• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. G.J. Joe (but also because I believe this movie is gonna be insanely cool)

Avatar (James Cameron, he's fucking back) punk

The Last Airbender (JNH will score it) smile

Transformers II

Terminator 4 (hope someone good will compose this)

The Prince of Persia (hopefully another good score)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    We have a member from Thailand! I didn't knew. How awesome!

Sawatdee Kha! wave

Yeah, what he said.

I have just booked a trip to Thailand in March (2 1/2 weeks). Should be good. See you there, Grey Pilgrim? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

Sawatdee Kha! wave

Yeah, what he said.

I have just booked a trip to Thailand in March (2 1/2 weeks). Should be good. See you there, Grey Pilgrim? smile

Excellent! beer

What are you're plans?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed, what are you are plans?

(Remember the Morricone comment? Tit for tat. Tit for tat. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Indeed, what are you are plans?

(Remember the Morricone comment? Tit for tat. Tit for tat. biggrin

Okay....I put my hands up shame Your is right wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tip: Anytime you need to use 'your' or 'you're', say 'you are' in its place. If it makes sense, use 'you're', if it doesn't, 'your'. Simple. cool
  2. Is the last air bender coming out this year? I thought we had longer to wait for that one.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet that the Soloist. I think Joe Wright is a great film maker and Marianelli's scores have been excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    One that hasn't been mentioned yet that the Soloist. I think Joe Wright is a great film maker and Marianelli's scores have been excellent.

Really looking forward to that as well and i agree with your points!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

Sawatdee Kha! wave

Yeah, what he said.

Excellent! beer

What are you're plans?

If things go as planned, we go to Bangkok first, stay there for a few days, then take a plane to an "exotic" locale (maybe Phuket...we'll see what is fairly cheap when we get there) and then back to Bangkok again before we head home. Not looking forward to 14 hours flight from Amsterdam, but it's worth it, I guess. Do you have any recommendations, Timmer (or Grey Pilgrim)?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

Sawatdee Kha! wave

Yeah, what he said.

Excellent! beer

What are you're plans?

If things go as planned, we go to Bangkok first, stay there for a few days, then take a plane to an "exotic" locale (maybe Phuket...we'll see what is fairly cheap when we get there) and then back to Bangkok again before we head home. Not looking forward to 14 hours flight from Amsterdam, but it's worth it, I guess. Do you have any recommendations, Timmer (or Grey Pilgrim)?

Not really. two and a half weeks isn't much time so you're definitely doing the right thing by not spreading yourself too thin by trying to see everything, Bangkok is a fascinating big city full of everything you want, shops, temples, the floating market ( a must ), great clubs for live music etc and of course a very open and seedy side ( check out Pat-Pong if you must.....I did ), perhaps even some Thai boxing.

So many great Islands and PHUKET is a fantastic place to go, they do a lot of Island tours based from there including Phang Nga Bay where the Bond film The Man With The Golden Gun was filmed....all staggeringly, outrageously beautiful.

If you have a couple of days spare then a trip to Kanchanaburi is worth while, it's where the real life "bridge over the river Kwai" took place, sobering yet beautiful and also has some fabulous national parks nearby.

I sooooo want to go back......I'm quite envious of you Thor shame wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesome! Thanks for the recs. Phuket is actually a very popular place to visit for most Scandinavians (and obviously other nations as well), so I was worried that it might be too much of a tourist trap (like my charter trip to Bulgaria's Albena some years ago), but there's hopefully much to explore beyond that.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Awesome! Thanks for the recs. Phuket is actually a very popular place to visit for most Scandinavians (and obviously other nations as well), so I was worried that it might be too much of a tourist trap (like my charter trip to Bulgaria's Albena some years ago), but there's hopefully much to explore beyond that.

Make sure you have a good snorkel mask punk wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    Avatar first and foremost. Then Star Trek. Then maybe Angels & Demons as Zimmer's sequel scores always seem to better than the originals.

Thanks to a certain Aussie member, I'm changing my top three to:

Daybreakers (Gordon)
    Star Trek (Giacchino)
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    The Soloist (Marianelli)
    Star Trek (Giacchino)
    The Princess and the Frog (R. Newman)
    Terminator Salvation (Elfman)
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Hooper)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. Seriously, Elfman composing for Terminator really costs that movie a rank or two on my list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Seriously, Elfman composing for Terminator really costs that movie a rank or two on my list.

Why not be a bit openminded and see what the score turns out to be before you come down on it? Even if you hate him, he might just as well surprise you! If there is a film that I look forward to, I have never - EVER - let the choice of composer be any kind of detriment to that, even if I didn't particularly care for the composer in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    Why not be a bit openminded and see what the score turns out to be before you come down on it?

