• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    300 dollarzors! shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    I would still choose carefully and make sure there is a return policy. I'd pay more to get service and return privileges.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    Since we talked about this yesterday, I thought it would be nice to go back to this topic again.

Well, like I said, we have a Samsung surround set. What are they called? Multi-media sound systems, you know, complete, with five speakers and a subwoofer. We fixed it so no need to buy anything new soon.

Still we went to Saturn last week (before it was fixed) and had a look, also at the more serious sound systems. Problem is, besides that it's expensive, that we have a very small living room, so we would have to choose between a table or a subwoofer haha. There's really no place to put all that stuff!

Different question: what music would you bring to the store to test the audio system?
    I would pick King Arthur's Woad to Ruin. Last week we took Tron because that disc was already in the car. When we fixed our thing at home we tried Inception first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anything by Eric Tomlinson (sound recordist). Some of the Gerhardt recordings will provide a good test, especially if you're looking for a sound more suited to acoustic. Best way to do it is to play the same tracks on different sound systems. You might prefer a more 'laid back' acoustic sound from your speakers, or you might prefer a more analytical revealing sound. Those 5.1 ready-made systems can be very good though, and they're easy to set up without having to fiddle with too many settings.

Low-end speakers are designed to sound nice, and usually have the frequency response tweaked to produce a deeper sound and often brighter high end sounds. The problem with that, with cheaper speakers at least, is it forces the music to have more bass than it should. Bass should sound natural, and unforced. Once you've heard 'natural' bass on high end speakers (usually monitors), it's hard to go back to anything else! High end speakers tend to separate the instruments and you'll start to hear things you never heard before (even players' breathing and things like that).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited
    Thanks Steven! That's interesting.
    I have no idea what low end and high end speakers are though...

I think I do understand what you mean by separated instruments, instead of one wall of sound I guess?
    Perhaps one day we'll buy a really good sound system and isolate the room.

Not the living room! That would look ridiculous... But a room for music listening and movie watching.
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited
    My dad is a HiFi freak and has a Hi End sound system for several tens of thousands dollars. It's crazy.

I've inherited some of that, but not to the same degree, of course. I got most of my sound system in the 90's and early 2000's:

Denon PMA-1560 amplifier
    Pioneer 444 DVD/CD player
    JBL TLX-171 speakers
    Beyer-Dynamic DT250 headphones

Sadly, the tinnitus prevents me from using the headphones too much.

My 28'' FATscreen Sony TV is embarassing, though, although it was state of the art when I bought it in the late 90's. And I have neither Blu-Ray nor surround sound yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Low end and high end pretty much just refers to cost! A high end pair of headphones, for example.

Don't be fooled by the many audiophile lies though, you don't need to spend a lot to get a good sound. Obviously the more you spend, the better it will be. But it doesn't mean it's worth going crazy on speakers. As long as you have a relatively healthy budget, there's plenty of great 'low end' speakers and systems to choose from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I suspect what you have Bregje is a 5.1 home theater. Great for your cinematic needs, not the best solution for music.

I have 2 Yamaha hs80m studio monitors self-powered on m-audio audiophile 2496 sound card pci express via a soundcraft spirit m8 mixer.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think Bregje will need that kind of set up though! (That is assuming she doesn't mix and produce albums. wink)

I have a pair of Audioengine A5s for my computer, and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s connected to a FiiO DAC amp (one step down from those HD800s). Being an audiophile is a slippery slope!
  1. I remember being quite impressed hearing when I heard Beltrami's recording of Jerry Goldsmith's themes for The Omem through the 7.1 speaker system in the recording booth at Abbey Road Studios.

I am assuming that these would have been "high end". It did sound like the whole orchestra was right there in the room.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Being a recording studio, and Abbey Roads at that, they'd have that 7.1 system set up to perfection. love
  2. For the home cinema geek in me I'm quite happy with my Onkyo 7.1 surround receiver (up to 140 W per channel), though only 5 speakers are connected and no sub, as my speakers provide sufficient bass in films. The fronts are about 20 year old JVC's and they still sound spectacular, especially when combined with the JBL center and Audica rears. This is more than enough for the little room I have to get fully immersed in my films, and to my ears this even sounds better than the real movie theatre. Put on a DTS-HD track and there's no stopping the sonic onslaught. punk

For music I have a humble mini stereo set from Philips with medium sized speakers from my previous JVC set, not top of the line but I like it and it's enough to fully enjoy my scores. I have my speakers set up so that I'm right in the middle of the action. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My listening is confined to the Marantz CD5004, Rega headphone amp, and the Grado speakers
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    For music I have a humble mini stereo set from Philips with medium sized speakers from my previous JVC set, not top of the line but I like it and it's enough to fully enjoy my scores. I have my speakers set up so that I'm right in the middle of the action. smile

So you do not play your music on your cinema sound system, I mean through the receiver? Why not?

Someone else posted earlier that playing music on the multi media set is not ideal, why is that?
    It sounds great to me. Besides, we can play from iTunes from all devices (iPhones, iPads and laptop) to the receiver.

