• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    Martijn wrote
    It may have been...but that was entirely in mono, so it must have been a "suite recording" by Newman himself at roughly the same time (as was quite usual in those days for soundtrack releases).

Oh. I was thinking more about contemporary rerecordings. Sound quality is a very important criterion to me when it comes to older scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    Thor wrote
    I love Alfred's take on the religious sound in scores like GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and SONG OF BERNADETTE, so if this is more of that, it's intriguing. Although I'd prefer a rerecording.

The odds of that happening are pretty slim. Now if there were a Newman foundation that was willing to help fund the project?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012 edited
    Kritzerland is pleased to present for the first time complete and in stereo, a new limited edition soundtrack release:

DAVID AND BATHSHEBA

Music Composed and Conducted by Alfred Newman

David and Bathsheba was 20th Century-Fox’s initial entry in the Biblical-spectacular trend of the late 1940s and early ’50s. Released in August 1951, David and Bathsheba received five Academy Award nominations and became – at $7 million in domestic box-office rentals – not only the biggest moneymaker in Fox history to that time, but also the top box-office film for any studio that year. Starring Gregory Peck, Susan Hayward, and a large cast of supporting players, David and Bathsheba, with a script by Phillip Dunne and direction by Henry King, was, as producer Darryl F. Zanuck put it, “an honest, sincere Biblical story dealing with one of the greatest characters of all time,” but also added the all-important “Plus, it is a violent, sexy love story that involves illegitimacy and even murder.” Of course, one of the key components of the film was Alfred Newman’s stunning score.

Alfred Newman, then eleven years into his twenty-year tenure at Fox, had already won four Academy Awards and another twenty-four nominations for his dramatic scores, songs and music direction. Newman took more than forty-five studio hours, spread over thirteen days (mostly between late April and late May 1951), to record the entire score. The orchestra at its height contained sixty-eight players. And what he delivered was one of his all-time masterpieces, filled with melody, memorable themes, drama, pageantry, and emotion. The Hollywood Reporter noted that “Alfred Newman’s score develops in intensity in the same fashion as the story, rising to powerful crescendos that sweep the action to its conclusion.” Among Alfred Newman’s many scores for religious pictures – including The Song of Bernadette, The Robe and The Greatest Story Ever Told – the music of David and Bathsheba ranks as one of his finest.

David and Bathsheba was previously released on CD by Intrada, running a bit over fifty-five minutes and from the then available best sources, which were optical mono tracks mixed in with transcription discs. They did include one tantalizing stereo track at the end of their presentation and their CD sold out in just a few months. But sometimes miracles happen and the complete tracks, in stereo, were found in a vault they should not have been in – they were mis-labeled. Those tracks, in superb condition, were lovingly transferred and aligned resulting in a breathtaking stereo presentation, perhaps one of the best-sounding recordings of any score of this vintage and seventy-eight minutes in length. It is, in a word, spectacular. For fans of biblical film music, music of the Golden Age of film scoring, and one of the greatest film composers of all time, the CD is a must.

David and Bathsheba is limited to 1500 copies only. The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CD will ship the third week of October – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early). To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I'm curious how they found it in the wrong vault. What were they looking for? Maybe another score from that period. Did they find it? Or is that now missing? A piece of good luck yields more questions.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012 edited
    shocked HOT DOG! shocked

Want!!

Edit: ordered. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    Am working on a new Kritzerland release of "Leave Her To Heaven" and "Take Care of My Little Girl" by Al Newman. The theme from "Leave Her To Heaven" is a haunting intriguing one which was an early FSM release coupled with "All About Eve."
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013
    LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN was a little too 'sugary' for my taste, but it's not bad. I had that FSM CD once, coupled with ALL ABOUT EVE, as you say.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2014
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/12/11/m … 941newman/

a new release from lala land
    tom