Because Elfman NEVER met my expectations for ANY movie he scored that I was looking forward to, so I lower my expectations based on experience, not on ignorance. Of course I won´t rule out that he can still deliver something nice, but I wouldn´t even bet an ugly spider on that.

If there is a film that I look forward to, I have never - EVER - let the choice of composer be any kind of detriment to that, even if I didn't particularly care for the composer in the first place.

If it´s a specific sound and atmosphere in the music I´m looking forward to, and I´m afraid a composer won´t use that, then yes, it kind of lessens my expectations for the movie as a whole.

If they would get Britney Spears to score Star Trek, you would shiver as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    Not even WANTED?
  4. Did neither see nor listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It might change your opinion then. I also highly recommend RED DRAGON and of course his very good score for HULK, ages ahead the generic borefest by Craig Armstrong for the 2nd Hulk film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hulk is one of my favourite Elfmans. Such a rewarding listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Hm, I never said I don´t like him at all. I like a lot of his stuff, but we were talking about movies or scores I was looking forward to, and whenever I was looking forward to a movie he scored, I didn´t like what he did with it. He was, however, perfectly able to surprise me with scores/movies I didn´t care about, like Black Beauty, or the Title Theme from Planet of the Apes, to name only a few.

But when I have high hopes or expectations for a movie, I can always rely on Elfman to almost ruin it for me. God, did I need a cool Spider-Man Theme, and what did we get? Yes, I know there is a theme, and I like the first ten seconds of the main title very much, but I don´t like the rest of it as a Spider-Man Theme, even if I acknowledge that it is a good theme. And don´t get me started on Batman. That one has been flailed to death.

Okay, then, I´ll do it. ZIMMER DID IT MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!!

There you have it. You may scream now, Erik. smile
  5. Sorry, you wanted a cool Batman theme, and ZIMMER did it much much much better?

I'll cook up a two-note Spiderman theme for you this afternoon that should leave Elfman's for dead! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Missed out a few in my previous list -

Up (Giacchino)
    Princess and The Frog (Randy Newman)
    Prince of Persia (HGW)
    Terminator 4 (Elfman)
  6. Some more films to look forward to...

The Road (John Hillcoat of The Proposition directing this excellent Cormac McCarthy novel - Nick Cave and Warren Ellis provide score)

A Serious Man (new Coen Bros film)

Two Lovers (new James Gray film - he made We Own the Night and The Yards, both strong films)

Shutter Island (Scorsese thriller - but will somebody let him make SILENCE already?)

I was looking forward to Where the Wild Things Are, but I suspect after a year of re-shooting and reworking the project that the film has been defanged to the point of being uninteresting
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sorry, you wanted a cool Batman theme, and ZIMMER did it much much much better?

No, I wanted a dark and brooding score that didn´t sound like a vampire musical. tongue

Beside that, contrary to what is widely believed, Batman Begins has themes (with more than two notes).

I'll cook up a two-note Spiderman theme for you this afternoon that should leave Elfman's for dead! wink

Wow, you´d do that? Thank you!!! kiss

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    It might change your opinion then. I also highly recommend RED DRAGON and of course his very good score for HULK, ages ahead the generic borefest by Craig Armstrong for the 2nd Hulk film.

Looking at what Ralph doesn't like about Elfman I can't really see him enjoying those two scores you mention D. ( though i'm willing to be proved wrong )

As for RED DRAGON it's a hideous score, in the film it's even worse, I know a film score is bad when it actually gets in the way of a film I'm viewing.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    Missed out a few in my previous list

Prince of Persia (HGW)

Damn it, this is a film that could use some big-ass score. Frankly with HGW, I don't see it happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm hoping at least for a Sinbad or Kingdom Of Heaven style score from Harry tongue

But really, I wish someone like JNH or John Williams was given this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Because Elfman NEVER met my expectations for ANY movie he scored that I was looking forward to, so I lower my expectations based on experience, not on ignorance. Of course I won´t rule out that he can still deliver something nice, but I wouldn´t even bet an ugly spider on that.

That's fine. It's really the same I do with C&C releases, i.e. avoiding them based on bad experience. However, my door is always open to exceptions to the rule.

If it´s a specific sound and atmosphere in the music I´m looking forward to, and I´m afraid a composer won´t use that, then yes, it kind of lessens my expectations for the movie as a whole.

If they would get Britney Spears to score Star Trek, you would shiver as well.

Not really, no. First of all, because I'm not that big of a STAR TREK fan. Second because I would be over-excited to see what she could have come up with. In fact, that would be extra reason to see it! smile
    I am extremely serious.