• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    The only drawback with the Shures is they pick up a lot of hiss whenever you plug them in to your player and the weird short cable connected to a longer cable thing. Quite annoying at times.

You mean they hiss only the moment you plug it in, or does it have a hiss at any time? The cable thing: hmm... why is that? confused Although that sounds overcomable...

The ones I have (and I assume it applies to all the Shure models since that is what some reviewers have mentioned) give a slight hiss as soon as you turn on whatever player you might be using. Once the music reaches a certain volume, you don't notice it... but it is quite noticeable when all is quite. I don't know whether that is a result of the earphones' accuracy or simply an avoidable fault? The cable thing is annoying because you get a very short cable coming from the earphones themselves which reaches only to your chest and then has a chunky female jack connector which you connect to the jack lead supplied with the headphones. It's annoying because it can pull on your ears if it gets caught on anything, which is why I usually have it hanging out of my shirt. It can get very annoying at times, but I'm more concerned with the audio quality which is really quite impressive, especially for their price.

Again, I imagine the 530s sound God-like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    The ones I have (and I assume it applies to all the Shure models since that is what some reviewers have mentioned) give a slight hiss as soon as you turn on whatever player you might be using. Once the music reaches a certain volume, you don't notice it... but it is quite noticeable when all is quite.

Darn... I guess it might be a real 'problem' when listening to Arvo Part, then? Since he uses quite a lot of silence...

Steven wrote
    The cable thing is annoying because you get a very short cable coming from the earphones themselves which reaches only to your chest and then has a chunky female jack connector which you connect to the jack lead supplied with the headphones. It's annoying because it can pull on your ears if it gets caught on anything, which is why I usually have it hanging out of my shirt.

Well, since I'll be using my 'simple' pair while on the move, and these just when I'm relaxing and just paying close attention to the music, the sound quality and general comfort within the ear are my first concerns. I can imagine its quite annoying while wearing it in the train, on the bike, and such. I've had such a thing before as well, and it can cause the ear to plug out of your ear slant

Steven wrote
    Again, I imagine the 530s sound God-like.

Well, that's exactly what I'm going for. I would only pay this amount of cash for a completely new musical experience on the earphones. smile. But since you cannot return them, at all ('cause of hygiene issues), the ones I buy must be absolutely perfect.

How are the Shures in terms of 3D image, by the way? Left and right balance? When I heard King Kong on my previous earphones, the main orchestra tended to be on the left, with only specific other instruments on the right. And that was friggin' annoying, since the main orchestra was a lot more used, so the balance seemed totally off! It also tends to happen with some other scores. Do you recognise the problem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009
    The bigger the better, plain physics. You decide upon your needs.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm actually very, very, very happy with my little Sony MDR-EX71 in-ears.

32 dollars.

I think I wouldn't even dare travel with 300 dollar ear buds.
    (Well, not without added insurance anyway).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, exactly. But as I've said before, my needs (and no doubt Bob's too) require portability. It's all very well having huge high-quality monitor headphones, but when it comes to riding my bike or being out and about, earphones are the way. And earphones these days are surprisingly good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

32 dollars.

I think I wouldn't even dare travel with 300 dollar ear buds.
    (Well, not without added insurance anyway).

Have you heard a pair of higher end earphones? Even going from a pair like that which I used to use to my current Shures is quite a significant difference. I imagine the same applies if I were to go from my SE210s to a the SE530s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah well, you already mentioned a hiss, so that already pretty much rules them out for me. Can't imagine anything being able to balance that annoyance, especially at $150!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, exactly. But as I've said before, my needs (and no doubt Bob's too) require portability. It's all very well having huge high-quality monitor headphones, but when it comes to riding my bike or being out and about, earphones are the way. And earphones these days are surprisingly good!

Well, it's not really about portability, since I wouldn't travel with 300,- earphones either smile. Also, I've read that the clarity of those earphones makes that you really hear the loss of quality in even 320 kb/s MP3's, as opposed to CD quality, so I won't use these for my iPod.

It's all for home use, yet for personal audio, being able to get a full and loud sound without annoying anybody else. But ear-covering headphones are just uncomfortable for me, especially when you want to hear a full score of 80 min. in one go. Ears get sore and warm, and stuff.

Steven wrote
    Even going from a pair like that which I used to use to my current Shures is quite a significant difference. I imagine the same applies if I were to go from my SE210s to a the SE530s.

At the moment, I have no idea how big such a difference would be, but I'm eager to find out! I always thought you couldn't get a better sound from such plugs then the one I was having from my 30,- euro earphones, since it still gets the same CD source from a tiny speaker, but the things I've read about it really encourage me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why? You'd look stupid with the big headphones?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for clarity, listen to music with these or these or these or these and then we talk about earphones again wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can't imagine having to pay for this adaptor system plus hiss in something that costs $300. A trial is the only way to approach this using over ears, a quality such as Martijn, and the Shure. I'd also find the same piece and listen to it at 320 and CD quality. The way I would approach it is you'll likely have these for a long time so choose carefully. If I wasn't sure I'd get the $32.00 Sony use them for trips etc. and investigate as much as I can.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quite so, Tom. That's the only proper way forward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for clarity, listen to music with these or these or these or these and then we talk about earphones again wink

Yeah, if Bob isn't bothered about portability, then definitely go for something like that. You'll get better sound quality for your money.

I use earphones because I like to listen to music when I'm on my bike or when I'm out and about on my own, and big chunky headphones just aren't practical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why? You'd look stupid with the big headphones?

