction by Dan Goldwasser also add to this classic reissue.

Available to purchase on March 27th at 1 pm (PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love Alfred's take on the religious sound in scores like GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and SONG OF BERNADETTE, so if this is more of that, it's intriguing. Although I'd prefer a rerecording.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Nice for people who don't have this already.

Reading comments on this new release I am seeing a lot of praise for the new artwork. It looks like artwork taken directly from the original publicity poster?

For me though, the original Varese Club CD artwork is unmatchable: an arresting image and one that ranks alongside Varese's similar-looking artwork for Alex North's Cleopatra.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. It will be interesting to see what the expansion is on The Robe over and above the 110+ minutes of the Varese Club release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fantastic score! I missed it first time but won't miss it now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IMO it's a far more rewarding and interesting score than HOOK.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have the Varese album (which cost me an arm and a leg to obtain from a "collector" angry ), so I'll be passing, but it's a GREAT album. Better (more balanced and varied) even than his own The Greatest Story Ever Told (plus I like the recurrence of the Christ theme...although I'm not sure which movie was first now! Anyway, suffice to say he uses the same theme in both films).

The only reason I'd consider buying this album again is if the magnificent main titles were presented in stereo (they're in mono on the Varese...God knows why! I guess there was no other version available?)

...How Hook got mentioned in this thread, I'm not entirely sure... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This is one of the greatest scores ever written! (How's that for hype?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hype? Not at all.
    It's stating simple truth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It certainly is. Someone who calls himself a film music fan but doesn't own at least one release of Alfred Newman's The Robe should be immediately jailed, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    angry Where's that ferschlugginer like button over here? wall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I have the Varese album (which cost me an arm and a leg to obtain from a "collector" angry ), so I'll be passing, but it's a GREAT album. Better (more balanced and varied) even than his own The Greatest Story Ever Told (plus I like the recurrence of the Christ theme...although I'm not sure which movie was first now! Anyway, suffice to say he uses the same theme in both films).

The only reason I'd consider buying this album again is if the magnificent main titles were presented in stereo (they're in mono on the Varese...God knows why! I guess there was no other version available?)

...How Hook got mentioned in this thread, I'm not entirely sure... dizzy

That's just my ( still ) feverish brain making loose connections old chum, it's just because both are being released by LLL on the same date and I think I might have been trying to make a point that is lost so.....move along wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    This is one of the greatest scores ever written! (How's that for hype?)

I was being too mellow ( drugs ), THE ROBE pisses all over HOOK and some!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    How Hook got mentioned in that comment, I'm not entirely sure... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012 edited
    I must tell you, with a little red on the cheeks, that The Robe never hooked me the same way like you, mainly older, people.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Does THE ROBE exist in a rerecorded format?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Does THE ROBE exist in a rerecorded format?

I am sure that a single CD release I have was a re-recording. But I am not sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It may have been...but that was entirely in mono, so it must have been a "suite recording" by Newman himself at roughly the same time (as was quite usual in those days for soundtrack releases).