But as you all see I'm not really into this equipment and I'm easily satisfied, especially after months of crappy sound...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

So you do not play your music on your cinema sound system, I mean through the receiver? Why not?

Someone else posted earlier that playing music on the multi media set is not ideal, why is that?
    It sounds great to me. Besides, we can play from iTunes from all devices (iPhones, iPads and laptop) to the receiver.

But as you all see I'm not really into this equipment and I'm easily satisfied, especially after months of crappy sound...

Because those sound systems are made for the cinema. In such a production here's the distribution of the signal:

1. Left
    2. Right
    =music
    3. Center
    = for the voices of the actors
    4. Left surround
    5. Right surround
    = sound effects
    .1 = sub frequencies form cinematic bass six, explosions and such

Now all music is being recorded edited mixed and mastered on 2 channels , never intended to be played on home theaters. The whole chain of musical production in a way brakes at the home theater. It's a system incompatibility. What your home theater does is taking a stereo recording and matrixing those into six channels in real time based in algorithms that change and basically distort the original recording's phase and frequency balance.

Those systems boost low and high frequencies and usually lack middle frequencies, which hold the timbre, the warmth and character of the recording.

Of course you can listen to music on those and it's a slightly distorted version of the music as it was produced. Some like it. It's down to our listening culture. But it's not what the makers of the music intended. Plus, all the psychoacoustic studies so far suggest that music is mostly enjoyed on 2 channel stereo systems still.

You will be blown away when you listen to the same music on a proper 2 channel 2 speaker audio system Bregje believe me wink
    It is not intended to be reoroduced surround channels And l.f.e with all that bass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011
    I thought the music just came out stereo, but then through more speakers. Two left, two right.

Oh well, maybe one day I will hear it the right way. For now, I have headphones too and I'm satisfied enough with the sound system.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To be sure: D. is right...technically and theoretically.
    But at the end of the day it's about personal preference.

I am more than satisfied with my minuscule forty-five year old speaker set.
    Would a music producer or sound technician be horrified? Almost certainly.
    But I do not buy equipement to satisfy everyone else.
    Just myself will do. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. A bit "off topic" this...is there a way (via the computer's control panel>sound) to switch from stereo to mono playback? I want to switch my headphones listening to mono sound for the time being.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think you can, really. Not with software anyway. You'd need a mono extension plug, or a mono extension cable for your head phone.

But couldn't you just move the balance on the Play Control all the way to the side of your good ear? Granted, you'd get the sound through only one speaker, but it will to all intents and purposes be a mono sound.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    WAIT! I think I found something!
    If you go to the control panel -
    - sounds and audio devices
    - tab "audio"
    - on the sound playback- default device item, choose
    - advanced

Then for your speaker setup (dropdown menu) choose "laptop mono speakers" (or anything else with 'mono' in it).

That should work!
  4. Cheers. I will give that a go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Basically what Demetris said, but that's not the reason I don't listen to my music through the AV receiver, it's because I have my stereo set up next to the PC, and that's when I want to listen to my music, when I'm on the PC. smile

And just to clarify, many modern AV receivers these days have enough presets to produce music through 5.1 speakers so that it sounds natural and as close as possible to stereo output. From my experience it works well enough.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or....or........just buy a good stereo system smile I have a small, relatively cheap mini hi-fi (not micro, i don't dig the sound quality i heard from those so far) (300 euros) philips system with 2 speakers which kicks ass. Very clear music, very pleasant.
  5. Martijn wrote
    WAIT! I think I found something!
    If you go to the control panel -
    - sounds and audio devices
    - tab "audio"
    - on the sound playback- default device item, choose
    - advanced

Then for your speaker setup (dropdown menu) choose "laptop mono speakers" (or anything else with 'mono' in it).

That should work!

Well, I couldn't find any options that corresponded to a dropdown menu in the advanced tab to choose anything other than "speakers" and this only had the stereo option.

Thanks anyway, Martijn.
  6. As peculiar as this may seem: I don't like sorround sound. Not eben in cinema. (And don't get me started on 3D!) I do prefer a well ballanced clear HiFi stereo panorama.

I mostly listen to music when sittng at my PC. I have a standart sound card and a high end stereo system by Logitech and I am quite satisfied with it. I also have a Tascam external sound card, that I use for midi extensions. For some reason I never came round to couple it with the Logitech system. (Using headphones when playing with VSTs.)

In my living room I "only" have a Panasonic compact system. Nothing great but sufficient.

In my kitchen I have a portable Panasonic radio / cassette / mp3 / CD recorder. Actually I like the sound of that one better than that of the compact system in the living room. No Bose, but quite impressive.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013
    Personally, I hate compact systems. Then again, I'm a HiFi freak, and have a father who's even more hardcore (he owns Top End equipment for at least 100.000 Norwegian kroner, probably more). His turntable is on a huge granite platform, has no buttons and looks like it's from outer space. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    Yamaha self-powered hs80m studio monitors on m-audio delta audiophile 2496. And at the living room, this little wonder
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2014
    I just got for free a pair of intersound (name of the company before it became Bose) 3000 speakers, which are 50 years old. I replaced the woofers, repaired the midrange. The sound is quite good and the cabinets are quite attractive.
    Tom