It's not so much that, it's carrying them around with me that would prove impractical, plus there would be more chance of them breaking in my bag. With earphones I just wrap them round my iPod, put it in my pocket and Bob's your uncle (not BodDH). Also, if I drop earphones they don't break. If I drop a heavy expensive pair of headphones, they'll get damaged.

For outside use, it's completely pointless to use headphones. For indoor use it makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    By the way, cheers for those links D. I'm looking for a pair of indoor personal audio'age at the moment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven, those are guaranteed and self-tested in the studio. Especially the BeyerDynamic models, will blow you away. Thomann.de is also the most guaranteed, professional way to shop pro audio stuff. This is where i bought all my stuff and they have very special extra guarantee rates at no extra charge! Check them out. Those BD headphones will stun you with their clarity and bass, you'll hear stuff you never heard before. The m-audio ones are at the same quality as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

32 dollars.

I've sampled a ton of in-ear headphones over the years and the Sony's Martijn singled out of by far the best bang for the buck. I would never, NEVER EVER buy $300 in-ear buds. They are far too flimsy and brake far too easily.

If I'm going to blow $300 or more I'm going for a high end set of HEADphones. They provide more power and far superior sound. The Bose Quiet Comfort 3's are on my list!!! I've put them on a dozen times at my local Home Theatre shop and they are simply brilliant! And since I'm doing more traveling these days those are absolute must haves for my plane rides.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Bose Quiet Comfort 3's are on my list!!! I've put them on a dozen times at my local Home Theatre shop and they are simply brilliant! And since I'm doing more traveling these days those are absolute must haves for my plane rides.

-Erik-

I can vouch for these, I have a pair of the over-ear Quiet Comforts (as opposed to the around-ear). They're never going to be as good as a pair of in-ear foam buds for cutting out ambient noise, but they do a pretty damn good job!

A strange thing I found out is if you turn them on and press each ear piece too close to one another, they squeal like a dying rat. The same also happens if you press them too close to your ears... I did it once accidentally and it fucking hurt. So watch out.

(But they are a bit pricey. Looking back on it I'd rather have spent the money on something like the ones Demetris linked to. They're purely about sound quality.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    (But they are a bit pricey. Looking back on it I'd rather have spent the money on something like the ones Demetris linked to. They're purely about sound quality.)

I would too but they fail when it comes to aesthetics. I wouldn't step one foot out of the house with those monstrosities on my head.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I would too but they fail when it comes to aesthetics. I wouldn't step one foot out of the house with those monstrosities on my head.

-Erik-

I know, but believe me, the sound is at levels you will never get with anything else; the fast that other slicky, flashy and cool and / or portable sets are AS or even MORE expensive, it's because you're paying the coolness and the portability.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I know, but believe me, the sound is at levels you will never get with anything else; the fast that other slicky, flashy and cool and / or portable sets are AS or even MORE expensive, it's because you're paying the coolness and the portability.

I'll spend a bit more money for comfort, portability and aesthetics. Plus, noise canceling is something I NEED!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All those professional studio headsets have noise canceling. And when it comes to headphones' sound quality, there's AKG, BEYER DYNAMICS, M-AUDIO and sennheiser my friend. The rest is money thrown away, check their specs, TEST them and form your opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    All those professional studio headsets have noise canceling. And when it comes to headphones' sound quality, there's AKG, BEYER DYNAMICS, M-AUDIO and sennheiser my friend. The rest is money thrown away, check their specs, TEST them and form your opinion.

Again, I've tested dozens of in-ear phones and head phones over the years and the Bose set is what works for me. I have a set of nice Sony monitoring headphones here at home but I need a nice, PORTABLE pair for flights. Bose has everything I want... great sound, noise canceling, portability, comfort and aesthetics. If I were going to buy another studio set then I would consider your recommendations but as of right now the Sony's are doing just fine... especially at the ripe old age of 12 years.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fair enough smile
  1. I can't remember the details of which specific version of the various earphones I've tried but I have never found anything that gives me as much listening pleasure than a decent pair of headphones.

The bog standard earphones that come with something like an iPod/mp3 player I just can't get to stay in my ear: the slightest movement and they fall out. And they don't sound good when listening to orchestral music.

I tried buying a pair of Shure in-ear 'phones but again they sound terrible - and these were ones that had some good reviews. I have a pair of "half-way house" earphones that are more like headphones but fold away - a pair of Sennheisers. But again they are not very satisfying.

For earphones I'm quite happy with my Technics or JVC "cans".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    Heaphones. Good ones, with sound isolation. As big as possible, lots of ohms so that they're strong and at least 20-2000hz coverage, around 200-300 euros you'll get a pair for life, from the brands i posted above smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Again, I absolutely agree that bigger is better. But earphones are designed for a reason, and that reason is portability and practicality. If I could, I'd carry my 5.1 speaker system around with me everywhere I went... but I can't. Even my Bose Quiet Comforts are too big and clumsy to use on a bike. My Shure earphones are PERFECT for cycling and things like that, where sound quality isn't quite as much an issue as when you're at home (even though these little pair still provide excellent quality for what they are). I want the monitor headphones for uni use and for use in my new flat in September since I can't really use speakers as much as I can when I'm at home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've had my Stanton headphones for 20 years now and have only had to replace the foam once. If you buy good equipment and technology doesn't pass you buy, you've got it for life.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    PHILIPS - TWO WAY SPEAKER SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ...wow, specific.